Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If you can go into your bathroom, flush the toilet and run hot/cold water in the sink and shower, go into the kitchen and find food in your cabinets and refrigerator, go into your bedroom, lie down on your bed or even the floor, and pat your full stomach as you look up at the ceiling and 4 walls protecting you from the elements.....then youre RICH. You have it tons better than some other people do so quit your whining.

Eight dollars an hour will barely qualify you to get any of those in this country so I don't understand why you're making this point. You're hardly going to be able to rent a safe apartment in a decent neighborhood with that money. That's not rich at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not offended by the facts, I'm concerned about the same folks who think it's okay to work below what you agreed to have the ability to vote.

I didn't know that poverty = low quality.
An agreement to work for bad wages is just that. It is not an agreement to provide anything but the bare minimum. I'm concerned about that people who want quality for no money want others to subsidize their decisions to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong. It means one is performing a simple job, thus they are earning simple pay. Many who do this recognize they need 2nd jobs, nothing wrong with that. Many increase their skill sets, add education or training, and move on to better jobs.

Retail and fast food by the nature of the minimal requirements naturally pay commensurate minimal wages. Most every 16 year old used to work such jobs, and almost all of them were doing more complex work, earning far higher pay, not many years down the road.
Yes. And the meantime they are earning substandard wages and giving substandard work. No one but a fool expects anything else. I have no idea why this fact seems baffling to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
An agreement to work for bad wages is just that. It is not an agreement to provide anything but the bare minimum. I'm concerned about that people who want quality for no money want others to subsidize their decisions to get it.
An agreement to work for $8/hr is an agreement to work for $8/hr. If you and your employer agree to substandard work for $8/hr, there's no problem with that. The problem arises when the employee or employer goes outside of what is agreed (either pay a different amount than agreed or work a different quality than agreed).

The real question is.. if an individual feels their quality work is worth more than $8/hr, why don't they just go get more $8/hr rather than wasting their time and the employers time. My guess is that they've tried, and realized that maybe their skill-set is not as valuable as they thought..... and $8/hr is the right wage.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
I can rent a 1-2 bedroom 1 bath apt (or even a home) here for about $600, plus water is about $40 and electric will run you around $80. That leaves you around $300. That leaves you plenty of money for food and gas. Youre not being chauffeured around in a Rolls being hand fed grapes and caviar but youre doing better than a lot of people out there.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
An agreement to work for $8/hr is an agreement to work for $8/hr. If you and your employer agree to substandard work for $8/hr, there's no problem with that. The problem arises when the employee or employer goes outside of what is agreed (either pay a different amount than agreed or work a different quality than agreed).

The real question is.. if an individual feels their quality work is worth more than $8/hr, why don't they just go get more $8/hr rather than wasting their time and the employers time. My guess is that they've tried, and realized that maybe their skill-set is not as valuable as they thought..... and $8/hr is the right wage.
Yes.

The employer should know what he's getting for that money. If he doesn't he's being a naive moron. Or else someone who has no business being in business.

Quote:
I can rent a 1-2 bedroom 1 bath apt (or even a home) here for about $600, plus water is about $40 and electric will run you around $80. That leaves you around $300. That leaves you plenty of money for food and gas. Youre not being chauffeured around in a Rolls being hand fed grapes and caviar but youre doing better than a lot of people out there.

Do you really think that just above minimum wage is "doing a lot better than most people out there?"

Really?

It's crappy pay. You pay crappy pay then you have no right to whine when you get crappy employees. This is basic economics not some sort of bizarre and incomprehensible point. I have no idea why it seems to offend you so much.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 PM

417 posts, read 825,261 times
Quote:
1 billion people of the six billion plus on earth live on less than one dollar a day. as a result, you should be happy you're not starving too death and be content in whatever border-line survival type lifestyle minimum wage in north american could earn you. right, sounds like the talk of someone with either no ambition, who wants what many would consider a boring life unable to indulge in anything, or who one who doesn't need to raise a family they can support and provide anything but struggle for. point being, might be time to step off that horse riding about how how everyone should be happy with what they have because there are people worse off. you can say someone is worse off is to anyone that isn't dead, but that doesn't mean they should be happy with whatever is happening in their life. you can have perspective and understand people's circumstance without loving your own. of course it might help to not be angry about your ' income level' or even happy about it, but saying minimum wage is/ should be a great life is just..

Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
An agreement to work for $8/hr is an agreement to work for $8/hr. If you and your employer agree to substandard work for $8/hr, there's no problem with that. The problem arises when the employee or employer goes outside of what is agreed (either pay a different amount than agreed or work a different quality than agreed)..
No problem..fire them.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Yes. I would work hard for $8.00 per hour. Maybe only until I found something better ~ but during the time I was there, I would work.

It's called work ethic.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. I would work hard for $8.00 per hour. Maybe only until I found something better ~ but during the time I was there, I would work.

It's called work ethic.
I'm glad some people here have some!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yes.

The employer should know what he's getting for that money. If he doesn't he's being a naive moron. Or else someone who has no business being in business.

Do you really think that just above minimum wage is "doing a lot better than most people out there?"

Really?

It's crappy pay. You pay crappy pay then you have no right to whine when you get crappy employees. This is basic economics not some sort of bizarre and incomprehensible point. I have no idea why it seems to offend you so much.
i said a lot of i didnt say most. And yes, as one who has been homeless before (and trust me its not fun) having an $8 an hour job while not great is better than nothing.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
1 billion people of the six billion plus on earth live on less than one dollar a day. as a result, you should be happy you're not starving too death and be content in whatever border-line survival type lifestyle minimum wage in north american could earn you. right, sounds like the talk of someone with either no ambition, who wants what many would consider a boring life unable to indulge in anything, or who one who doesn't need to raise a family they can support and provide anything but struggle for. point being, might be time to step off that horse riding about how how everyone should be happy with what they have because there are people worse off. you can say someone is worse off is to anyone that isn't dead, but that doesn't mean they should be happy with whatever is happening in their life. you can have perspective and understand people's circumstance without loving your own. of course it might help to not be angry about your ' income level' or even happy about it, but saying minimum wage is/ should be a great life is just..
I have ambition but it has nothing to do with money. and whatever is happening in your life, someone else is having a tougher time.

and as for raising a family, I was smart enough not to start one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment