Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM

149 posts, read 89,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seems heat and sunshine is automatically "beautiful" to retarded news outlets.

It could be like 120 F, hasn't rained in two months, with a 90 degree sun angle and the media will go on about how beautiful it is.
Ugh, you are spot on with this. My local weather station won't shut up about how "beautiful" these 80 degree days are. 70 degrees? Maybe. But 80 degree weather is just plain obnoxious in what's supposed to be winter.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
Ugh, you are spot on with this. My local weather station won't shut up about how "beautiful" these 80 degree days are. 70 degrees? Maybe. But 80 degree weather is just plain obnoxious in what's supposed to be winter.
Not to mention both of our climates are very clearly warmth dominated in pretty much all seasons. People can't enjoy something different? Does it really need to be 500 F every day to be happy?

News outlets ***** and moan here when we get cool snaps. It's hot here probably 300-350 days out of the year, you can't enjoy something that's a bit different from the norm? Retards.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 PM

149 posts, read 89,416 times
I also wonder why people who are so frustrated about springtime cold (because it's outside of its proper season) aren't equally frustrated by Indian Summers (which are also outside of their proper season). Springtime cold snaps bring nothing but moans and groans and complaints of unseasonality, yet Autumn heatwaves don't seem to elicit the same response.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
Quote:
I also wonder why people who are so frustrated about springtime cold (because it's outside of its proper season) aren't equally frustrated by Indian Summers (which are also outside of their proper season). Springtime cold snaps bring nothing but moans and groans and complaints of unseasonality, yet Autumn heatwaves don't seem to elicit the same response.
That makes since because the people are probably warm weather lovers who want warmth in fall and don't want cold in spring.

I haven't seen anyone say they don't like springtime cold because it's not in the right season, most people who don't like springtime cold just want warmth.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Northeast is clearly a cool dominated climate so the Indian summers are not very strong usually, except in early September. But I'm very positive that if I lived in somewhere in the Southeast, I would be less than enthused with 90 degree temperatures in October and November. When Alex posts the Miami forecasts in December showing 85/75 days with high dewpoints, I can't help but cringe. Getting snow and cold in the spring, especially in late spring, is the equivalent of getting those nasty and humid 85 degree days in December. Neither one is fun

Old 02-25-2017, 05:01 AM

808 posts, read 710,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seems heat and sunshine is automatically "beautiful" to retarded news outlets.

It could be like 120 F, hasn't rained in two months, with a 90 degree sun angle and the media will go on about how beautiful it is.
Around here, our news media freak out about heat, just like they freak out about cold, precipitation, or anything else. If it were 120*F here, or even 105*F, they'd be freaking out, going "ZOMG WORST HEAT WAVE EVAR!!!!!!!1!" and issuing the stupid "heat index" nonsense, saying it'll be "ZOMG 140 DEGREES!!!!1!"

As I stated in my original post, people around here, meteorologists included, want it just to be 68/52 and sunny every single day of the year. No rain, not too many clouds, and no warmth or cold whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Personally I think 90 degrees with around 20-30% humidity is like heaven on Earth. Optimal weather imo. That said you're in San Antonio so it probably came with like 70 degree dewpoints, I'd pissed too. If I want to experience 70 degree dewpoints I can go to a ****ing sauna, definitely don't want that in real life
I'd agree with that! Dew points in the 60s don't bother me too much; some of the best days around here have had dew points in the low 60s. But over about 75*F is definitely oppressive. One day in late July 2016 here, the dew point reached 27*C (not even kidding), and it felt absolutely gross out there. It was 88*F and partly cloudy, and the high dew point made it feel really icky, like a weird combination of warm and cool and just plain yucky at the same time.

But yeah, 87 during the day, 65 at night (5 degrees warmer in summer and 5 degrees cooler in winter), dew points in the low 50s, sunshine, wind speeds around 10 mph, and a 30% chance of rain/storms on a given night would be absolutely perfect.

And as for Indian summer mentioned above, that can be my favorite kind of weather, especially in epic ones like 2011 when we saw 84*F on 7 October

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 02-25-2017 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: add

Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Humans thermal exchange with the air is optimized at 22°C/71.6°F, it was scientifically derived
depends on the person though. 22c ranges from cool to slightly chilly for me (in 2017, was a different story in 2015 when 22 felt closer to the "neutral" range)

Old 02-25-2017, 05:58 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It annoys me when the weather forecasters call a low temperature of 75F "mild" in the summer when the dew point is also 70F+.

Mild means not harsh/gentle, etc.

That kind of mugginess isn't mild!
some people here even call it "cold"!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:59 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
People who root for cold waves in Spring. I understand rooting for cold weather in winter where it's cool to see how many degrees below average it could reach, or to have lots of snow, but what's the point of wanting a cold wave in April or May? By the second half of April, a cold wave in the Northeast is not gonna be pretty snowflakes and Christmas carols everywhere, instead it will be nasty 40 degree weather. If any snow does fall, it's turning into gray slush the next day. And in May it's gonna be nasty 50 degree weather with cold rain and hail in the mix. Who the hell wants that?? Especially after a long winter
Was that directed towards me?

I get annoyed when people complain about anything that is slightly below average or when there's like one day of rainfall or cloudy weather. I notice this on the news a lot. They want it to be 75 and sunny every single day of the year.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:44 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
I was once annoyed by a weatherwoman calling a predicted 36°C high "very agreeable", back when I was a heat hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.