Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO that absolutely beautiful piece was from Buddism..June?? Wherever it came from , I love it..I do believe that on that day we will all find out that we are all directed to the one God no matter which path we traveled to reach him...In the end He will mend all our ways and we will all be of the same spirit...
I think you have hit the nail on the head blue, either one God or no God.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
the buddha statue is ok as long as you realize that it is a image of a god that dont exist and you worship the god of the bible and not the statue.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:48 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,025 times
Seeing shibainu's post begs the question (I famenity do not believe in God) why write God so "G-d".

Are you as the Muslims are ( not allowed an image of Allah) in some way thinking this is a respect issue?

If so and your God is all intelligent and knowing why would he/she not realise,
you are trying to curry favour with him.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO that absolutely beautiful piece was from Buddism..June?? Wherever it came from , I love it....
June was going to elect to post a quote from the bible regarding "tending one's own garden," however, she decided to post that lenghty quote instead. (Hey, I didn't want to blow people's minds by having little old JUNE posting bible passages!) My point, however, was that it is what we bring TO our (metaphorical) gardens that is important...

I was being intentionally "subtle" in what I posted; sort of like "subliminal messages." (I do that alot, actually...) I figured unless people read it really closely, it would go unnoticed. For what it's worth, the quote came from the following. (If anyone wishes to read it in it's entirety.) I loved the fact that it is NOT Buddhist, or written by one:

On That Day...

Take gentle care

Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Seeing shibainu's post begs the question (I famenity do not believe in God) why write God so "G-d".

Are you as the Muslims are ( not allowed an image of Allah) in some way thinking this is a respect issue?

If so and your God is all intelligent and knowing why would he/she not realise,
you are trying to curry favour with him.
It is written that way in Judaism due to the third commandment.(take g-ds name in vain).

It depends on the person how they want to write it. Making imagines in the bible is forbidden it is not respect. It may look like favor to some people but it was command by g-d not to make images.

Last edited by shibainu; 09-02-2007 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
It causes no more harm than having a statue of Plato, Sartre, or any other philosopher out there. Buddha never claimed to be a God nor the son of a God. He actually reminded his followers that they shouldn't worship him. Buddha was an advocate for peace, desire control, losing one's ego, and many other things that Christ preached.

A meditating Buddha statue will improve the vibe of your garden. I say go for it, You'll be glad you did!
In Buddhism, there is no Supreme Being that is the creator of all. However Gautama Buddha does state that our thoughts make the world. The Buddha considers thought as the creator of the world.

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world. (Dhammapada, 1.1-3)

"All such notions as causation, succession, atoms, primary elements, that make up personality, personal soul, Supreme Spirit, Sovereign God, Creator, are all figments of the imagination and manifestations of mind. "
What is deemed as 'the creation of the universe by an all-powerful creator deity' in many other religions is not accepted by any school of Buddhism.
Buddhism is usually regarded as a religion without an absolute God who created the universe ex nihilo (from nothing) and to whom devotion and worship are due (although veneration and worship of the Buddhas do play a major role in both Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism).

Buddhism is a way of life which does not hinge upon the concept of a Creator God but depends upon the practice of the Eightfold Path which includes contemplation. In Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism, however, veneration and worship of all Buddhas, as the transmitters and embodiments of Dharma and its blessings, is highly significant and is seen as extremely important for spiritual development. While Buddhism does not deny the existence of supernatural beings (e.g., the devas, of which many are discussed in Buddhist scripture, and indeed the Buddhas themselves, whose powers are of a supernatural calibre), it does not ascribe power, in the typical Western sense, for creation, salvation or judgment to the "gods". They are regarded as having the power to affect worldly events and so some Buddhist schools associate with them via ritual. All unenlightened supernatural beings are caught in samsara, the ongoing cycle of death and subsequent rebirth."

God in Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So is Buddha probably closer to an Atheist in believing that there is no absolute god?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:23 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
How strange that we cannot tolerate a statue unless it carries the sanction and blessing of our particular belief.

How would you reassure a Buddist who asked similar questions about a statue of Christ in their garden?
I guess my concern was regarding the whole "graven image" thing. If this is not a part of Buddhism, then a Buddhist displaying a christian statue wouldn't be the same thing.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
It causes no more harm than having a statue of Plato, Sartre, or any other philosopher out there. Buddha never claimed to be a God nor the son of a God. He actually reminded his followers that they shouldn't worship him. Buddha was an advocate for peace, desire control, losing one's ego, and many other things that Christ preached.

A meditating Buddha statue will improve the vibe of your garden. I say go for it, You'll be glad you did!
Throx, that is a helpful point.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
Quote:
Envision Jesus standing at your side, as the two of you look at your garden. Then ask yourself that question...
Very good point Budinak.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,276 times
Quote:
Earniefan, Well Buddha is not a symbol of worship, nor did Buddha claim to be a god and those who follow Buddhism do not see him in such a manner. Buddha was a teacher, thats all, just a wise man, nothing more. The main premise of Buddhism is to seek self spiritual enlightenment, not to worship Buddha.
He is an idol, as said in a post on page 3 people bow to him to thank him for his teachings. We are not to have any false idols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism