Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times

Advertisements

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but "Red Bowl" in Tega Cay has really good sushi.

Welcome to Red Bowl Asian Bistro

Also, there is a Vietnamese restaurant in downtown Rock Hill called "Thi's Taste on Main" that is really good and the owner is really nice.

Welcome

There is also suppose to be a really good Cuban restaurant in Rock Hill called Carlos' Cafe. I have yet to try it but I plan on going soon. It is off Cherry Road in a shopping center before Cherry Park.

Last edited by nyxmike; 01-18-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM

225 posts, read 689,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but "Red Bowl" in Tega Cay has really good sushi.

Welcome to Red Bowl Asian Bistro

Also, there is a Vietnamese restaurant in downtown Rock Hill called "Thi's Taste on Main" that is really good and the owner is really nice.

Welcome

There is also suppose to be a really good Cuban restaurant in Rock Hill called Carlos' Cafe. I have yet to try it but I plan on going soon. It is off Cherry Road in a shopping center before Cherry Park.

This was an earlier post, on page 27 of thread.

We tried this place last night and it was great. It is a Cuban restaurant called

Carlos' Cafe
1998 Cherry Rd
Rock Hill, SC 29732
Phone: (803) 329-7171

It is a family owned restaurant serving authentic Cuban food and in a nice friendly family oriented type setting. I tried the Lechon Asado or Roast Pork, with rice and beans, sweet plantains and onions. My wife had the the masitas de puerco or pork chunks, also with rice and beans, tostones, and fried yucca in garlic sauce. They also serve authentic Cuban sandwiches. For dessert, we had the tres leche cake or three milk cake. It was delicious. The prices was very affordable and the owners/wait staff were very attentive. I definitely recommend this restaurant. It is a different experience that you will enjoy!

Last edited by sal707; 01-23-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 PM

196 posts, read 619,581 times
By far our favorite pick out of all mentioned is the Red Bowl. My wife and I can't go out very often alone but the day after she got out of the maternity ward we went to the RedBowl. Inlaws were here and we just had to go out alone since we never knew when the next time would come up, it's been 18 months now and we are still waiting! We have been back several times but with the clan.

I just sat here and read every single post in one sitting it was long but I just got really into it since one of our sore points living in the York area is lack of good food.

Jim and Nick's- It's good but I really think it's a bit overpriced. The portions are a bit large and the sauce is a bit salty but I may be getting picky on the sauce. We have been there twice so overall we got to like it, I will not return to a place if I don't like it.

Pizza- Having grown up with friends named Salvatore, Frankie, and Joey and a pizza joint every mile or two in NJ just outside of NYC I am a good judge of pies. I have been disappointed with any Rock Hill joint. I have yet to go to Empire but may have to try it this weekend. Last time we went to see the in-laws wife and I ate pizza every day while we where there. We got our share but it's been close to a year now.

Cuban-I got to disagree guy's and I am an expert..sorry but it's in my blood I am Cuban and spent a portion of my childhood in Union City then 18 years in South Florida just outside of Dade County. We went to Carlo's Cafe when we first moved here in 2005. The place is owned by Columbian people now, not Cuban, not that a nationality will matter on the way you cook but they are not Cuban and don't cook authentic Cuban. Again I am not a racist but they cook Cuban dishes incorrectly. Not that it tastes bad but it's NOT REALLY CUBAN just like most Mexican restaurants don't cook Mexican. Still tastes good but it's NOT Mexican. Carlos sold the place since he wanted to get out of the restaurant grind, I finally got to meet him later on. While I was eating there I got grossed out, roaches under the planters they have on the wall between the seating area and the kitchen area. I never stepped foot in that place again. Having lived in Florida I dealt with roaches all the time, there are more down there than here and NEVER ran into one at a restaurant.

About a year later I ran into the original owner of Carlos Restaurant, Carlos himself and he had opened a sandwich shop next to Patty Cakes Across from Arby's right next to PMC in Rock Hill. He and his wife decided to get back into business for lunch only doing sandwiches, they are older and could not handle the daily grind of lunch and dinner. The food was really good but I normally do not eat lunch and work a 9 hour day so I had only been there 5-6 times and noticed that he closed up. Towards the end he started cooking regular dishes and they were authentic, no hood, too much cost and code requirements so no fried food. Shame...wish I knew what happened to them. He flew in the Cuban bread from Miami every couple of days next day air!!

OK so I am driving down 49 and see a Piece of Havanna signs all over the place. We get over there on a Sunday at 2:45 and they are closing at 3pm! They were only open from 11-3 on Sunday and did not seem interested in serving us and told us to come back after the new year they will be open later on Sundays. I went back anyway for lunch just to test them before I took my elderly Mother and wife. The food was a bit more authentic but not 100%. The bread they serve is NOT CUBAN BREAD! Strike #1, you may be able to pull that off on most gringo's but not me. I ordered the Vaca Frita which is pan fried/seared torn flank steak and what came out was a Ropa Vieja which is a pot cooked shredded flank steak (think pulled pork) in a tomato sauce but without the tomato sauce. It was wrong, tasted good but it was wrong, it was to be fried somewhat crunchy and this was soft jucy like the other dish just without the sauce. Made the mistake of having mentioned the place to my Mom and she keept on nagging me to go. So we took her and my family and everyone ordered something different, this was a REAL TEST. All the service was good again, the fried bannana chips were authentic, and all the meals tasted good but were not authentic, the cook is using too much creative license. The picadillo which my 8 year old has been eating since he was off baby food had raisins in it, NEVER IN MY LIFE or my Mom's life had we ever heard of that. I had a talk with the waiter and told him about the bread. It's like breaking the law to have Cuban food without at the very least Cuban bread, even if its not grilled with butter and garlic you at least need to have egg bread. He tried telling me it was Cuban bread and was a bit shocked when I mid sentence broke into full Cuban spanish.

Still to this day my Mom nagg's me about going back. She does not care if the food is not authentic since it gives her someone else than me to talk in spanish other than over the phone. I feel bad for her so I will probably go back someday but I'll never go back to Carlo's Cafe, sorry she nagged me for 3 years to go there and I just flat out refused. I'll take fake food over health code any day. Now for you Gringo's if you have never had authentic food the taste is close and is not bad but I just can't enjoy it.

I really wish the real Carlos was still in business, the sandwiches there, I think it was called Sabor de Cuba, were good, the bread was real and the limited dishes he had were 100% authentic and good. Sorry about the rant but I just wanted to let everyone know from "one of them".

Back to my love...BBQ 1st of all MAURICE BBQ IS A RIPOFF JOINT. The place is overpriced 2-3x what it is worth, even worse. They don't appear to cook a thing there, just reheat. I have been to a couple of his Columbia places and they are OK but I think they get all their stuff delivered here from Columbia and just reheated. I give them to the end of the lease term, less maybe.

In order of love.
Pete's BBQ on India Hook Road North of 161 in his back yard. You can't miss it, just look for the Police Officer directing traffic into his driveway, heck you will reach gridlock before that. Only open for takeout on selected National Holidays (4th, Memorial, Labor, maybe 1 or 2 others). You have not lived till' you have Pete's it's a Rock Hill tradition for over 50 years.

Courtney's BBQ in Clover, good Q. Day's open vary so I would call. Always closed Monday and Tuesday, usually Sundays closed but has been known to be open on occasion.

Burk's BBQ on Cherry Rd. next to Carlo's. If you like smoke eat in, if not take out. They smoke right there at the counter and the place is full of hickory smoke, plenty of tables, counter service and fair prices. Quality is head to head with Courtney's, sometimes one is better than the other. Real Q lovers will eat in and re-live the love for days unless they wash their coats.

Slow Smokin Rock Hill on 161 across from Newport hardware right in the middle of the new Wallmart construction site. For now you will need to wait to eat there. The construction has screwed business up so bad they have closed. Turkey's smoked or fried on Thanksgiving or Christmas, they will cater but according to the owner they just can't deal with the construction and serve regular customers right now. Buffet style or by order, usually opened 11am-2pm Th,Fr,Sa. The nicest southern folk you can ever meet. I am going to miss them, maybe 1 more year and they can re-open, if you know them and like them please call, try to change their minds. I think if they were open on Friday and Saturday a few more hours they could drum up enough business since construction seems to be closed on Saturday's and some workers would probably come in on Friday's. Best BBQ hash I have had and the sweet potato caserole with pecans were THE BEST. Fried Chicken, a few veggies, rice and of course BBQ. Different cut, somewhat cubed which is different but great sauce. The historic home is something else to sit down and eat in, guaranteed by law not to be torn down but could possibly be relocated even though the new property owners have promised to keep it part of the plaza.

I know it's out of the area but the best Carolina BBQ I have had though is in Concord, Troutman's BBQ has been around for probably over 50 years. Worth the drive on an occasion and a good excuise to visit Bass Pro Shop.

Highway 521 BBQ is also very good, I have been there 2 times and I like it. They do have Beef BBQ there but I will not hold it against them, their REAL BBQ does make up for that mistake!

Any other local BBQ joint's would be appreciated. Even willing to drive if it's REALLY THAT GOOD! I have been known to fly to TX for a week and drive to towns just to search for BBQ lunch then drive to another town for a BBQ dinner. Beef belong's in Texas but the carolina's needs to keep it to Pork even though I would not complain if someone would open a Rudy's BBQ here.

Hello my name is Rich and it's been 2 days since I have had BBQ.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
By far our favorite pick out of all mentioned is the Red Bowl. My wife and I can't go out very often alone but the day after she got out of the maternity ward we went to the RedBowl. Inlaws were here and we just had to go out alone since we never knew when the next time would come up, it's been 18 months now and we are still waiting! We have been back several times but with the clan.

I just sat here and read every single post in one sitting it was long but I just got really into it since one of our sore points living in the York area is lack of good food.

Jim and Nick's- It's good but I really think it's a bit overpriced. The portions are a bit large and the sauce is a bit salty but I may be getting picky on the sauce. We have been there twice so overall we got to like it, I will not return to a place if I don't like it.

Pizza- Having grown up with friends named Salvatore, Frankie, and Joey and a pizza joint every mile or two in NJ just outside of NYC I am a good judge of pies. I have been disappointed with any Rock Hill joint. I have yet to go to Empire but may have to try it this weekend. Last time we went to see the in-laws wife and I ate pizza every day while we where there. We got our share but it's been close to a year now.

Cuban-I got to disagree guy's and I am an expert..sorry but it's in my blood I am Cuban and spent a portion of my childhood in Union City then 18 years in South Florida just outside of Dade County. We went to Carlo's Cafe when we first moved here in 2005. The place is owned by Columbian people now, not Cuban, not that a nationality will matter on the way you cook but they are not Cuban and don't cook authentic Cuban. Again I am not a racist but they cook Cuban dishes incorrectly. Not that it tastes bad but it's NOT REALLY CUBAN just like most Mexican restaurants don't cook Mexican. Still tastes good but it's NOT Mexican. Carlos sold the place since he wanted to get out of the restaurant grind, I finally got to meet him later on. While I was eating there I got grossed out, roaches under the planters they have on the wall between the seating area and the kitchen area. I never stepped foot in that place again. Having lived in Florida I dealt with roaches all the time, there are more down there than here and NEVER ran into one at a restaurant.

About a year later I ran into the original owner of Carlos Restaurant, Carlos himself and he had opened a sandwich shop next to Patty Cakes Across from Arby's right next to PMC in Rock Hill. He and his wife decided to get back into business for lunch only doing sandwiches, they are older and could not handle the daily grind of lunch and dinner. The food was really good but I normally do not eat lunch and work a 9 hour day so I had only been there 5-6 times and noticed that he closed up. Towards the end he started cooking regular dishes and they were authentic, no hood, too much cost and code requirements so no fried food. Shame...wish I knew what happened to them. He flew in the Cuban bread from Miami every couple of days next day air!!

OK so I am driving down 49 and see a Piece of Havanna signs all over the place. We get over there on a Sunday at 2:45 and they are closing at 3pm! They were only open from 11-3 on Sunday and did not seem interested in serving us and told us to come back after the new year they will be open later on Sundays. I went back anyway for lunch just to test them before I took my elderly Mother and wife. The food was a bit more authentic but not 100%. The bread they serve is NOT CUBAN BREAD! Strike #1, you may be able to pull that off on most gringo's but not me. I ordered the Vaca Frita which is pan fried/seared torn flank steak and what came out was a Ropa Vieja which is a pot cooked shredded flank steak (think pulled pork) in a tomato sauce but without the tomato sauce. It was wrong, tasted good but it was wrong, it was to be fried somewhat crunchy and this was soft jucy like the other dish just without the sauce. Made the mistake of having mentioned the place to my Mom and she keept on nagging me to go. So we took her and my family and everyone ordered something different, this was a REAL TEST. All the service was good again, the fried bannana chips were authentic, and all the meals tasted good but were not authentic, the cook is using too much creative license. The picadillo which my 8 year old has been eating since he was off baby food had raisins in it, NEVER IN MY LIFE or my Mom's life had we ever heard of that. I had a talk with the waiter and told him about the bread. It's like breaking the law to have Cuban food without at the very least Cuban bread, even if its not grilled with butter and garlic you at least need to have egg bread. He tried telling me it was Cuban bread and was a bit shocked when I mid sentence broke into full Cuban spanish.

Still to this day my Mom nagg's me about going back. She does not care if the food is not authentic since it gives her someone else than me to talk in spanish other than over the phone. I feel bad for her so I will probably go back someday but I'll never go back to Carlo's Cafe, sorry she nagged me for 3 years to go there and I just flat out refused. I'll take fake food over health code any day. Now for you Gringo's if you have never had authentic food the taste is close and is not bad but I just can't enjoy it.

I really wish the real Carlos was still in business, the sandwiches there, I think it was called Sabor de Cuba, were good, the bread was real and the limited dishes he had were 100% authentic and good. Sorry about the rant but I just wanted to let everyone know from "one of them".

Back to my love...BBQ 1st of all MAURICE BBQ IS A RIPOFF JOINT. The place is overpriced 2-3x what it is worth, even worse. They don't appear to cook a thing there, just reheat. I have been to a couple of his Columbia places and they are OK but I think they get all their stuff delivered here from Columbia and just reheated. I give them to the end of the lease term, less maybe.

In order of love.
Pete's BBQ on India Hook Road North of 161 in his back yard. You can't miss it, just look for the Police Officer directing traffic into his driveway, heck you will reach gridlock before that. Only open for takeout on selected National Holidays (4th, Memorial, Labor, maybe 1 or 2 others). You have not lived till' you have Pete's it's a Rock Hill tradition for over 50 years.

Courtney's BBQ in Clover, good Q. Day's open vary so I would call. Always closed Monday and Tuesday, usually Sundays closed but has been known to be open on occasion.

Burk's BBQ on Cherry Rd. next to Carlo's. If you like smoke eat in, if not take out. They smoke right there at the counter and the place is full of hickory smoke, plenty of tables, counter service and fair prices. Quality is head to head with Courtney's, sometimes one is better than the other. Real Q lovers will eat in and re-live the love for days unless they wash their coats.

Slow Smokin Rock Hill on 161 across from Newport hardware right in the middle of the new Wallmart construction site. For now you will need to wait to eat there. The construction has screwed business up so bad they have closed. Turkey's smoked or fried on Thanksgiving or Christmas, they will cater but according to the owner they just can't deal with the construction and serve regular customers right now. Buffet style or by order, usually opened 11am-2pm Th,Fr,Sa. The nicest southern folk you can ever meet. I am going to miss them, maybe 1 more year and they can re-open, if you know them and like them please call, try to change their minds. I think if they were open on Friday and Saturday a few more hours they could drum up enough business since construction seems to be closed on Saturday's and some workers would probably come in on Friday's. Best BBQ hash I have had and the sweet potato caserole with pecans were THE BEST. Fried Chicken, a few veggies, rice and of course BBQ. Different cut, somewhat cubed which is different but great sauce. The historic home is something else to sit down and eat in, guaranteed by law not to be torn down but could possibly be relocated even though the new property owners have promised to keep it part of the plaza.

I know it's out of the area but the best Carolina BBQ I have had though is in Concord, Troutman's BBQ has been around for probably over 50 years. Worth the drive on an occasion and a good excuise to visit Bass Pro Shop.

Highway 521 BBQ is also very good, I have been there 2 times and I like it. They do have Beef BBQ there but I will not hold it against them, their REAL BBQ does make up for that mistake!

Any other local BBQ joint's would be appreciated. Even willing to drive if it's REALLY THAT GOOD! I have been known to fly to TX for a week and drive to towns just to search for BBQ lunch then drive to another town for a BBQ dinner. Beef belong's in Texas but the carolina's needs to keep it to Pork even though I would not complain if someone would open a Rudy's BBQ here.

Hello my name is Rich and it's been 2 days since I have had BBQ.
The people who own the restaurant mentioned in my previous post, are Cuban from NJ and Miami, who just bought the place about 1 year and change. They kept the name of Carlos' Cafe (the place on Cherry Road). They original Carlos, near the hospital closed up, the sandwich shop recently. It is not the same person. When you get a chance pop in and see for yourself. I think you will change your mind.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM

If it was a year ago or just a bit more then yes there would have been another changing of the guard over there. I know my son is 18 months old and it was before he was born. I will need to check it out again, if they are from NJ and Miami the food may be right on the money.

But first I am going to have to swing by Empire Pizza, maybe even tomorow and see if the food is as good as the reviews. I am waiting for a real NY/NJ slice, starting to think it may be like the bagel claim....it's in the water.

