Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The palest-skinned people in the world are those from Northern Europe, especially British Isles and Scandinavian people. Due to higher ratios of ginger genes in the former and blonde genes in the latter.

British

Scandinavian
Saxon, I've been to the UK and I'm gonna have to agree with easthome. I've probably seen only one person who was ginger and that pale in southeast England and Gloucestershire. Most English I saw were sort of pale (but not ginger pale) but blue eyed with brown hair.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The British girl is really pale.. Comparing the two of them, the British is like milk.
She's rare, though. This is what the typical English woman looks like. Nothing like the red head

http://www.edugold.org/img/img_cours...ness_women.jpg

Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes I know about your opinion where you didn't even know whether Britain was in Northern Europe or not. It is not what you can tell me! The picture of the girl I posted was just to illustrate a very pale skin British person as an example, the majority of Brits aren't of course not that light. Nevertheless there are more people like that in the British Isles or among other Anglo-Celtic people than any other people. That's all, I know you're a little "gingerphobic" but facts are facts. I'm just answering the thread question, since it's a known fact the palest skin tones are usually linked to red-headed people firstly, secondly those who are carriers of one of the red hair gene variant may also exhibit characteristics of red-heads such as a very pale skin, freckling, high sun-sensitivity even when they're brunette or blonde. Whether you can see the population with your own eyes doesn't mean anything, you might be still ignorant of skin types. That's why I posted results from various studies on skin phenotypes. This doesn't mean every single British/Irish individual is type I either! The study was done on European populations, it concerning a skin cancer study. We all know what happens to a Northern Euopean population when they expose themselves too much under intense UV light. Australia has the highest frequency of people suffering from skin cancer in the world, the majority of White Australians are of Anglo-Celtic ancestry. Northern Europeans are as a whole the lightest-skinned people, the Irish and British are the palest due to the fact that they have an even higher ratio of skin type I than Scandinavians. This is proven in various studies done. Scandinavian populations have much less ginger genes than those from the northwestern European archipelago. According to the BritainDna Project , 20.4 million of people in Britain and Ireland are carriers of the red hair gene! You might be a carrier even if you have dark hair!

WTF!! Didnt know Britain is in Northern Europe where exactly did you get that idea!! PROOF OF THIS RIDICULOUS CLAIM PLEASE! The point I am making is that you are CONTINUOSLY going on and on and on about the British being a pale and ginger 'race', they are NOT. Most British people are identical to most 'other' Europeans. I mention black British because there are MORE black British than ginger British yet nobody is trying to claim British people are 'black' - theyre not, just like they are NOT ginger! You are obsessed with the British yet you live the other side of the world, I live in Britain I know first hand what the British look like and the fact of the matter is you can take 100 French peple from Lyon, 100 Americans from Boston and 100 British from Birmingham and mix them up and discover that the populace of all 3 places look the same![/quote]

Stop being so gingerphobic! I know that the majority of British people are not red-haired phenotypically most are brown or blonde-haired, O.K.! All I was trying to say was that there are more red-heads per capita in the British Isles than elsewhere in the world, I have British ancestry and was a ginger as a kid. Are you saying that ginger are a different race from other White people? You're insane gingers are just like other White people. It helps to read the topic of the thread, before answering a question. I posted recent scientific evidence of the red hair gene as recent as August 2013 which shows which regions of Britain have the highest red-head gene carriers. Something you can learn. I keep on telling to read my statement correctly before jumping to your emotional conclusions. By the way, I lived in Boston for a while, trust me Boston is much more diverse than Lyon and Birmingham put together! Black people are not that many in Britain, they might be more numerous, only because most immigrants settled concentrated in urban areas, less than 4% of the British are "Black". This thread question was about the palest people in the world, so you are being very disrespectful to Black people.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Saxon, I've been to the UK and I'm gonna have to agree with easthome. I've probably seen only one person who was ginger and that pale in southeast England and Gloucestershire. Most English I saw were sort of pale (but not ginger pale) but blue eyed with brown hair.

Saxonwold to be exact!! You missed my point, but I understand not many people are scientifically orientated or are unable to understand scientifically-orientated statements. I know that the majority of British and Irish people are not red-heads or as pale, yes indeed most English have brown, dark blond hair like my own father's family. All I was saying , was that there are more people who are "ginger pale" in Britain than elsewhere. This doesn't mean that all British are as pale as that pretty girl, she's extremely pale I know that! I even posted results from studies done by experts showing that Britain is over-all somewhat paler than most countries. There are more people in Britain and Ireland that have a skin which doesn't tan than even in Scandinavia, this is proven by studies about the MC1R gene on various European populations and there are more British, white Australians people who are carriers of the red hair gene than they would in other parts of Northern Europe. That is a fact! My pictures were just showing extremes to amplify my statement. Not all Scandinavians are so blonde and so tall either . I'm taller than the average Scandinavian male at 6'5', my hair color is light auburn, I'm pale, but that doesn't break the fact that Scandinavians as a whole are tall, blonde, blue-eyed, right? My statement was that the palest people in the world are mostly found in Northern Europe, especially in the British Isles where there is a higher ratio of red hair genes and Scandinavia where there is a higher ratio of blonde hair genes. This includes people of Northern European ancestry elsewhere, that's all! This doesn't mean that everybody there is a fiery ginger or snow-blonde person!!! So I'll advise you and Easthome to read my statements and analyse it correctly. Use your intellect by all means if necessary!

