Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times

Advertisements

As expected, this thread has turned to utter crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
From the perspective of a recent transplant, all this bickering about counties, suburban vs. urban neighborhoods and ITP/OTP is utterly ridiculous and hard to wrap one's mind around. Just so long-time residents and Atlanta natives know, if some don't realize this already, most of this bickering probably makes no sense to newcomers. We view it all as Metro Atlanta, not a slew of various towns and cities with insular and nonproductive turf wars. I live in Cobb County. I don't think or look like many people here apparently think Cobb County residents appear and think. I regularly spend time all over the map, not just within a 3-mile bubble, and truly love the fact that I can traverse the entire Metro and benefit from all the experiences and exposures various parts offer.

This forum has turned into a bickerfest. It's almost unpleasant and pointless to come here much anymore.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
I think most of the people in metro Atlanta have the same view, this move is not a great idea. Those inside Cobb did not get to vote on this and most I know are not fans of it. But they may still go to games or shop there at some point if it is convenient for them.

People get on with their lives.

There are good people in Cobb, I think there will be better leadership there in the future. And Cobb will move past their history that most are not aware of nor care about.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think most of the people in metro Atlanta have the same view, this move is not a great idea. Those inside Cobb did not get to vote on this and most I know are not fans of it. But they may still go to games or shop there at some point if it is convenient for them.

People get on with their lives.

There are good people in Cobb, I think there will be better leadership there in the future. And Cobb will move past their history that most are not aware of nor care about.
Most people don't like something significant being unilaterally and opaquely decided for them. This can be as routine as it being decided what to have for dinner, as critical as one's career path being scripted (and limited) or as fundamentally pertinent to people's roles as taxpayers and property owners, as in the case of the Braves Stadium. That Cobb County residents did not get to vote, and that the stadium will be on the Cobb Side of 285/75, does not have anything to do with the politics and personhood of the real people who live here. Yet, day in and day out, the usual suspects dominate this forum with their mudslinging and lambasting of an entire county of nearly 800,000 people.

It's really crazy, and I'm just not going to subject myself to it anymore, even as a passive observer.

I'll be coming here less and less. I imagine this theme may be part of the reason there are only just a few active posters on this forum - the ones who take over and derail topics, name-call and are, generally, projecting their stereotypes and preconceived notions on an entire swath of the population.

It's like they can't see the good in any progress, unless it's in their zip code.

Crazy.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
From the perspective of a recent transplant, all this bickering about counties, suburban vs. urban neighborhoods and ITP/OTP is utterly ridiculous and hard to wrap one's mind around. Just so long-time residents and Atlanta natives know, if some don't realize this already, most of this bickering probably makes no sense to newcomers. We view it all as Metro Atlanta, not a slew of various towns and cities with insular and nonproductive turf wars. I live in Cobb County. I don't think or look like many people here apparently think Cobb County residents appear and think. I regularly spend time all over the map, not just within a 3-mile bubble, and truly love the fact that I can traverse the entire Metro and benefit from all the experiences and exposures various parts offer.

This forum has turned into a bickerfest. It's almost unpleasant and pointless to come here much anymore.

The bolded x1000 !!!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Most people don't like something significant being unilaterally and opaquely decided for them. This can be as routine as it being decided what to have for dinner, as critical as one's career path being scripted (and limited) or as fundamentally pertinent to people's roles as taxpayers and property owners, as in the case of the Braves Stadium. That Cobb County residents did not get to vote, and that the stadium will be on the Cobb Side of 285/75, does not have anything to do with the politics and personhood of the real people who live here. Yet, day in and day out, the usual suspects dominate this forum with their mudslinging and lambasting of an entire county of nearly 800,000 people.

It's really crazy, and I'm just not going to subject myself to it anymore, even as a passive observer.

I'll be coming here less and less. I imagine this theme may be part of the reason there are only just a few active posters on this forum - the ones who take over and derail topics, name-call and are, generally, projecting their stereotypes and preconceived notions on an entire swath of the population.

It's like they can't see the good in any progress, unless it's in their zip code.

Crazy.

Hear, hear. Preach it, momma!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
Excellent, really provides much needed perspective.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:

Crazy.
And this is the view of the majority of people I know inside and outside the perimeter. In my years in Cobb, I never heard of this ITP vs OTP mindset. This site is either a magnet for the few or things have drastically changed since I left.

I take the OTP argument just to counter some of the insane things I see posted on here by ITPers. I love the city of Atlanta. I was born ITP. I wish every part of it would prosper. I have no us vs. them bone in my body.

Fact is, I was there when the Olympics came, the new Turner Field was born out of the Olympic Stadium and all the promises and dreams made that Summerhill would become a vibrant community around the ballpark. The opposite happened. It got seedier. I still wish that all major sports teams were downtown, but the Braves made a good decision to go somewhere where the local government would allow them the freedom to develop the area around the park. Some might not like that decision, but I don't see how anyone can blame them.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
And this is the view of the majority of people I know inside and outside the perimeter. In my years in Cobb, I never heard of this ITP vs OTP mindset. This site is either a magnet for the few or things have drastically changed since I left.

I take the OTP argument just to counter some of the insane things I see posted on here by ITPers. I love the city of Atlanta. I was born ITP. I wish every part of it would prosper. I have no us vs. them bone in my body.

Fact is, I was there when the Olympics came, the new Turner Field was born out of the Olympic Stadium and all the promises and dreams made that Summerhill would become a vibrant community around the ballpark. The opposite happened. It got seedier. I still wish that all major sports teams were downtown, but the Braves made a good decision to go somewhere where the local government would allow them the freedom to develop the area around the park. Some might not like that decision, but I don't see how anyone can blame them.
Amen.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

I find it odd, that the Braves organization had a long list of demands for Turner Field development, yet those demands have not been applied to Atlanta Battery.
http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...r-parking-deck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta