Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,928,755 times

Advertisements

Judging by the OP, because they don't check their spelling or grammar. Education was mentioned. At a time when it seems everyone has been to college, not even having a HS diploma is a drawback. And there is the stereotype that young black men are criminals. But I have worked for small employers that DID hire black men.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am getting sick of everything framed in the face of race and I just don't care anymore.

You want the truth? Very few can handle the truth but here it is.

Maybe it is because there are so few qualified applicants?

The Bell Curve - Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life
Maybe someone else has addressed this post, but it's not making much sense to me. To start, the average American IQ hovers around 105. The authors in this link state that IQs of 115 and below are suited for menial positions? That executive positions require IQs >130? The vast majority of whites in the US have IQs below 115. So, I'm not really seeing the truth here, but rather boloney.

[quote]The numbers in the links in this post disagree with the numbers in your first link.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 09-05-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,752,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero977 View Post
Seriously, I understand this economy is tough for everyone, but it is especially rough for black men of all ages. I know most of you will give excuse after excuse, or say that they do hire minorities. With a rate of close to 20% usemployment, I would like some answers from because this is unacceptable. We can not have most black men relying on major private sector companies for employment. It does begin at the bottombwith small business's so all of you white small business owners be honest why would you not hire a qualified black man to do the job.
Race (yeah, that's the case, although no one will admit it), or felony changes, or drug tests, or all of the above, or some businesses will use the felony charges and/or drug tests as an excuse for not hiring them although the real reason is because of race.

And for further proof that race is a factor, just look at some of the typical responses throughout this thread.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM

165 posts, read 323,330 times
While racism is still a factor, in 2011, I really don't think it can be considered a major factor.

I will say this, many of the high unemployment #s are the fault of the black man himself. High drop out rates, high incarceration rates (yes, there is racism in the judicial system, but stop engaging in criminal behaviors that will get you locked up in the first place)

Many have unrealistic expectations on the job, especially those with sketchy job histories. You dropped out in the 8th grade, why are you expecting a CEO salary out the gate being employed by someone else?

I really believe that education is the key to getting even on the playing field, but unfortunately, many still believe that "education is for suckas" and would rather sell drugs, not knowing that much of what they do as drug dealers is having a "skill set" even though illegal. Ok, you know how to make crack cocaine (that's a chemistry skill set), you stand on the corner from 6am-to midnight selling drugs collecting money in exchange for drugs (that's a salesman, marketing, economics skill set, etc)

Education was once the forefront of the black community b/c for so long it was illegal to be an educated black person and black people had to FIGHT to be educated like everyone else. So the thirst for knowledge was there and black men ran their OWN businesses in their OWN communities and were successful b/c the need was there.

Now, many run from education like it is the plague.

I'm not saying all, but many.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,092 times
If you graduate HS, have decent credit, don't get in trouble with the law; three VERY BASIC things to get gainful employment, you will have ABSOLUTELY no problem getting a job if you are a black male. Whether or not you keep that job is up to you. Wearing your pants half off your ace, not be articulate, and hitting on every single chick you see, will definitely keep you from staying at the job or even getting the job in the first place. BTW the OP did a good job of baiting people into his argument. Chances are he just likes stirring the pot, and if a white person did the same thing, a ban would be given out. Such is the life of the white man.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It isn't about bias or even race. It is all about the politics of race.

The Politics of Mental Retardation: A Tale of the Bell Curve

What can be done to fix it? Sorry, can not be fixed. It is what it is.
It isn't what it is. To start, if any in this thread want to charge the intelligence of a race or group then the onus is upon you to put forth an argument that employs critical thinking. That warrants discussion rather than one-liners and links. If you are going to post links then you should read your links, see where they agree and disagree with each other and the point you are making. Finally, what you are suggesting here, which is a correlation between race IQ and the reclassification of IQs that characterize mental retardation, is a heavy handed argument. It is intellectually insulting to posit this grave correlation with a one liner. It speaks to diminished intellectual capacity on your part, which is not only contradictory but fitting.

I will make a prediction at this point- you will either ignore my post, tho my making the charge might compel you to respond, or you will offer a response that will in no way show case your superior intelligence argument.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
It also does explian why black women are now out pacig black mean accord to stuides i the business world. If one wants to solve the rpoblem one first has to serious wnat a naswer as to cause. That is hardly likely when the race card is so eailt used by those who don;t like the answers that are found.Perhaps its alos realted to the reason that murder is said to be the #1 cause of death in young black males.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM

The big reason black females are getting further now is because of their sexual appeal, not necessarily because they're more experienced/qualified than black males. The only thing a man loves more than walking into a business to be greeted with a blonde fashion model is to be greeted with a Nubian Queen.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Race (yeah, that's the case, although no one will admit it), or felony changes, or drug tests, or all of the above, or some businesses will use the felony charges and/or drug tests as an excuse for not hiring them although the real reason is because of race.

And for further proof that race is a factor, just look at some of the typical responses throughout this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero977 View Post
What is it with you white people always deflecting the question. It is like you act like racism does not play a role. why do you think unemployment is high in the AA community. Everyone is so afraid to tackle this issue. This is the reason why it's a problem. because peeps like most of you avoid it, thinking everything is ok, when it really isn't.
There's no way a white person could ever get away with saying, "You black people." The knife slices both ways. 'You white people' is just as discrimitory. 'Peeps like most of you,' is not only slang, but another attack and the OP's responses have been seperating the races not the respondants.

As someone mentioned earlier, a lot of small business is a family owned situation -I worked in a family business and did business with many others. However, 1/2 my father's workforce was black.

I do have a question for the OP - why aren't there more black small business owners? Why is the onus on white business people to create jobs?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I do have a question for the OP - why aren't there more black small business owners? Why is the onus on white business people to create jobs?
Catch-22.

In order for blacks to start a business they first need the capital, and that's opens a whole new can of worms (where are they going to get the money?).

And then who's going to support them if everyone in the black community is struggling to find stable/good paying jobs? And in order for jobs to be created there must be demand first.

Look for further than Detroit to see where I'm coming from.

BTW, the white community is well aware of those catch-22s, which is why they tend to red-line and blacklist black/miniority communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment