Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Whitley Strieber's 2012 is more horror than scifi (unless you count the fact the "monsters" are aliens from a parallel universe as the scifi part that is). Supposedly Strieber had his own personal 1st person interaction with aliens which he wrote about in Communion
Have you read any of Bentley Little's books? For a while there his books and Strieber's were somewhat similar. However, Strieber never scared me the way Little does. I read a couple of duds by Little and rarely read his stuff these days. I have not read any of Strieber's in a long time but I used to like both of them very much.

The last Little book I read scared the daylights out of me.

As a result I am now afraid of stacks of rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Call up World War Z on amazon. Scroll down and look at some of the titles of the books they are listing of a similar genre. Some of them sound good but a couple look like they might be hysterical. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. ahahahahaha. Zombie Pride and Prejudice. bwwaahahaha

I wish Bourne would hurry up with book 3 in his Armageddon series. I am really hooked on those books.
I've noticed that. I was doing a post apoc search and it was most interesting how it hit the vampire vein. had to hit back a few pages. I like the more er, realistic ones??? leave out the radiation caused vampires and zombies please

Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
As I have my wish list full on amazon, and check for when hardbacks at 50 cents in reasonable condition show up I have a stack. But two stand out and are calling to me.

One is Survival--Diary of an American POW in World War ll by Sam Higgins. This one is also supposed to be for "research" purposes for a story which justified the price. Hard to find and not cheap. But its the expanded diary of an american pow in Stalag IXb, otherwise known as "Bad Orb" which had the highest death rate of US pows of all the German regular pow camps. They were captured two months before the end and its utterly fascinating reading the real mental process of how they adjusted until it took on a kind of "normal". I'm reading it in little bits since I am trying to write a story which I'm using the psycholoy with.

But after a long while of looking offline I finally got a copy (hardback, library discard) of Steve Barnes Lion's Blood, a novel of Slavery and Freedon in an alternate America. I know the story as I've pretty much memorized Heather Alexanders songs written from it (and saw her in concert a few times performing them) but just pick it up and go to a page and read. I SO just want to sit and read it and forget everything else. Its the story of a young Irish boy captured by Viking slavers adn brought to the Old South and sold as a slave in the African ruled south. Its incredable and unsparing about the reality of slavery for both sides, but is also a can't put downer once you start. The hows of the alternate history start with Carthage defeating Rome and there never being a Roman empire and no western civilization. Thus, in the 1800's, Europe is still tribal and a source of human property. It's utterly enthralling to read as you get caught up in this incredable world.

I also absolutely reccomend Heather's CD of the same name.

It's most annoying the plot bunnies for the story I'd doing took off and I won't let me read them or anything else to the outline gets more solid lest I draw too much influence. Then, I'll be reading them eagerly.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have you read any of Bentley Little's books? For a while there his books and Strieber's were somewhat similar. However, Strieber never scared me the way Little does. I read a couple of duds by Little and rarely read his stuff these days. I have not read any of Strieber's in a long time but I used to like both of them very much.

The last Little book I read scared the daylights out of me.

As a result I am now afraid of stacks of rocks.

It's been a while for me too, but anyone that hates Walmart should read Little's The Store

Okay, now I'm curious, which of his books got you scared of rock stacks? I might have to add a few of these to my wish list I think.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,993 times
I picked up "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and....I'm not sure the other name of the other one. Anyway, the first two books of that series. Was not impressed, I didn't even finish the first one. Got about half way through it and thought, I'm sure I have something I could be doing instead of reading this. I don't do that often, but I REALLY did not like this book.

I also picked up "Poor Little ****** Girl" by Jackie Collins. I wasn't expecting a lot from this, but really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to check out some of her other books and see if I like them.

Another random grab at the library was In Desperation by Rick Mofina- really good! Plot centers around an eleven year old girl kidnapped by a Mexican drug cartel, her mother who cleaned her life up for her daughter, but thinks she may be being punished for something she did before her daughter was born, and the mother's brother who is an award winning journalist and hasn't seen his sister since he was twelve. It's not something I would normally read, but really enjoyed. I think I'll look for his other books too.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM

461 posts, read 796,693 times
Finished Freedom, I thought it was excellent. Now reading Bringing Adam (Walsh) Home.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I picked up "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and....I'm not sure the other name of the other one. Anyway, the first two books of that series. Was not impressed, I didn't even finish the first one. Got about half way through it and thought, I'm sure I have something I could be doing instead of reading this. I don't do that often, but I REALLY did not like this book.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the first book) was the best of the series. I know the author died before publication, but that doesn't excuse the piss-poor editing by the publishers.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It's been a while for me too, but anyone that hates Walmart should read Little's The Store

Okay, now I'm curious, which of his books got you scared of rock stacks? I might have to add a few of these to my wish list I think.
http://www.amazon.com/Return-Bentley-Little/dp/0451206878/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301070555&sr=1-17

This is the one: The Return. It was raked over the coals by the reviewers but I liked it.

The one I really want to read is The Mailman. I just ordered it. For a while there it was impossible to find it in stock anywhere.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 03-25-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post

I loved all three of those books but it took me a while to get into the first one. There were supposed to be 12 books in the series but he died before he could complete them.

It's actually pretty heavy reading because of his writing style and the interwoven plot(s) but, IMO, he won the cigar when it comes to character development.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the first book) was the best of the series. I know the author died before publication, but that doesn't excuse the piss-poor editing by the publishers.
I agree 100%! I enjoyed the first one despite the terrible editing (or maybe it was just a terrible translation?). At any rate, I gave up on the 2nd one about a third of the way in, and didn't even bother with picking up the 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books