Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you speed 7-10 when passing and then slow down, I can guarantee, you are not going with the flow. I have never seen anywhere where the flow of traffic doesn't move at least 7-10 over the speed limit, when traffic conditions allow. People drive that fast even around cop cars. So you are just traveling the same speed as the traffic in the right lane, maybe slower.
WTF...Why are so many here trying to split hairs? If the limit is 70 and I speed up to 75 0r 78 to pass someone in front of me I make a FULL pass then go back to the middle lane whereI GO WITH THE FLOW, not necessarily back down to the exact limit, get it?? And your assertions of never seeng traffic running at the five over limit range you're probably somewhere on the Oregon coast..

Old 03-16-2017, 03:13 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Just happened yesterday, someone was on left lane doing 45, so I got around the car at around 55 then as I start pulling the car suddenly sped up and kept pace with me up to 67 then the car decided not to and I got in front of it. The guy pulled his high beams basically acknowledging his displeasure.

I don't get why he bother to sped up I have no intention of getting into it. I know some folks may have bad days and so do I but I never get mad at someone pulling on me.
This was posted before. Read it, then you will understand.

How To Mentally Manipulate Your Fellow Drivers This is not the lane you're looking for...

Old 03-16-2017, 03:19 PM

64 posts, read 49,922 times
Speed is NOT what is unsafe. The problem is ALWAYS speed difference and lack of maneuver space. That's what is unsafe. A very slow driver causing a fast driver accident when he/she is not considerate and refused to co-operate/share the road, NOT the other way around! Think about it, when a faster driver don't have space to maneuver, he gets into accident because they are not able to get free right!

Also, Speed Limit does NOT EVER matter. You need to UNDERSTAND Speed Limit is NOT created for safety at all. Speed Limit is a human construct created for nothing but $$$. Look it up! The number posted on the Speed Limit is NEVER an indication that someone is dangerous if they go well above that. You might want to enlighten yourself on this, if you don't already know. Please EDUCATE yourself! You can go as fast as you want as long as you don't get blocked by other drivers you won't get into accident (Now or EVER) and that is just a FACT, unless you can't control a car good or not pay attention to the road!

So, I will say it again - Speed Limit is NOT created for safety at all!!! Sadly too many people are just really ignorant about this concept.

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-16-2017 at 03:43 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
WTF...Why are so many here trying to split hairs? If the limit is 70 and I speed up to 75 0r 78 to pass someone in front of me I make a FULL pass then go back to the middle lane whereI GO WITH THE FLOW, not necessarily back down to the exact limit, get it?? And your assertions of never seeng traffic running at the five over limit range you're probably somewhere on the Oregon coast..
You are not getting it. The normal flow of traffic, even if there is a police car traveling near by is about 75 to 80 mph in a 70 mph zone. So you are not speeding up to pass traffic, you are actually slowing down when passing. You are the perfect example of a left lane blocker.

As for Oregon Coast traffic, it's the same as everywhere else I have driven. The flow of traffic is 5-10 over the speed limit. Except for tourists who are admiring the view. They often slow down to 20 mph under the speed limit.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
If you speed 7-10 when passing and then slow down, I can guarantee, you are not going with the flow. I have never seen anywhere where the flow of traffic doesn't move at least 7-10 over the speed limit, when traffic conditions allow. People drive that fast even around cop cars. So you are just traveling the same speed as the traffic in the right lane, maybe slower.
I drive on I35 just about every day. Since getting involved with these discussions a few years back, I've paid close attention. Traffic here generally goes ~ 5 mph over the limit, with a few outliers (who, by their very nature, aren't going with the flow of traffic, they're exceeding it - slow traffic tends to be in the right or middle lane). That's in any lane.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I drive on I35 just about every day. Since getting involved with these discussions a few years back, I've paid close attention. Traffic here generally goes ~ 5 mph over the limit, with a few outliers (who, by their very nature, aren't going with the flow of traffic, they're exceeding it - slow traffic tends to be in the right or middle lane). That's in any lane.
I should have said traffic goes 5-10 over the speed limit. I was using the other posters number for the speed they drive when passing. I have never driven in Texas, but from what I have heard, Texans drive pretty fast. I have a feeling that the average speed of traffic is a bit more the 0-5 over the speed limit there. Could it be just a little bit faster than you think it's going?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
Speed is NOT what is unsafe. The problem is ALWAYS speed difference and lack of maneuver space. That's what is unsafe. A very slow driver causing a fast driver accident when he/she is not considerate and refused to co-operate/share the road, NOT the other way around!

Speed Limit does NOT matter. You need to UNDERSTAND Speed Limit is NOT created for safety at all. Speed Limit is a human construct created for nothing but $$$. Look it up! The number posted on the Speed Limit is NEVER an indication that someone is dangerous if they go well above that. You might want to enlighten yourself on this, if you don't already know. You can go as fast as you want as long as you don't get blocked by other drivers you won't get into accident (Now or EVER) and that is just a FACT, unless you can't control a car good or not pay attention to the road!
Yes, speed difference is a major problem. That's why, if everyone drove close to the speed limit, not much faster or slower than the limit, the roads would be a lot safer. It's not just the much slower drivers that cause the problem - the much faster driivers do, too. But they are the ones pointing the finger at everyone but themselves as being the cause of the problem (that old immaturity and inability to take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions thing).

Like I said, I hung out with people who had nothing to prove on the public roads because they had no insecurities that made it NECESSARY for them to drive fast anywhere but on the track. They treated the public roads like a black belt would treat a street fight - they were the experts, so they were responsible for not endangering others who were not as good at driving as they were. In other words, maturity.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I should have said traffic goes 5-10 over the speed limit. I was using the other posters number for the speed they drive when passing. I have never driven in Texas, but from what I have heard, Texans drive pretty fast. I have a feeling that the average speed of traffic is a bit more the 0-5 over the speed limit there. Could it be just a little bit faster than you think it's going?
Nope. Like I said, I keep a close eye on it since being involved in these discussions to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about. (It did occur to me early on that maybe I was seeing things incorrectly as far as how fast people drive and so I decided to double check myself - it's was people who are addicted to research as I am do.) With few exceptions, it's right at 4-6 mph over the limit for the vast majority of the drivers. The outliers go faster - a lot faster - but I'm talking about what the flow of traffic actually is.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, speed difference is a major problem. That's why, if everyone drove close to the speed limit, not much faster or slower than the limit, the roads would be a lot safer. It's not just the much slower drivers that cause the problem - the much faster driivers do, too. But they are the ones pointing the finger at everyone but themselves as being the cause of the problem (that old immaturity and inability to take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions thing).

Like I said, I hung out with people who had nothing to prove on the public roads because they had no insecurities that made it NECESSARY for them to drive fast anywhere but on the track. They treated the public roads like a black belt would treat a street fight - they were the experts, so they were responsible for not endangering others who were not as good at driving as they were. In other words, maturity.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM

The BEST way to address slow drivers block the left lane is for more police to start stop and issue tickets to them HAHA!

https://usnews.newsvine.com/_news/20...h-in-a-65-zone

Too many ignorant people sadly just don't get it, and think "You've got to be kidding me" doing the thing they not aware is wrong. Have them find out it's wrong, by ticketing them. That will TEACH them LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive