Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 08:30 AM

461 posts, read 333,028 times

Advertisements

The Revolt. Its about the Governor of Va declaring independence from the US and establishing a Theocratic government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I have gone from enjoying Fates and Furies to being engrossed in Fates and Furies!

However, the author has this odd little habit of inserting herself into the story every now and then. She drops parentheses into the middle of a paragraph with "outsider's comments". I'm sure there is a literary term for this and I'm not sure what it is, but I call it annoying. I'm not describing this very well so here are a couple of examples:

At last she nodded and bussed her tray and left; and as this was her last night at the residency, he wouldn't see her again (Her death would be soon and sudden. Ski tumble; embolism.)

Thirty and still a nothing. Kills you slowly, failure. As Sallie would have said, he done been bled out. (Perhaps we love him more like this; humbled)

Its like the author is trying to butt in on my reading experience and I don't really need the help or distraction. It would be like enjoying a nice dinner at a restaurant and having the chef lean over your shoulder and say "milk was substituted for the heavy cream".

To be fair, she doesn't do it often - I had to scroll many pages between instances. As distracting as that little quirk is, this is still the best book I've read in a while.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff is the book for any Donna Tartt Secret History lovers.... I'm really digging it.

So far..... (says the reader who has been burned by the second half on more than one occasion)
I have Groff's book on hold at the library. Really enjoyed The Secret History.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have gone from enjoying Fates and Furies to being engrossed in Fates and Furies!

However, the author has this odd little habit of inserting herself into the story every now and then. She drops parentheses into the middle of a paragraph with "outsider's comments". I'm sure there is a literary term for this and I'm not sure what it is, but I call it annoying. I'm not describing this very well so here are a couple of examples:

At last she nodded and bussed her tray and left; and as this was her last night at the residency, he wouldn't see her again (Her death would be soon and sudden. Ski tumble; embolism.)

Thirty and still a nothing. Kills you slowly, failure. As Sallie would have said, he done been bled out. (Perhaps we love him more like this; humbled)

Its like the author is trying to butt in on my reading experience and I don't really need the help or distraction. It would be like enjoying a nice dinner at a restaurant and having the chef lean over your shoulder and say "milk was substituted for the heavy cream".

To be fair, she doesn't do it often - I had to scroll many pages between instances. As distracting as that little quirk is, this is still the best book I've read in a while.
Not sure about the title, but think it was The Invention of Wings. It was the book where Oprah had inserted her comments. I would find it very annoying.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Fates and Furies has been on my TBR but I think I'll move it up to the top.

Still reading Hearts of Atlantis by Stephen King. While it's not great, it's not awful either. Apparently it's actually two novellas and 3 short stories tied together. Didn't know that when I started it and I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished Jamrach's Menagerie last night. I am on my iPad and can't link but the book is gorgeous. I did not entirely lose myself in it due to numerous starts and stops as the result of work being done on the kitchen, but I think it is a lose-yourself kind of book. It is set the in the time of the sailing and whaling ships and is essentially a lost-at-sea story. It reminded me of Swiss Family Robinson in a way, even though much of the action takes place at sea and it is not a children's story. I gave it five stars as I did not see anything that could have been improved upon.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:19 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished One of Us by Tawni O'Dell. I don't know why I decided to read it but I'm sure glad I did.
It's a very good book and is character driven which is one of the things I love about the book.

One of Us - Kindle edition by Tawni O'Dell. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

This morning I started The Storied Live of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Oh, my. This is about a small bookstore on an island. It is also the only bookstore on the island. It's wonderful and it is pitched to those of us who love books.

http://www.amazon.com/Storied-Life-J...abrielle+zevin

Old 12-07-2015, 03:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I had a few false starts -- books that I thought that I'd like... but didn't... and tossed aside.
I had a long stretch of not even bothering to try to read any book.
And this evening I just started His Whole Life by Elizabeth Hay.

She's a Canadian writer so there are more reviews on Amazon.ca than there are on Amazon.com, and far more on Goodreads.

I just finished the first chapter. So far, so good.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:18 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,963 times
I need a new book recommendation.

I love murder mysteries, especially if they're historical pieces.

I've tried to read through many of these pages but there are just so many to get through.

Do you gents/ladies have any good recommendations to share with me?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I had a few false starts -- books that I thought that I'd like... but didn't... and tossed aside.
I had a long stretch of not even bothering to try to read any book.
And this evening I just started His Whole Life by Elizabeth Hay.

She's a Canadian writer so there are more reviews on Amazon.ca than there are on Amazon.com, and far more on Goodreads.

I just finished the first chapter. So far, so good.
I shouldn't have posted about it.

I'll try again. A different book. Another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books