Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,505 times

Advertisements

The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb. Good with quirky characters. It's filled with lots of humor. There are quite a few chapters which are devoted to how the main character sabotaged her boyfriends condoms which were crude, yet funny. Not a book I could pass on to mom.

The Silver Compass by Holly Kennedy. I absolutely loved this book written by the author of The Penny Tree. The characters are so real and well written. I was sorry it was over, wanted to keep reading...

Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs, author of The Friday Night Knitting Club. I very much enjoyed Comfort Food. I felt drawn and attached to all of the characters even if I didn't always like them.

Happy Reading!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,500 times
I'm in a rural western landscapes/people/horses craze right now. Just finished Mark Spragg's "An Unfinished Life". It blew me away! Takes place in north central Wyoming. Other authors of note along these lines are Kent Haruf, James Galvin, and Cormac McCarthy. I plan to start McCarthy's border trilogy series of books next, which starts with "All the Pretty Horses".

Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
I'm in a rural western landscapes/people/horses craze right now. Just finished Mark Spragg's "An Unfinished Life". It blew me away! Takes place in north central Wyoming. Other authors of note along these lines are Kent Haruf, James Galvin, and Cormac McCarthy. I plan to start McCarthy's border trilogy series of books next, which starts with "All the Pretty Horses".
Have you read McCarthy's "The Road" yet?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road last night. I need to re-read the ending as I'm not sure but what I missed something? This book will make a nice addition to our discussion of Marlen Hausofer's The Wall.

I also finished Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antoinette, and I have Margaret George's Helen of Troy that I plan to get started on today. I have read several of George's other works including her novel written as an autobiography, of Henry VIII, and the interesting book on Mary Magdalene.

Just lately, I seem to be on a women-in-history kick.
The Road just kinda....sat for a long time with me. Hard to explain it. I think it's an interesting exploration (and given these times...kinda scary) into an idea of times. I felt very...empty after reading it though. Sad. Deeply affected.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Have you read McCarthy's "The Road" yet?
Not yet, but that's on my list, too. That fellow can sure write. Haruf and Spragg are both geniuses of character development, I think.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,462 times
Coin Locker Babies -- Ryu Murakami (I'm reading the English translation). I need to hurry up because I hear they're already in the process of making the movie!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:54 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
just finished james patterson's new book "Sunday at Tiffany's". totally different than his typical murder mystery bestsellers. This was a very nice, touching story-type book. a nice summer read.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb. Good with quirky characters. It's filled with lots of humor. There are quite a few chapters which are devoted to how the main character sabotaged her boyfriends condoms which were crude, yet funny. Not a book I could pass on to mom.

The Silver Compass by Holly Kennedy. I absolutely loved this book written by the author of The Penny Tree. The characters are so real and well written. I was sorry it was over, wanted to keep reading...

Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs, author of The Friday Night Knitting Club. I very much enjoyed Comfort Food. I felt drawn and attached to all of the characters even if I didn't always like them.

Happy Reading!!
The Best A Man Can Get. About an English jingle musician leading a double life.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:39 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,571 times
Peter Benchley's Shark Trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books