Last edited by saxonwold; 09-17-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM

It is completely normal to find the palest people in the Northern European region, since the inhabitants for thousands of years had to adapt to a climate which was cool or cold with less sunshine and also lots of cloud cover. This reduces the levels of vitamin D, thus a much lighter skin would be advantageous in order to get more vitamin D from the sun, so it's a natural process. Scandinavia would have a much lower level of vitamin D than most areas in Europe, and the British Isles would have even less than Scandinavia. Thus it's perfectly understandable to more "light-skinned" people would from there, nothing to be offended about. Just as on the other hand, parts of Africa receive a much higher amount of sunshine than most parts of the world, which increases at the same time the richness in biodiversity,the first human groups had to be able to adapt to those extremely hot conditions thus a much darker was by far advantageous a natural protector of skin cancer. We know what happened to people when they moved from Northern Europe to warmer places such as Australia, southern U.S., etc.. this enhanced the cases for skin cancers and many Africans, Asians also suffered from diseases such as rickets when they move to areas which much colder than Africa/Asia. However with the advances of science and medecine has enabled man to live almost anywhere. Remember the Inuit people of the Arctic who are usually darker-skinned than Northern European, live on an extremely Vitamin D rich diet which comes mostly from fish,etc... So diet can also compensate for the skin color.

Last edited by saxonwold; 09-17-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Further examples of the pale-complexioned people, remember these do not represent any single population, due to the recessiveness of the genetical trait. Nevertheless all these traits are most common within the Northern European region more than anywhere else, could be seen as a distinctive trait. Please do not get confused when reading the statement, the words are not too hard to understand.

A person with dark hair, light eyes and a pale complexion

Red hair, freckles, blue eyes

blonde hair, blue eyes, fair complexion

Old 09-18-2013, 05:14 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
It is completely normal to find the palest people in the Northern European region, since the inhabitants for thousands of years had to adapt to a climate which was cool or cold with less sunshine and also lots of cloud cover. This reduces the levels of vitamin D, thus a much lighter skin would be advantageous in order to get more vitamin D from the sun, so it's a natural process. Scandinavia would have a much lower level of vitamin D than most areas in Europe, and the British Isles would have even less than Scandinavia. Thus it's perfectly understandable to more "light-skinned" people would from there, nothing to be offended about. Just as on the other hand, parts of Africa receive a much higher amount of sunshine than most parts of the world, which increases at the same time the richness in biodiversity,the first human groups had to be able to adapt to those extremely hot conditions thus a much darker was by far advantageous a natural protector of skin cancer. We know what happened to people when they moved from Northern Europe to warmer places such as Australia, southern U.S., etc.. this enhanced the cases for skin cancers and many Africans, Asians also suffered from diseases such as rickets when they move to areas which much colder than Africa/Asia. However with the advances of science and medecine has enabled man to live almost anywhere. Remember the Inuit people of the Arctic who are usually darker-skinned than Northern European, live on an extremely Vitamin D rich diet which comes mostly from fish,etc... So diet can also compensate for the skin color.
We are just trying to point out that posting a picture of a red headed pale skinned woman and proclaiming that 'the British are the palest people on earth' is very misleading - the picture shows a person at one end of a very long 'British population' scale, it would be the same as posting a picture of somebody at the other end of the scale - a very dark skinned black British woman and then claiming that the British are 'the darkest skinned people in Europe' and this would be as equally incorrect. Of course there are dark skinned British and pale skinned British but the same could be said of all other Anglo countries and just about every other country in Europe. I do sometimes think that you are unaware of the diversity of people that are found on the islands of Britain.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
The vast majority of British people have brown or dark brown hair, and brown eyes.

I have dark brown hair, green eyes and medium-olive skin (III on the skin tone scale), and I'm English. That very pale girl would not be a common sight in southern England at all.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The vast majority of British people have brown or dark brown hair, and brown eyes.
No, I don't think they do. Dark hair seems to be more prevalent in southern England, while lighter hair is more common in East Anglia/Midlands north. I think most people in the UK have light eyes (blue, green) as opposed to dark eyes. In my family, I'm one of the few who has brown eyes. My mother and sister have green eyes and my grandmother has hazel eyes.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
Most people I know back home have brown hair. Brown eyes seem to be the most common, followed by blue and hazel. Green eyes are the rarest apparently.

Most British people have type II or III skin tone. Type I is not common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World