Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 02:23 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Giants fans always enjoy beating the Dodgers, but I'm not kidding myself about the quality difference between the teams. At the moment, my focus has been on wondering which, if any, of the players on the field will be part of the next competitive Giants team.
I'm wondering if even Gabe Kapler will be apart as the next competitive Giants team. I realize generally speaking managers tend to do better their second go arounds (Bob Melvin, AJ Hinch for example, even Matt Williams is doing surprisingly well in the KBO) then their first, but from the 2 years I saw Kapler in Philadelphia nothing told me he should be at the controls of a team that wants to compete for/win a World Series. Maybe that's changed?? Only time will tell I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 05:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'm wondering if even Gabe Kapler will be apart as the next competitive Giants team. I realize generally speaking managers tend to do better their second go arounds (Bob Melvin, AJ Hinch for example, even Matt Williams is doing surprisingly well in the KBO) then their first, but from the 2 years I saw Kapler in Philadelphia nothing told me he should be at the controls of a team that wants to compete for/win a World Series. Maybe that's changed?? Only time will tell I guess...
The difference is that with the Giants, Kapler enjoys very strong backing from Farhan Zaidi, something he didn't get from Andy MacPhail in Philadelphia. MacPhail is a third generation baseball executive with 38 years of experience as a GM. Kapler, the ultra modernist, clashed with him. Zaidi is a progressive and he very much wants the innovations Kapler brings. The Giants old guard, Posey, Crawford, Sandoval, Belt, Bumgarner et al, were all Bochy players, used to his low key approach, and probably won't see Kapler as an improvement, but they are going to all be gone in another year or two.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:03 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Suspended 8 games? for what???????? Kelly was taunted by the cheating Astros, he had zero control over all of his pitches which should have been obvious to anyone watching the game. What a crock.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Giants fans always enjoy beating the Dodgers, but I'm not kidding myself about the quality difference between the teams. At the moment, my focus has been on wondering which, if any, of the players on the field will be part of the next competitive Giants team.
can certainly understand: we Dodger fans feel the same when it comes to win/lose and I had to live 5 years in the bay area as a Rams fan and Dodger lover: AT least that was back in the Kofax, Padres, Drysdale era with names like Maury Wills and Tommy Davis behind them.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Suspended 8 games? for what???????? Kelly was taunted by the cheating Astros, he had zero control over all of his pitches which should have been obvious to anyone watching the game. What a crock.
When you throw a 3-0 pitch over a hitter's head, you are going to have a hard time selling it as an accident. 3-0 is when you try to get it down the middle because you figure the batter is taking. Only Kelly knows for sure and of course his claims must be colored by self interest.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Totally agree, but life goes on and 8 games isn't the end of the world.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:26 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Totally agree, but life goes on and 8 games isn't the end of the world.
8 games in a 60 game season is a lot. Cheating Astros don't get punished?

Old 07-30-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
8 games in a 60 game season is a lot. Cheating Astros don't get punished?
It is equal to 21.6 games in a 162 game season. Among the reasons that it is severe are:
1. This was Kelly's second suspension for throwing at a batter, he served six days in 2018.
2. Manfred wants to send a strong message that retaliations for the Astros cheating scandal will not be tolerated, especially in a season where contagious contacts are to be avoided.

The seeming unfairness of it stems from the league punishment falling upon Houston management, but not on any of the Astro players. Manfred's report described the scandal as a "player driven scheme" so it seems unjust that they suffered no penalties. Kelly was probably reacting to that.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
The optics are bad throwing at his head, but really watch the inning, Kelly was all over the place. If he actually wanted to hit him in the head for God knows what reason, the pitch probably goes outside, so 8 games is really harsh. You know there's gonna be more Astros that get thrown at, if not before then, than definitely when the Astros visit LA later on this season, what's gonna be the punishment for when a pitcher actually connects and plunks an Astro?? 20 games??

Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
And..................the Dodgers are looking up at the Rockies in the West race. San Diego is right behind L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball