Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Or Nickle and dimed - : on (not) getting by in America / Barbara Ehrenreich.

Summary
Nickel and Dimed is a modern classic that deftly portrays the plight of America's working-class poor. Author Barbara Ehrenreich decides to see if she can scratch out a comfortable living in blue-collar America. What she discovers is a culture of desperation, where workers often take multiple low-paying jobs just to keep a roof overhead.

Also available on tape. A glimpse into other lives.
That's the modern classic work in the genre. The place to start, and the book to which any book having anything to do with economic justice is compared. Really, that's a must read for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I'm about halfway through The Book of Wonders, a collection of short stories by Douglas Trevor.

Really enjoying it. It's remarkable, how many "voices" this author has.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Hi there; I took a break from reading for a little while; haven't been around. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good uplifting novel? fiction or non-fiction, good author. My all time favorite books are The Thornbirds, and Dr. Zhivago. (tall order for comps I know) I'll be 'cooped' up for awhile. Thank you.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thanks, all! We traded the Texas Gulf Coast for the mountains of Appalachia and all in all it's been a good move. We are just a few blocks from a fabulous library and I got my card first thing.

I'm currently reading Missoula, non-fiction, by Jon Krakauer about a rape and the justice system in a college town. So far it's mostly upsetting, but I'll keep at it.
Welcome to my 'territory'; hope you are loving it here. I use the awesome libraries near Brevard and Hendersonville. Best wishes on your relocation.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm about halfway through The Book of Wonders, a collection of short stories by Douglas Trevor.

Really enjoying it. It's remarkable, how many "voices" this author has.

Yay! I'm not the only short story lover here!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Hi there; I took a break from reading for a little while; haven't been around. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good uplifting novel? fiction or non-fiction, good author. My all time favorite books are The Thornbirds, and Dr. Zhivago. (tall order for comps I know) I'll be 'cooped' up for awhile. Thank you.

Trying to think of more, but I often suggest:
The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society

https://www.amazon.com/Guernsey-Lite...45115540&psc=1

and the author also wrote The Truth According to US
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_tkin_p1_i2

Both were really sweet.

Another I read recently---also so sweet.
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
https://www.amazon.com/Curious-Charm...+arthur+pepper

Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Welcome to my 'territory'; hope you are loving it here. I use the awesome libraries near Brevard and Hendersonville. Best wishes on your relocation.
Thank you! I am loving it and am not even minding the cold so far. We're in SW VA, so fairly close to you, but not close enough to share a library.

For book ideas, the first thing that came to mind was Molok'ai, if you like big, sweeping stories. Or maybe East of Eden, one of my all-time favorites.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Or Nickle and dimed - : on (not) getting by in America / Barbara Ehrenreich.

Summary
Nickel and Dimed is a modern classic that deftly portrays the plight of America's working-class poor. Author Barbara Ehrenreich decides to see if she can scratch out a comfortable living in blue-collar America. What she discovers is a culture of desperation, where workers often take multiple low-paying jobs just to keep a roof overhead.

Also available on tape. A glimpse into other lives.
I read that so long ago that much has faded from memory, but the chapter about her job at Walmart seems to be burned in deeply. The accounts of employee hardships was expected. The description of strategies to encourage impulse buying was not—and fascinating in an almost horrifying way. Made me glad I consider shopping a chore, not entertainment.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

Both were really sweet.

Another I read recently---also so sweet.
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
https://www.amazon.com/Curious-Charm...+arthur+pepper
I recently read The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper and although different from my usual reading material, it was just the right thing to soothe my mind.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

Both were really sweet.
Loved Potato Peel! Just got (borrowed) The Truth According to Us (kindle).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books