If Empire and Carlos' are on the money the only thing that is lacking is a good bakery and bagel shop. I can deal without the bagel shop but the bakery...that is hard.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707 View Post
They original Carlos, near the hospital closed up, the sandwich shop recently.
Any idea what happend ? Lack of volume or are they looking for a larger place. Every time I went there were plenty of people and they expanded their menu. I thought it looked like it was doing well.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
If it was a year ago or just a bit more then yes there would have been another changing of the guard over there. I know my son is 18 months old and it was before he was born. I will need to check it out again, if they are from NJ and Miami the food may be right on the money.

But first I am going to have to swing by Empire Pizza, maybe even tomorow and see if the food is as good as the reviews. I am waiting for a real NY/NJ slice, starting to think it may be like the bagel claim....it's in the water.

If Empire and Carlos' are on the money the only thing that is lacking is a good bakery and bagel shop. I can deal without the bagel shop but the bakery...that is hard.
It Empire doesn't fit your needs, try Luigi's on S. Tryon and hwy 160, next to the Hickory Tavern. They are out of Brooklyn, NY.
Luigi's Pizza
13551 Steelecroft Pkwy # 100
Charlotte, NC 28278
(704) 587-6010

and their original location on

8170 S Tryon St # E
Charlotte, NC 28273
(704) 504-2015‎

Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Any idea what happend ? Lack of volume or are they looking for a larger place. Every time I went there were plenty of people and they expanded their menu. I thought it looked like it was doing well.
Not really sure, but a buddy of mine, always told me of that place and one day called me, telling me it closed down. I mentioned to him the place on Cherry Road and being Hispanic and from NY, I know good Cuban food and that the place in Cherry Road, was pretty good. So he took the ride and from his comparison, he loves the place on Cherry Rd. and eats there 3 to 4 times, a week. He loves the lecon asada and the rabos encendidos (ox tail stew).
I totally agree with you on "Taste of Havana", I gave it 3-6 months, before it goes under. Enjoy.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707 View Post
I totally agree with you on "Taste of Havana", I gave it 3-6 months, before it goes under. Enjoy.
Actually I was speaking of Maurice's BBQ in Rock Hill, the place is empty every time I drive by. I think they will be gone before the lease has ended.

A Taste of Cuba...well even though I don't think it's authentic it's not "BAD". Most people don't know what authentic Cuban food is unless they lived in NNJ or South Florida. The service is actually good and now that they have somewhat reasonable hours they may actually pull through. The entire region is lacking authentic ethenic food and I think it will fill a need that some of the out of state people who have become residents of the area are looking for. There is just so much Asian you can take and what is up with all the Greek people running Italian restaurants ?!

We need some real Italians to teach them, I actually went into a kitchen here in York and showed them what a white pie was, they had never heard of it. As usual they sold out and someone else has the place, we have not been back got to see if they know what a white pie is if not I may need to teach them if they are willing. White is usually the only pizza I eat since tomato sauce and I don't get along, I'll eat a piece here and there since I just NEED TO but I fight my need very often. When we first moved here we did not find one RH restaurant that fit the bill so we were making our own in the oven, but it just not the same.

Someone mentioned that Marco's on Cherry Road was good...we tried it 2 times, pizza lunch and a full dinner the next time, never been back. BOY if the locals think this is good I'd love to take them to Wayne, Pompton Lakes, or Paterson for some pizza/dinners at ANY joint in those towns and only after they have agreed that it's good would they be allowed to go into NYC and try Ray's. You need to have Ray's at least once before death.

BUT either way I wish all these business good luck, we need some places to open up give good service and stick around. I am tired of seeing places open and close in a couple of months or less. The more people enjoy a different type of food the more the demand will be eventually and others will open for variety. The one Italian meal I have enjoyed in the area is in Pineville at Bucco Pepe or something like that, it's a chain I know but it was actually good!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM

Sal.. just pulled out from Empire Pizza I am lucky and got internet in the truck for work. You are right on the money, they are not like back home with dozens of different pies but I understand due to the volume here. I had 2 slices and it was the closest thing than what I have had since Jersey! If they start rotating maybe a special pie of the day and a regular pie for slices for lunch I may just have to become a regular lunch eater. Called the wife who works in RH and gave her the thumbs up.

I worry though, everything in the area and I mean the WHOLE area of Fort Mill and Rock Hill seems to have trouble staying open or changing owners, don't know why people got to eat. I got the menu but living 30+ minutes away it will probably be tough for dinner but I want one of everything on the menu now and see how the rest of the stuff stacks up.

Now if we can just get a real bakery to open....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties