Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM

264 posts, read 774,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
There aren't enough hours in the day to allow me to do all the things I would like to do. I don't have time to be bored.
I wish I could say the same about Melbourne, and that is great you enjoy your time there. I love where I am at now exponentially better than Melbourne. But when I visited recently it only reminded me why I was so eager to leave. Its just a shame. The area I live in now is highly affluent, I wine and dine at some of the most attractive places here in South Florida. I visited Continental Flambe in downtown Melbourne to return a gift card I had purchased earlier in the day, and was nearly herded out of the place. Not to mention the employee I purchased it from was extremely rude in the first place. It's pathetic and the only reason its like that is so they can uphold some superficial image of elegance and exclusivity and cater to a particular type of market i.e. "upper class" melbourne. I've never once felt excluded from the community since I moved to my current location, only until I visit back to Melbourne people are this way. According to constituency of Melbourne I'm not good enough, but my resume and profession say otherwise. And thats why I work for one of the largest firms in my industry that is based in a real city with normal people that have a drive and passion in life. Melbourne is just very superficial and outdated. Just to be clear I am not arguing here either, this is an opinion....it can either be scrutinized and disregarded, or it can be taken into consideration that its simply based on truth and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 33,092 times
Default Back on track

Does anybody have anything to add that is related to the OP's original intent?

I for one have no choice on whether I get to move here or not or how long I will be here(due to work), so it would be nice to get some unbiased info...

Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM

104 posts, read 240,469 times
I have an online friend that lives in the Cape Canaveral area. He and his wife love it there.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper1911 View Post
Does anybody have anything to add that is related to the OP's original intent?

I for one have no choice on whether I get to move here or not or how long I will be here(due to work), so it would be nice to get some unbiased info...
During the last 40 and a few years (since I was 18) I've lived in a number of places in a number of countries and visited - 3 months or less - a few more.

My move to Melbourne/Viera was my 38th house move. - And my last! (It does get old.)

There is one thing which appears to be common to every place I've been:

"Where you are is as good (or as bad) as you want it to be (or are prepared to make it.)"

I'm retired and I have 2 homes. I live in Melbourne during the winter and in Upper Bavaria during the summer. If you have to go to work every day, then (unless you change jobs) you are stuck. Even so, there are good aspects and bad aspects to every location.

I don't ski any more (irreparable tendon damage) and I hate shovelling snow, so as far as I'm concerned, you can keep the Alps in Winter. - Yet for many people, a skiing holiday in the Alps is something they look forward to each year.

I do like hiking in the mountains, I enjoy riding a motorcycle and - although I like to be warm - 90 degrees with 80% humidity makes wearing leathers a tad uncomfortable. You can keep Florida in summer ... But at this time of year I can sail, swim or go fishing nearly every day.

I don't 'go out' (clubbing) much and the US doesn't have any real pubs, so my social life here is different to that which I'm accustomed to in Europe.

Different - but not less enjoyable.

If you're moving here (and 'here' could be anywhere in the world) then expect to have to make changes.

How much you enjoy life here (and again 'here' could be any place in the world) is up to you.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

142 posts, read 315,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowpow View Post
I've lived in this area my entire life, born and raised in Brevard County so any visitors needing help or wanting advice on a location feel free to private message me and I'll give you a full review of the street your moving to and the surrounding areas , I know this area like the back of my hand due to me spending all nineteen years of my life here. Don't listen to any senior citizen posters that just moved here three years ago for retirement, listen to me! I'm here to help you.

First let me give you some information on myself:
I've lived in both Palm Bay and West Melbourne in about six different locations total, I'm a white male, community college student, handsome individual now currently living in an upper middle class community in West Melbourne.

Now let me give you some basic information on each city:

Viera
I'll start with Viera because it's probably the easiest to review. If you want an upper middle to upper class town, with good schools, squeaky clean crime rate and probably the best area to raise a family this is the town for you. I would almost go to the lengths of saying that the majority of the people living here are a bit conceited. A very nice new outdoor mall just recently opened it's doors about a year ago. Anywhere West and North (in the picture provided) from Wickham Rd is Viera and the description above.

Rockledge
I'll admit I don't know much about this part of town and have never lived here but have driven though almost all of it. People say Rockledge is more of a higher crime part of town but from what I've noticed is it's just more rundown. Sorry for the short review but that's really all I have to say about "The Rock".

West Melbourne
It's Viera but not as wealthy or conceited. It's very low in crime and has some nice schools. See map below for more details on this area - http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3078/westmelbourne.jpg (broken link)
Anywhere from Eber Blvd north to Fell Road is upper middle class neighborhoods with zero crime, elementary schools and middle schools along Wingate Blvd and nothing really to do otherwise, this is mainly residential housing. The only place that's not upper middle class is a lower class trailer park that's located on the south west part of this map just off of Eber Blvd on the streets Buddy Drive and American Drive. Carriage Gate is a community that's cut off on the map, if you look just south of I-95 you'll see "Carri" and then the rest cut off, it continues to run along I-95, all I will say is you better have stacks of money piled up if you want to live in there. This map is outdated because Florida Ave continues to Hollywood Blvd and a new intersection is there, just a note.

Melbourne
Overall for a young adult the stories you will hear about this town are true and that is this place is not called "Melboring" for no reason.

Anywhere from Sarno Rd North (Until you run into Viera) is all used car dealerships and older homes that I would label as lower middle class, just north of Lake Washington Rd along Harbor City Blvd is a part of town I wouldn't necessarily recommend along with the south east part of this map around S Harbor City Blvd, the reason for that is there is a good amount of prostitution that goes on and that leads to other types of crimes.

Just about five streets south of the area that is labeled as Melbourne in bold lettering is downtown Melbourne, here you will find the one strip of Sports Bars, Coffee Shops and live music this town has to offer, it's my favorite part of town mainly because of Meg O Malley's Melbourne Square Mall and Andretti Thrill Park are the only real attractions this town has to offer.

Ellis Rd located on the far West part of this map (above) is all Industrial Businesses same with W Nasa Blvd which has many military related Industrial Businesses.

Anywhere East of 192 and Eau Gallie Blvd is Beach Side which is all very relaxed and nice.

Palm Bay
Anyone who says that Palm Bay is "hood" or "high in crime" could not be further from the truth. While there are some spots that are slightly questionable compared to other cities this place is very soft and very cuddly.

It's probably the most diverse part of town even though people with a Caucasian background probably still make up a good 75% of the town.

The map is 90% residential housing. Palm Bay rd and Malabar Rd NE are the only exceptions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said if you have anymore question about these areas I am here to help. I can promise you I will give you the most accurate description of this area that you will find on these boards. There really is not much to say about Brevard County because it is a boring place but still like I said I'll tell you about the street/area you are moving to and could even give you a picture or video if you like. Pleas ignore any grammar or spelling mistakes made in this post
Bowpow,

As a New Yorker interested in moving to the Melbourne area, let me just ask you to verify or clarify a few areas/descriptions:
Melbourne: How would you define or describe the area north of Lake Washington Road, but south of Post Road? Are you recommending that "west of Wickham" is a better option than east of Wickham for this area?
West Melbourne: If we stay north of Eber, south of Fell Road, and east of Hollywood Blvd., we're good? All the way east to Babcock? or stop at Dairy Road?

Thanks for whatever information you can provide.....

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
Bowpow,

As a New Yorker interested in moving to the Melbourne area, let me just ask you to verify or clarify a few areas/descriptions:
Melbourne: How would you define or describe the area north of Lake Washington Road, but south of Post Road? Are you recommending that "west of Wickham" is a better option than east of Wickham for this area?
West Melbourne: If we stay north of Eber, south of Fell Road, and east of Hollywood Blvd., we're good? All the way east to Babcock? or stop at Dairy Road?

Thanks for whatever information you can provide.....
The area north of Lake Washington is really nice IMO. As for West Melbourne and Palm Bay, the really only bad area is east of Babcock, south of Crane Creek, north of Pirate Lane. Anything on either side of Eber west of Babcock is fine.

Just drive around when you're here. You can tell bad areas pretty easily. But keep in mind also that we're not a big city; even in the bad areas, you won't get carjacked or robbed or anything driving through, even at night. This isn't Miami! And the crime is mostly drug related so it typically doesn't spill out into surrounding areas.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
The area north of Lake Washington is really nice IMO. As for West Melbourne and Palm Bay, the really only bad area is east of Babcock, south of Crane Creek, north of Pirate Lane. Anything on either side of Eber west of Babcock is fine.

Just drive around when you're here. You can tell bad areas pretty easily. But keep in mind also that we're not a big city; even in the bad areas, you won't get carjacked or robbed or anything driving through, even at night. This isn't Miami! And the crime is mostly drug related so it typically doesn't spill out into surrounding areas.
Thanks, jdoty.....
We spent 2 weeks at a hotel along 192 when we last visited in August. My wife loved the shopping along 192, so that's when West Melbourne became a possibility.
That said, our friends all reside north of Post Road in Melbourne, and their own parochial bias led them to tell us to avoid West Melbourne.
From our own observation, there was nothing wrong with it. My only skepticism was that the homes in West Melbourne were less expensive than the properties north of Post Road, so my perverse logic (using the "location, location, location" theory) told me that there must be something wrong with the neighborhood or the properties wouldn't be that much less expensive.
I'm glad you were able to clear everything up. Now we can look at the area you defined as a suitable alternative to the pricier homes further north.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks, jdoty.....
We spent 2 weeks at a hotel along 192 when we last visited in August. My wife loved the shopping along 192, so that's when West Melbourne became a possibility.
That said, our friends all reside north of Post Road in Melbourne, and their own parochial bias led them to tell us to avoid West Melbourne.
From our own observation, there was nothing wrong with it. My only skepticism was that the homes in West Melbourne were less expensive than the properties north of Post Road, so my perverse logic (using the "location, location, location" theory) told me that there must be something wrong with the neighborhood or the properties wouldn't be that much less expensive.
I'm glad you were able to clear everything up. Now we can look at the area you defined as a suitable alternative to the pricier homes further north.
I know what you mean. Ask your friends about Palm Bay just for kicks. That's where I live and I'm usually amused by the reputation. West Melbourne was historically pretty redneck/poor, and there are still some neighborhoods like that (you won't be looking at homes in those places, trust me), but most of it is nice, new deed-restricted neighborhoods.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
I know what you mean. Ask your friends about Palm Bay just for kicks. That's where I live and I'm usually amused by the reputation. West Melbourne was historically pretty redneck/poor, and there are still some neighborhoods like that (you won't be looking at homes in those places, trust me), but most of it is nice, new deed-restricted neighborhoods.
As a matter of fact, one of my friends started his home search in Palm Bay. Then, "the locals" told him about gangs and drugs which Palm Bay 'is known for', so quickly shifted gears in the direction of Suntree/Viera.
Now, he's joined the locals in dissuading potential buyers from ever setting foot anywhere near Palm Bay.
One other ironic note. Not long after we returned from our 2 week visit to Melbourne, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law went down there to look at a 55+ community called The Lakes of Melbourne.
They loved it, and as far as I can see, the Lakes of Melbourne isn't too far from Palm Bay.

Started looking for properties within the boundaries of Eber to the south, Fell to the north, between Minton and Dairy.
Not much on the market east of Hollywood, but quite a few available between Minton and Hollywood.

My search parameters have broadened, thanks to your much appreciated advice.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact, one of my friends started his home search in Palm Bay. Then, "the locals" told him about gangs and drugs which Palm Bay 'is known for', so quickly shifted gears in the direction of Suntree/Viera.
Now, he's joined the locals in dissuading potential buyers from ever setting foot anywhere near Palm Bay.
One other ironic note. Not long after we returned from our 2 week visit to Melbourne, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law went down there to look at a 55+ community called The Lakes of Melbourne.
They loved it, and as far as I can see, the Lakes of Melbourne isn't too far from Palm Bay.

Started looking for properties within the boundaries of Eber to the south, Fell to the north, between Minton and Dairy.
Not much on the market east of Hollywood, but quite a few available between Minton and Hollywood.

My search parameters have broadened, thanks to your much appreciated advice.
Most of Palm Bay doesn't have deed restrictions or HOAs so it's not as manicured looking as other areas. I like that, other people don't. That's most likely the source of the bad reputation.

I don't know how I've managed to avoid the drugs and gangs while walking around my neighborhood at night, sleeping with a window open, or going to the grocery store after dark!

Glad I could help. Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County