Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,110 times

Advertisements

If you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ with all of your heart, and you find total peace in Him, OR are seeking Him, then why dabble in these other religious icons, statues or unbiblical quotes? He either IS or IS NOT the way, truth and the light. You either believe in Him in all things, from the beginning to the end of the Bible or not. Why try to add to the truth, parables, quotes of our very own creator? THE God and creator of the universe did it all, sacrificed it all,(His life) said it all, had it all written as a map for us to follow (The Bible) so why should we continue seeking?

If you question the above, just give it a try. Seek Him. You will be quite amazed in the true peace that you find when you seek the only, original creator who loves you so immeasurably much. He doesn't take coffee breaks.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
It shouldn't be a problem. You're not putting any sacred significance on it so it shouldn't be going against your belief system if you have one.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden?
No but it is offensive to Zeus, Anubis, and Thor

Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been wondering who to ask about this. As a christian, is it offensive to God to have a buddha statue out in my garden? Is it offensive to buddhists?
I'm asking because I saw a big happy buddha statue which looks very joyful, and I'd buy it except for my questions about it being appropriate.
Yes it is. As a Christian you are to avoid idols. Idolatry is against the Truth of Jesus Christ. If you love Jesus, you will not want to offend Him. He does not share space with idols. There is no mixing of His doctrine with the doctrines of idols.

Hsa 14:8 Ephraim [shall say], What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard [him], and observed him: I [am] like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.
2Cr 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Cr 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Cr 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Cr 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
2Cr 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty

Having idols is being in fellowship with demons, for having them invites demons into your presence, and the Holy Spirit will not dwell with idols. They are an abomination to Him.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Yes it is. As a Christian you are to avoid idols. Idolatry is against the Truth of Jesus Christ. If you love Jesus, you will not want to offend Him. He does not share space with idols. There is no mixing of His doctrine with the doctrines of idols.

Hsa 14:8 Ephraim [shall say], What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard [him], and observed him: I [am] like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.
2Cr 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Cr 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Cr 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Cr 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
2Cr 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty

Having idols is being in fellowship with demons, for having them invites demons into your presence, and the Holy Spirit will not dwell with idols. They are an abomination to Him.
How do you know that a cross isn't an idol? Why is having a Buddha statue considered to be idol worship, but having a cross or picture of Jesus is something good and praise worthy?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
It is written that way in Judaism due to the third commandment.(take g-ds name in vain).

It depends on the person how they want to write it. Making imagines in the bible is forbidden it is not respect. It may look like favor to some people but it was command by g-d not to make images.
- not to make them to bow down to or worship, says the Word.
There are images of cherubim, palm trees, pomegranates, bulls and olive trees and grape vines associated with the temple and its furnishings.
But a buddha is made for worship, in false worship of false 'gods'.
Everything connected to a buddha is offesnive to the Holy Spirit of the One True God, who does not share His Glory with any other in heaven or in earth, whether real or imagined.
Though a buddha image is of itself nothing, it is made and set up by the doctrines of demons; and is an abomination to God and to those who love Him with all their hearts.
Anyone is free to worship whatever they wish -in this age, while we make our eternal choice for or against the One True God while we have our being intact; but to say we are Christian means we have made a covenant with the One True God and that oath of our covenant makes Him our LORD, exclusively. To give our allegiance to Him in a half hearted way is treason.

We have choice. He has the power to reject [and will] us if we reject Him.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
How do you know that a cross isn't an idol? Why is having a Buddha statue considered to be idol worship, but having a cross or picture of Jesus is something good and praise worthy?
Who worships a cross? the cross is the altar of sacrifice where Christ was bound once, for all [Psalm 118]. The power of the cross is the power of God in the Atonement offered by Christ on that cross; which is the Accepted once for all Atonement by which we can be made clean; so as to be adopted sons of God in the name of the New Man,; which New Man is Christ come in flesh of second Man creation, to be our Kinsman/Redeemer, and bring us back to and for Himself; for the Glory to dwell in us in the regeneration of our body; which Glory Adam lost at the fall.

We preach Christ crucified.
For the rest, see my last post.
And I know no one who worships a picture. I have a copy of the last supper in my house, and nothing about it is worshiped, nor is it an abomination.
And personally, I believe we have a negative of a "picture" of Christ crucified, in the Shroud of Turin. I am not RC, but they posses the shroud, and it is authentic, in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Do you consider Michaelangelo's David to be idolatrous?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I'd bet Jesus and Buddha would have got along with each other just fine. They would probably have a beer together and tell funny jokes.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Sheeplevision = ONE WAY ! OUR WAY ! For everyone, or else...the fires of helllllll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.