Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

I got halfway through with All the Lost Things by Michelle Sacks, and decided to read the end and have decided not to continue reading it. It starts off joyfully. The entire book is narrated in the voice of a 7 year old, who sounds a lot like Junie B Jones. Very delightful and cute. And slowly it turns darker and darker, so I wanted to cut to the chase and see what was going on.

Anyway, well-written and engaging, but painful.

I'd give it a 4.5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
I was on a trip to Guatemala with my son and was hoping I'd have lots of time to read. Unfortunately, I ended up with almost no time to read, so I wasn't able to finish American Founders: How People of African Descent Established Freedom in the New World, like I had hoped. I don't have too much left, but I had to put it aside to do a marathon read of Where the Crawdads Sing for my book club tonight. I'm about halfway done, and I am hoping I can get through it before the meeting.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:56 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole #18 / Joe Pike #7), Robert Crais 2019.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I was on a trip to Guatemala with my son and was hoping I'd have lots of time to read. Unfortunately, I ended up with almost no time to read, so I wasn't able to finish American Founders: How People of African Descent Established Freedom in the New World, like I had hoped. I don't have too much left, but I had to put it aside to do a marathon read of Where the Crawdads Sing for my book club tonight. I'm about halfway done, and I am hoping I can get through it before the meeting.
If you can't, I'd advise you to read the last few pages of the book before you go to Book Club.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you can't, I'd advise you to read the last few pages of the book before you go to Book Club.
Phew! I just finished. I found those last few pages to be satisfying. I enjoyed this book, but I don't have the same level of head over heels in love feeling about it that many others seem to have. It's a good novel, and I'd recommend it if someone was looking specifically for a novel. It's not one, though, that I want to shout out to everyone that they absolutely must read.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:57 PM

385 posts, read 205,698 times
I just completed The Whisper Man after just receiving it the day before yesterday. Very suspenseful! The author is Alex North. I also received Dominicana by Angie Cruz and The Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood. I will write more about them later. Happy Reading!

Old 08-07-2019, 09:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Apparently I only like one of Eloisa James' books, because I've tried 2 more and wasn't into it. So a vast parade of audio books have come and gone, and right now I am trying Kill All Normies, it's about the internet and politics, 8chan and stuff like that. It has a 50/50 chance of surviving the next 24 hours.

I am now reading Into the Water, by Paula Hopkins and about half way through, and enjoying it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-08-2019, 07:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I just finished One True Thing. This is the first book in a while that I couldn't put down. Anna Quindlen is amazingly talented with the words, but it was her ability to make the home and the family so real that I felt like I was there with Kate and Ellen.

My only daughter recently graduated from college and moved away to begin her career in another city. She told me once that her biggest fear is that I will get sick and won't let her come home to take care of me. I don't think she obsesses about this fear - it seems more like a passing concern that she just happened to voice to me, but I will definitely NOT be recommending One True Thing to my sweet girl!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Kiss the sky

Scholars of mayhem : my father's secret war in Nazi-occupied France / Daniel C. Guiet and Timothy K. Smith, c2019, Penguin Press, 940.5421 GUIE.

Subjects
• Guiet, Jean Claude.
• Great Britain. -- Special Operations Executive -- Biography.
• Spies -- United States -- Biography.
• Espionage, American -- France -- History -- 20th century.
• World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- Great Britain.
• World War, 1939-1945 -- Military intelligence -- France.
• World War, 1939-1945 -- Underground movements -- France.
• Espionage, British -- France.

Summary
• "The astonishing untold story of the author's father, the lone American on a 4-person SOE commando team dropped behind German lines in France, whose epic feats of irregular warfare proved vital in keeping Nazi tanks away from Normandy after D-Day"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
• xvii, 252 pages : photos, maps, drawings, chapter notes, index

An amazing story. Well worth reading – there’s very little coverage of the teams that dropped into France. Many were lost, & their files have been destroyed, sanitized, or are still secret. Or there are still political reasons to downplay their efforts.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM

74,131 posts, read 1,836,105 times
Redemption Road by John Hart, about half way done.
Not bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books