Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 07:17 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Good points, Flu....
It cost us minimum 490.00 a month between
electric and oil just to stay 60 degrees 6 months
out of the year. Combine that with having to drive
almost everywhere and you are talking about a whole
lot of money wasted, or getting no return on. Thats a lot
of money on little pay.
My inlaws moved to Florida from Vermont 3 years ago. It is much cheaper to run the AC + utilities there than it was for them here in Vermont. It's even worse now that the price of oil has doubled since then.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

111 posts, read 561,320 times
There are some good things about living in Vermont although they don't outweigh all the bad things mentioned above in my opinion. I think Vermont is a very safe place. I leave my doors unlocked during the day. It's also one of the most beautiful places in the US. It's called the "Green Mountain State" because in the Spring and Summer there are beautiful trees and green grass everywhere you look. I think I read somewhere that 80% of Vermont is covered in forest land. There are also wildflowers that grow all over the place. People here are proud of what they have and take good care of their property. The farms are usually clean and well kept. There are also a lot of places to buy fresh produce, pure honey and maple syrup because so many people are into that. There is a lot of wildlife to see. I often see wild Turkey, Geese and rabbits and of course there are Deer everywhere. Every once in awhile a Moose wanders out of the woods and shows up in populated areas. That's always kind of exciting. Except for "mud season" at the end of Winter, the rest of the year is breathtakingly beautiful. Summers are very nice with low humidity. Most of the time the weather is nice enough to just leave the windows open and not use air conditioning. The grass gets so lush and beautiful that it looks like a carpet and you don't even have to water the grass most of the time.

Winter is bitter cold and the snow can be a real pain-in-the-butt when you have to drive to work in it everyday, but it is very beautiful. On nights when there is a full moon, the light reflects off the snow and creates a glow that is so bright that you can see the shadows of the trees on the snow. And the snow crystals look like diamonds. There are lots of places to ski, snowboard or go sledding. We also have snowmobile paths that a lot of people love to go on. Vermont is also very "bike friendly". Almost every weekend, everywhere you go, you have to share the road with bikers.

Another thing I love about Vermont is that you don't have those pesky roaches and you don't have to worry about poisonous snakes. We have a few species of small snakes but you don't see them too often. We have a lot of places to swim, mostly in Lake Champlain and you don't have to worry about Alligators, Jelly Fish, Sharks or anything dangerous like you do in the South (can you tell I grew up in Florida?).

Vermont also has pretty good school systems and great colleges. A lot of the teachers that teach in the school my kids go to, grew up in this town and went to the same school that they now teach at. They also have their own kids in this school and teach some of their friend's kids, so they have a personal interest in making the school successful.

So there you go...some GOOD things to say about Vermont. I can actually think of some more, but I've probably taken up enough room already.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
There are some good things about living in Vermont although they don't outweigh all the bad things mentioned above in my opinion. I think Vermont is a very safe place. I leave my doors unlocked during the day. It's also one of the most beautiful places in the US. It's called the "Green Mountain State" because in the Spring and Summer there are beautiful trees and green grass everywhere you look. I think I read somewhere that 80% of Vermont is covered in forest land. There are also wildflowers that grow all over the place. People here are proud of what they have and take good care of their property. The farms are usually clean and well kept. There are also a lot of places to buy fresh produce, pure honey and maple syrup because so many people are into that. There is a lot of wildlife to see. I often see wild Turkey, Geese and rabbits and of course there are Deer everywhere. Every once in awhile a Moose wanders out of the woods and shows up in populated areas. That's always kind of exciting. Except for "mud season" at the end of Winter, the rest of the year is breathtakingly beautiful. Summers are very nice with low humidity. Most of the time the weather is nice enough to just leave the windows open and not use air conditioning. The grass gets so lush and beautiful that it looks like a carpet and you don't even have to water the grass most of the time.

Winter is bitter cold and the snow can be a real pain-in-the-butt when you have to drive to work in it everyday, but it is very beautiful. On nights when there is a full moon, the light reflects off the snow and creates a glow that is so bright that you can see the shadows of the trees on the snow. And the snow crystals look like diamonds. There are lots of places to ski, snowboard or go sledding. We also have snowmobile paths that a lot of people love to go on. Vermont is also very "bike friendly". Almost every weekend, everywhere you go, you have to share the road with bikers.

Another thing I love about Vermont is that you don't have those pesky roaches and you don't have to worry about poisonous snakes. We have a few species of small snakes but you don't see them too often. We have a lot of places to swim, mostly in Lake Champlain and you don't have to worry about Alligators, Jelly Fish, Sharks or anything dangerous like you do in the South (can you tell I grew up in Florida?).

Vermont also has pretty good school systems and great colleges. A lot of the teachers that teach in the school my kids go to, grew up in this town and went to the same school that they now teach at. They also have their own kids in this school and teach some of their friend's kids, so they have a personal interest in making the school successful.

So there you go...some GOOD things to say about Vermont. I can actually think of some more, but I've probably taken up enough room already.
Mary77 I agree with you 100%. There are many, many wonderful things about Vermont. In fact there is a posted thread on how wonderful Vermont is. Like anywhere in this country there are positives and negatives. There is a misconception that Vermont is an affordable and even Norman Rockwell like place. I wouldn't feel right misleading someone about all of life here in Vermont. Most people who love Vermont and debate moving here look at it from a tourists perspective. They look at the reale estate magazines and see homes are not real expensive in comparison to where they live or the price of gas may not be as expensive. I feel many of us are pointing out that the cost of living in Vermont is very different from most other parts of the country.
I live here now because I can afford to live here and I get to enjoy all the positives Vermont has to offer. On the other hand if things don't start to change so that most people can afford to live here, then Vermont will be an undesirable place to live.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Really......Just 'cause I couldnt make it there and
had some issues with the next town over I wouldnt
want to see VT get Jersified or Delaworn...Im doing you
guys a favor by scaring off the riff-raff ! ha ha .....
Whenever you get people, malls , crime, trash follow.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Good points, Flu....
It cost us minimum 490.00 a month between
electric and oil just to stay 60 degrees 6 months
out of the year.
This house must be like Buckingham palace! $490 at 60 degrees?????

Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
MVR - I was SOOOO bummed to have missed out on the Valentine's Day Storm and the aftermath...we had been up there the first weekend of Feb when there was barely any snow on the ground...we own a small condo in Stowe, and we were rented the rest of February so we missed out. I was depressed for weeks...
I had a picture of the cars in my driveway during that storm that would scare
off half the people thinking about moving to Vermont. I think I accidentally deleted it from my camera. Too bad.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Kozmic...that number seems really high to me as well? Was your house huge? Old & drafty? I'll pull out our bills and see if I can figure out what our monthly (winter) average was....
Re: Valentine's Day pictures. I think I have some on my other computer. I'll look and post if I can find 'em.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Kozmic...that number seems really high to me as well? Was your house huge? Old & drafty? I'll pull out our bills and see if I can figure out what our monthly (winter) average was....
Re: Valentine's Day pictures. I think I have some on my other computer. I'll look and post if I can find 'em.
I've got a small house but last winter I paid $950 for oil and $375 for wood. I start taking the chill out of the house in September mornings and run my furnace until the end of April. I keep my house at 68 or 69 when we're home and awake. I set it to about 60 when we're sleeping or not home.

I've heard a lot of people complain about heating cost, but I've never heard anyone near Kozmic's numbers.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM

25 posts, read 62,390 times
Default Thank you all....

I actually have the picture of your cars in the driveway saved on my computer, if you like I will email it back to you....the snow does not scare me at all...at times Colorado sees snow like Vermont. I lived here growing up part of my life for about 8 years....so I get snow, salt on the cars, mud. etc etc. I am also from Oklahoma,, born there and lived most my life there, so I can appreciate the non-poisonous snakes. I have three boys, who are ALL BOY and I am always nervous when they are playing outside, just this summer/fall it rained for 32 days straight and a 6 ft. cotton-mouth showed up in the yard, which has never happened....

I will rent first, I have had a suggestion from a couple people I have contacted on myspace to make sure the heat is included in rent. I study Architecture and Interior Design. Until I finish school I plan on renting because I want to buy some land and build my own home.

I am divorced and my child support will allow me to have a pretty nice house to rent and still maybe work for just extra money or grocery money. (little personal information to help the advice I am getting ) I am a simple person, that loves winter, fall, and spring, cool summers, green grass and trees and the outdoors and a place I don't have to worry about living. Colorado used to be very nice...but it has gone down hill so much, there is crime and people who dont care about themselves or their children, I've even had trouble transferring them into a decent school here, so my oldest two boys are in Oklahoma going to school where my parents live. I came here to take advantage of the opportunity of getting a job in my field to gain some experience while finishing school. Somethings have happened that just don't make any sense of why I should stay here and move my family to a place I am unsure about them being now.

I have done many things and I am a talented person within certain job industries and to be honest with you all I have no problem working anywhere while I finish school...my degree is the bigger picture.

My issues are these...my boyfriend who is an Italian citizen plans to move to the US, he wants to teach. Though working for a company until he can gain his teaching credentials in the US is just as fine. I have been told if you didn't go to the school, or live there it is hard to get a teaching job and they are now cutting arts etc etc. There is places like this everywhere and all schools are having to cut something. He is very intelligent and can speak fluently just about 4 languages in my opinion a school would be very lucky to have him teach there....(I'm not biased or anything) ahahaha....I know what the criteria are for teaching in Oklahoma, but from State to state it is different. So, (and I'm sorry I didn't right your name down) If your teacher friend would not mind emailing me maybe to point us in the right direction of finding out what Vermont requires I am more than happy to give you my email. There hasn't been anything negative said about the school systems so this I do not worry about. My boys got their report cards yesterday and my oldest son has straight A's and A+ in spelling, my middle son doesn't get actual grades yet but his marks were all satisfactory....(proud mom) so, my kids do well in school.

I drive everywhere I have to go anyway. My parents land is out in the country, 13 miles to Wal-Mart...and other stores you have to drive 30-45 minutes to Tulsa or 30 minutes to Owasso....so, I am used to driving for work and to go anywhere other than Wal-Mart. I drive a truck so I have been dealing with the gas prices for some time.

Still any information on the utility averages that someone might be looking into or anything else you think is pertinent then please post away. I surely do appreciate anything and everything ya'll are saying...

Also, if anyone knows of some possible jobs or companies..I am very handy, I can lay tile, build things, etc etc...I have worked in call centers, collections, run an office, used to have my own web design business for 3 years though I am not looking to design but I did do all the marketing, office work, paper work, etc etc...maybe someone can point me in a direction to look if you don't mind....

Sorry this is kind of a long post...lol...

Thanks all,

Chelle

Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 AM

25 posts, read 62,390 times
Default I forgot....

Day care, my youngest son is 2...

Can anyone elaborate on how much Day Care is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont