Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

This city street [found in another thread] is an example of too many street trees.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1750+...G0ck-JFUKyJwWg

But too many street trees are the least of its problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This city street [found in another thread] is an example of too many street trees.

Looks more like an example of too many buildings than too many trees. I don't see how the trees are causing any issues. I guess in the fall when the leaves fall since the neighborhood is abandoned... but then, even when they're not you go into some lower-class neighborhoods that have hit a tipping point and everyone has the mentality of why should I lift a finger.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I see only five or six street trees; the stuff growing up alongside the abandoned buildings are overgrown weed trees (look at all that sumac) and shrubs. Not quite the same thing ...

Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
in general I LIKE street trees.

OTOH looking at that image from the OP - the street is narrow AND the front yards are small, AND the trees overhang. It looks pretty dark, I can see someone finding it too dark. OTOH that appears to be summer, when the foliage is thickest, and the shade is most desirable.

I wonder if its the choice of which trees - perhaps trees could have been picked that had differently shaped canopies, so as to shade the sidewalks, but allow more light down into the street?

Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I see only five or six street trees; the stuff growing up alongside the abandoned buildings are overgrown weed trees (look at all that sumac) and shrubs. Not quite the same thing ...

they are obstructing the sidewalk and not shading it.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Presumably someone owns the property. Get the property owner to cut them back. That's what they do here.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Presumably someone owns the property. Get the property owner to cut them back. That's what they do here.

Looking at the units across the street, I would suggest that for whatever reasons (resources?) the city of Cleveland is NOT really keeping on the property owners to follow local codes.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
https://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/invasiv...4/Default.aspx
The worst of them is the tree of heaven.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
So walk in the street. No one lives there, what do you think that gets, five cars an hour? Plus it gives you better sight lines and awareness of your surroundings, something I'd pay attention to in Detroit. Obviously, it would be nice if whoever owned the property trimmed there hedges once ever five years... but then that's why they're abandoned. The original owners probably left it to the banks who just wrote off the loss since the buildings are only fit to be demolished which would cost money while the land they're on is basically worthless.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Looking at the units across the street, I would suggest that for whatever reasons (resources?) the city of Cleveland is NOT really keeping on the property owners to follow local codes.
I don't think Cleveland is *that* badly off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning