Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 02:14 PM

7,064 posts, read 6,330,799 times

Advertisements

I'm currently by Othello WA. Drove from 6:30 to 12 something. Long day already.

Last night I slept in the parking lot of a park. Didn't sleep well and was up early. It turned out there were a few others that did the same thing. The park was closed and I'm assuming it was because of the fires as it was connected to the National forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 02:20 PM

Driving today was a real trip. I'm pretty sure it was Mt Rainier and it was beautiful scenery but treacherous driving. I think I may have to get a brake job by the time I get home. They're behaving and not making noise or anything but I don't think they were old when I bought the car in 2015.
This trip has tested their capabilities to the max with all the curvey mountain roads I've been on.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:17 PM

Something to think about; Bob Wells recently uploaded a video about purchasing land in Arizona. He made some pretty good points. As we age, consideration should be given to what to do when we are able to travel widely.

He paid $2000 for an acre of land in Arizona and will slowly build it up so he can either live in his ambulance on it or buy some sort of structure for to use as a tiny home.

I'm not ready to tie myself totally to Arizona but it did get me thinking. At some point I will have to make some decisions and I know staying in Minnesota during the winter will not be one of them.

It was hard on my family when I moved to Sierra Vista for the 2+ years I was gone. They're slowly getting used to my traveling but do like it when I come back. But at least my sister is now saying that if I ever stay away they will turn the travel trailer into a hunting shack. Progress has been made.

I probably shouldn't let them have a say in my life but the car accident and the years it took me to heal scared them.
I understand that.

Just thinking out loud today.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:17 PM

I'm debating the best way to go across Montana while avoiding the mountains as best I can.

Do I go up and around or through Glacier National Park or down through Butte and then up to Helena and Great Falls.

I've never been to Montana, just as I'd never been to Oregon and Washington so I'm unfamiliar with the best routes.

I'm a too-cautious driver and today I pulled over to the turn outs rather than make people go slow. Mountain driving is white knuckling for me.

I'm glad I experienced them, but enough is enough if I can avoid them as much as possible.

Suggestions anyone?

Old 05-06-2022, 06:12 PM

Just watched another video Bob Wells did on how to save money on gas. He recommended freeway driving and he sets the cruise control at 65. He pointed out that the constant changes going through small towns and going the scenic route is actually using a lot more gas, which makes sense. So tomorrow I am going to get on 90, since I'm already past Seattle and go that way.

I'm glad I took 101 up the Pacific Coast but gas is really eating up my budget so it's time to hunker down a bit. Not as exciting but I need to get through quite a few states yet. Each stop I've been putting between $43-45 in the tank. Last year I was averaging $30-35. Quite a difference.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:45 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,623,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A little story about Marigold. This campground requires leashes and, she hates them. I put hers on and she ran around like a crazy cat until she got out of it. It took her about a minute, maybe less.

She then escaped when I opened the door. Yes, she stayed close but she was still out.

I don't think I'll ever be able to make her wear a harness and that does worry me. I tried telling her she couldn't afford the $400 fine but she just doesn't care.

She's been so free since she came to live with me. I'm just not sure how to deal with this problem.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:53 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,449,702 times
Wait, you were already in Othello? How did you get there? Did you go through the Cascades?

This is probably too late, but go north of Othello & catch I-90 at Moses Lake. Stay east on I-90 for some beautiful Idaho scenery, like Couer d'Alene & Wallace, which is a quaint little town & one of my favorite places. Take I-90 as far as Missoula (love that place). From there, you could head north on 93, toward Glacier NP, with Flathead Lake & Kalispell on the way, or continue on I-90 through Montana. Glacier is beautiful but the weather changes quickly & then the roads may be closed. We once got shut out in June due to snow. You should check the weather forecast, I use weather.com. Here in Western Washington we have had a cool, wet spring, so you should definitely check the weather for Glacier.

I don't usually like interstates, but I-90 through western Montana is beautiful. You can take a little side loop from Drummond to Anaconda. Deer Lodge has the nicest people. Butte has beautiful old buildings & mining history. Bozeman is nice. There are a lot of rest stops along the way that you could probably overnight in. I was impressed with how clean they are, a commode & sink in private, locking rooms, fenced dog areas, never saw that in other western states rest areas.

At Billings, catch I-94 to continue to North Dakota. I'm guessing you've been to the badlands at Theodore Roosevelt NP. If not, it's worth a stop & you can overnight there. My favorite part of North Dakota is Pembina area in the very NE corner of North Dakota. Pembina Gorge near Walhalla is a hidden gem. You would take I-29 north from Fargo.

Anyway, safe travels!

Old 05-07-2022, 06:23 AM

Excellent ideas and plans! I haven't left the Othello area so I'm going to try this.

Thanks for the tips.

I've been following 26 and not sure what mountains I went through but it was pretty hairy drive. I love the look of the mountains but not driving on them so much.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:17 AM

10,057 posts, read 18,129,095 times
Meo, I think whenever I read your posts that we need one of those USA maps with a red line that indicates your route. It would be fun to follow you that way!

Glad to hear you and Marigold are still doing well. More safe traveling to you both!

Old 05-07-2022, 01:45 PM

Hey Karen, I could use one of those myself.

Today I went from Othello to Missoula, MT, a little over 4 & 1/2 hours. I'm tired now. I'm at a Loves.

I wanted to stay at a National forest but, I don't have bear spray and the bears are out here. I can't risk Marigold. Besides, it's going between raining and drizzling and it's not fun to camp in that.

Last edited by meo92953; 05-07-2022 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing