Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
So it sounds like a lot of citizens will be driving over to AZ and NV to buy their ammo. I bet the businesses and taxpayers there love it.

Yes, I agree that firearms should be more tightly regulated at the federal level.

Of course, anywhere in the USA, it is illegal to buy ammunition if you are a convicted felon, so they SHOULD be doing a background check if you buy ammunition in Arizona and Nevada, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The last two are poor replies in my opinion. Forcing everyone to spend more money to buy ammo.

Yes, firearms and ammunition should be cheap, and convicted violent felons and those with mental issues should be able to purchase them cheaply and easily.

After all, firearms are not weapons. Firearms are harmless tools, just like a screwdriver or a tape measure is a harmless tool. Like screwdrivers and tape measures, firearms are not intended for the use of deadly force, and we don't have any issues with gun violence in our country.

Since firearms are harmless tools, not intended for the use of deadly force, we don't have any issues with gun violence, no child has died as a result of gunfire between gangs, and we never have mass shootings, the government has no compelling interest to regulate firearms.

In other news, Somalia is a paradise, since there is no government to speak of there, outside of Mogadishu, and everyone has a firearm. This leads to great peace and stability, and everyone should want to go purchase a home in Somalia, where they are safe and comfortable. V8 Vega will soon move there, because s/he will be able to legally buy as many fully automatic rifles as s/he wants...(never mind the fact that neutrino78x is qualified in the use of a fully automatic rifle, having been trained in its use by the US Navy, and is not sure if V8 Vega has ever fired one, but according to the NRA, it is desirable for such a person to be able to legally acquire such a weapon without training or any kind of licensing or background check)...of course, so will everyone else, including those with criminal intent.

But that makes things safer, according to the NRA.

Just remember, my friends, there is no such thing as reasonable regulation of firearms. You can't regulate minimum age of user, purpose of carrying, place where carried, type of weapon owned, or anything else. Unlike every other individual right recognized under the Constitution, the 2nd amendment is uniquely not able to be legally regulated. Yes, I know the US Supreme Court stated in DC vs Heller -- the same decision in which they recognized the 2nd Amendment as an individual right to bear arms -- that the 2nd Amendment IS NOT UNLIMITED, but the NRA said that it IS unlimited, and their knowledge of the law and the US Constitution is superior to that of the US Supreme Court.

Just remember that the NRA never makes any mistakes. Anything they say is Gospel, and we should never question it. All their ideas come from God and are infallible.

The government can't have any compelling interest to regulate anything regarding firearms. Because they are harmless tools. Harmless tools in the same sense that a tape measure is a harmless tool.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 07-27-2019 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-27-2019, 09:24 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
there is 2,500 or more gun laws now, a couple more ought to do the trick.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
there is 2,500 or more gun laws now, a couple more ought to do the trick.

Yeah, we don't need to enforce the existing federal law that makes it illegal for a convicted felon to purchase ammunition. It's ok to just have a federal law against convicted felons owning firearms...and not have a law requiring FFLs to do a background check on ammunition. That makes prefect sense, I agree.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:01 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yes, firearms and ammunition should be cheap, and convicted violent felons and those with mental issues should be able to purchase them cheaply and easily.

After all, firearms are not weapons. Firearms are harmless tools, just like a screwdriver or a tape measure is a harmless tool. Like screwdrivers and tape measures, firearms are not intended for the use of deadly force, and we don't have any issues with gun violence in our country.

Since firearms are harmless tools, not intended for the use of deadly force, we don't have any issues with gun violence, no child has died as a result of gunfire between gangs, and we never have mass shootings, the government has no compelling interest to regulate firearms.

In other news, Somalia is a paradise, since there is no government to speak of there, outside of Mogadishu, and everyone has a firearm. This leads to great peace and stability, and everyone should want to go purchase a home in Somalia, where they are safe and comfortable. V8 Vega will soon move there, because s/he will be able to legally buy as many fully automatic rifles as s/he wants...(never mind the fact that neutrino78x is qualified in the use of a fully automatic rifle, having been trained in its use by the US Navy, and is not sure if V8 Vega has ever fired one, but according to the NRA, it is desirable for such a person to be able to legally acquire such a weapon without training or any kind of licensing or background check)...of course, so will everyone else, including those with criminal intent.

But that makes things safer, according to the NRA.

Just remember, my friends, there is no such thing as reasonable regulation of firearms. You can't regulate minimum age of user, purpose of carrying, place where carried, type of weapon owned, or anything else. Unlike every other individual right recognized under the Constitution, the 2nd amendment is uniquely not able to be legally regulated. Yes, I know the US Supreme Court stated in DC vs Heller -- the same decision in which they recognized the 2nd Amendment as an individual right to bear arms -- that the 2nd Amendment IS NOT UNLIMITED, but the NRA said that it IS unlimited, and their knowledge of the law and the US Constitution is superior to that of the US Supreme Court.

Just remember that the NRA never makes any mistakes. Anything they say is Gospel, and we should never question it. All their ideas come from God and are infallible.

The government can't have any compelling interest to regulate anything regarding firearms. Because they are harmless tools. Harmless tools in the same sense that a tape measure is a harmless tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yeah, we don't need to enforce the existing federal law that makes it illegal for a convicted felon to purchase ammunition. It's ok to just have a federal law against convicted felons owning firearms...and not have a law requiring FFLs to do a background check on ammunition. That makes prefect sense, I agree.
Do you have some sort of sarcasm addiction?

Old 07-27-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Do you have some sort of sarcasm addiction?

lol I'm just allergic to the high level of nonsense in this thread. Clearly, it is NOT illegal to have some regulation of firearms, including making it illegal for felons to buy firearms AND ammunition.

I do think we have an individual right to own firearms for self-defense...but on the other hand, I think there should probably be a maximum number of firearms you buy in a given amount of time, training in use and ethics, background check TO INCLUDE MENTAL ISSUES (that is to say, if you have PTSD or you're seeing a shrink, that should flag you in the background check), the ability to go before a judge and take your firearms away if people suspect you're a psycho, background checks on ammo and gunpowder/cordite etc., full automatic rifles should be banned from civilian use (1987 firearm owners protection act is reasonable, I would ideally go a little farther and say you can't buy one even if it was made before 1986...if you already own one you can pass it on to next of kin, provided they pass a background check, otherwise, destroy it)...not sure how I feel about semiautomatic rifles.

Counties and cities should be able to decide if they want people carrying openly or if they're going to ban open carry and/or require concealed weapons permits. People in denser regions are going to feel differently about that issue than people in more rural places.

I used to be afraid of guns to some extent, before I joined the Navy. I'm not afraid of guns at all anymore, but I'm still in favor of reasonable gun control, without wanting to ban them entirely.

I don't see any problem with requiring a background check for ammunition, considering the fact that it is ALREADY ILLEGAL to own ammunition if you're a convicted felon. If you can't own it, then, logically, there should be a check to make sure you're not a felon before you're allowed to legally purchase it, right?

Old 07-27-2019, 10:37 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Laws don't stop anybody from doing anything. We have laws against murder. Ever been to Chicago?

Laws punish you after you break them.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:38 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Maybe every person should take a breathalyzer test before they drive, just to make sure they haven't been drinking?

Old 07-27-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Maybe every person should take a breathalyzer test before they drive, just to make sure they haven't been drinking?

They probably should, actually. I'm surprised it's not already required. I can understand it in the 60s before you had microprocessors, but now that it would add less than $5 to the price of a car...

Old 07-27-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Laws don't stop anybody from doing anything.
Sometimes they do. They can make it difficult for you to commit the crime you want to commit. For example, it would be very difficult for a civilian (terrorist) to use a nuclear weapon to destroy a city. It would be a lot harder to do a 9/11 type attack again, because of the laws passed since then, regarding fortification of the cockpit door, better security procedures, tighter requirements for IDs, etc.

Anyway, the vast majority of gun owners support background checks....you don't? You think a convicted felon should be allowed to own a firearm? If so then you have no credibility on the subject.

Quote:
Ever been to Chicago?
Navy boot camp is in Great Lakes. But I haven't been to Chicago, per se, since I was sent to Groton for submarine school and sonar A school the next day.

I have, however, been through south central LA and bad parts of Oakland, etc. Didn't feel any need for a firearm since i know martial arts and am not defenseless without a firearm.

The gun violence in such places is mainly between gangs...but it speaks more to my point than yours. We clearly have an issue with gun violence in places with a population higher than 20, so the government has a compelling interest in regulating firearms, within reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California