Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 10:56 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

NHSA has been looking at requiring bethalyzers in all cars:

https://www.dadss.org/

A company called Sober Steering makes a steering wheel that detects your BAC by analyzing your sweat. You just touch the wheel for three seconds, and if you're not drunk you can start the car.

Sober Steering: Technology To Prevent Drunk Driving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Sometimes they do. They can make it difficult for you to commit the crime you want to commit. For example, it would be very difficult for a civilian (terrorist) to use a nuclear weapon to destroy a city. It would be a lot harder to do a 9/11 type attack again, because of the laws passed since then, regarding fortification of the cockpit door, better security procedures, tighter requirements for IDs, etc.

Anyway, the vast majority of gun owners support background checks....you don't? You think a convicted felon should be allowed to own a firearm? If so then you have no credibility on the subject.

Navy boot camp is in Great Lakes. But I haven't been to Chicago, per se, since I was sent to Groton for submarine school and sonar A school the next day.

I have, however, been through south central LA and bad parts of Oakland, etc. Didn't feel any need for a firearm since i know martial arts and am not defenseless without a firearm.

The gun violence in such places is mainly between gangs...but it speaks more to my point than yours. We clearly have an issue with gun violence in places with a population higher than 20, so the government has a compelling interest in regulating firearms, within reason.
80,000 prohibited persons attempt to purchase a firearm (felony) each year and we prosecute an average of 4. But, we need yet more stupid laws. Ok. There's a fine string of logic right there.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:26 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree that firearms should be more tightly regulated at the federal level.

Of course, anywhere in the USA, it is illegal to buy ammunition if you are a convicted felon, so they SHOULD be doing a background check if you buy ammunition in Arizona and Nevada, also.
Many States have laws against such things as a gun registry. Law abiding shouldn't be shackled with the make believe stuff of maybe, might, could crap called the leftists wet dreams.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:45 PM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree that firearms should be more tightly regulated at the federal level.

Of course, anywhere in the USA, it is illegal to buy ammunition if you are a convicted felon, so they SHOULD be doing a background check if you buy ammunition in Arizona and Nevada, also.
It's also illegal to vote if a convicted felon. So California needs to do an FBI background check on every person before they vote.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
It's also illegal to vote if a convicted felon. So California needs to do an FBI background check on every person before they vote.

Indeed, I agree with requiring some kind of photo ID for voting. Of course, it should be free. Voting is not a weapon, so the government has no compelling interest in discouraging it, therefore a photo ID for voting should be free, whereas firearms licenses should be expensive. It should also be illegal for civilians to buy large amounts of gunpowder. I would ban buying more than 1 g per year unless you're a licensed firearms manufacturer (and I would require you to show evidence that you have bought a large building and the equipment necessary to manufacture bullets on a large scale, otherwise no gunpowder for you).

We already have this rule,

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/bl...xplosives-laws

But 50 pounds is way too much. It should be more like 1 g. I can see allowing you to buy more if you can prove you only own antique firearms, and you are not "reloading".

In Switzerland, most people have firearms, in connection with membership in the unorganized militia (which was the actual intent of the 2nd amendment, as stated in The Federalist Papers...to PROTECT the government from foreign attack, acting as a replacement for a standing army, not to attack the government). But they don't have ammunition at home. In time of war, the government would supply it.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many States have laws against such things as a gun registry. Law abiding shouldn't be shackled with the make believe stuff of maybe, might, could crap called the leftists wet dreams.

ok, we shouldn't have driver licenses then. You should have to deal with people on the road who literally don't know how to drive.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
ok, we shouldn't have driver licenses then. You should have to deal with people on the road who literally don't know how to drive.
You've raised a good point. Car is a weapon, a dangerous one at that.

We should not allow stupid people to drive. So we should institute IQ test at the DMV when it's time to renew your DL. Morons and air heads get automatically denied.

We also know driving while texting cause a high rate of accidents. We should demand automakers incorporate EMI devices that renders cell phone non-operable.

How about speed sensors that kills the engine every time you exceed the speed limit?

This way we can "protect citizens from harm".

Old 07-28-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You've raised a good point. Car is a weapon,
Nope, a car is a vehicle, intended to transport you from one point to another.

A firearm is a weapon, intended to employ deadly force. Show me a military manual or procedure in which a firearm is referred to as a "tool". There isn't one. We call them "weapons" because that is what they are. When you relieve the watch, you don't say "I have positive control of the harmless tool akin to a tape measure". Rather, you say, "I have positive control of THE WEAPON." Unlike you civilian firearm owners, in the military a firearm isn't regarded as a toy or a tool. It's a serious weapon, intended to kill people. We take it seriously. You should, too.

Quote:
We should not allow stupid people to drive. So we should institute IQ test at the DMV when it's time to renew your DL. Morons and air heads get automatically denied.
We already have a written test and a practical driving test.

Quote:
We also know driving while texting cause a high rate of accidents. We should demand automakers incorporate EMI devices that renders cell phone non-operable.
I agree. https://www.insuramatch.com/blog/201...-while-driving

https://newatlas.com/scosche-cellcon...-phones/21192/

Quote:
How about speed sensors that kills the engine every time you exceed the speed limit?
I don't have an issue with this either. Many cars already have this in a teenager mode or something like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a tesla driver
This feature is in Teslas, just not accessible by the average user. Test drives at the Tesla stores have cars with speed limits set at 80MPH so that test drives don't get out of control. Found this out from the Tesla representative I was driving with.

https://teslatap.com/questions/road-...r-and-warning/

Last edited by neutrino78x; 07-28-2019 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Nope, a car is a vehicle, intended to transport you from one point to another.

A firearm is a weapon, intended to employ deadly force. Show me a military manual or procedure in which a firearm is referred to as a "tool". There isn't one. We call them "weapons" because that is what they are.
You're wrong. A gun is a projectile expelling device. It is designed to penetrate soda cans, milk jugs, and water melons. It doesn't matter what the military calls them. It's what the law-abiding civilians call them what counts.

It is a tool. No different than a bow & arrow that can deploy a deadly force (but not regulated), just as a pneumatic nail gun, or a high pressure K bottle. The difference between that and a weapon is if the operator chooses to use it as a weapon.

A tool that when used correctly can save lives. It can stop bad guys from doing harm to your loved ones, or an innocent victim. Stop treating guns and their owners as evil and potential criminals.

Quote:
We already have a written test.
I see you will fail the IQ test as well.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 07-28-2019 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You're wrong. A gun is a projectile expelling device.
It's a weapon. Call it a weapon because that is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
the Colt Microtac Predator PGS100AAA light is one of the most powerful, and durable, slim-line single-AAA integral mount weapon systems in the World.
Why is it that Colt refers to its products as weapons (the light is not a weapon, but they're saying that this light mounts on their weapons), but you don't?

They are weapons.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the military calls them.
We're the professionals. Look, I agree that we have an individual right to own a weapon. But that doesn't mean it is a "tool" and not a "weapon". The founding fathers did not intend to protect our rights to own "tools". They were protecting our rights to own WEAPONS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California