Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:51 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
You do realize that the events you talk of took place two centuries ago?
And that means what?
Quote:
And Québec is not a breakaway aristocracy founded on slavery.
It's a breakaway supplicant subsisting on transfers. And will continue to shake a tin cup at the remainder of Canada, the U.S. and the U.N.
Quote:
Also, we are allowed to legally secede under Canadian law.
Quebec was one of the founding provinces. It helped make the terms on which it entered Confederation. Is joining a nation supposed to be a game of "heads I win tails you lose?
Quote:
The American civil war makes no parallels to Quebec separatism.
It's actually a very close parallel. And both are severely prejudicial to minorities left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 04:59 PM

428 posts, read 450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And that means what? It's a breakaway supplicant subsisting on transfers. And will continue to shake a tin cup at the remainder of Canada, the U.S. and the U.N.Quebec was one of the founding provinces. It helped make the terms on which it entered Confederation. Is joining a nation supposed to be a game of heads I win tails you lose?
It's actually a very close parallel. And both are severely prejudicial to minorities left behind.
^ lol

Old 03-12-2015, 05:01 PM

692 posts, read 957,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
From PBeauchamp's own words, he just needs to "squeeze Canada dry like a ripened fruit waiting to be plucked." Very graphic/poetic and demonstrates lots of creative potential as an individual
It actually makes me wonder whether or not he's actually Québecois, given his very creative grasp of English at a level beyond many Anglophones.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:12 PM

30 posts, read 31,761 times
Quebec should be free to decide it's destiny in accordance with the law. If they choose to separate then I respect their decision.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM

542 posts, read 503,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
It actually makes me wonder whether or not he's actually Québecois, given his very creative grasp of English at a level beyond many Anglophones.
I am a francophone who was born outside of Quebec and went to school in English. I only spoke French at home with my dad so eventually I came close to becoming better in English than in French. At age 12 or 13 when my dad (almost a unilingual francophone) moved us to Quebec and I finally went to school in French for the first time. I went to three universities, UdM, U of Ottawa, and I started to do my PhD at Simon Fraser when I had a change in the direction of my life. Anyhow, I am fully fluent in English and have a good enough grasp to contemplate completing a PhD in English, but I am told have an accent when I speak English. Now I run a business just outside of Montreal and live day to day life in French, but occasionally dabble in American media and books.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:27 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Pierre Trudeau, who I call Trudeau the Smarter was a Quebecker with an equally good and creative grasp of English. For example "I've been called worse things by better people." Or "fuddle duddle." Or "just watch me."

Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 PM

144 posts, read 134,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am glad you raised this. This is a good point.

I don't think that things would go back to the bad old days of discrimination. Quebec and its francophone population have matured a lot in their identity and self-assuredness, and have become way more educated, prosperous and savvy.

I do think that the linguistic and cultural erosion pressures could accentuate greatly though, and this in turn might lead to a bit of turmoil and fireworks in light of the nature of the francophone population that we have today as opposed to back then when more people felt powerless - on an individual level at least, which is why large collective movements were formed, including some revolutionary ones.
It would not go back as it was, but it doesn't mean that french would'nt be threatened either. In 1960 the people were less educated overall, but the will to survive as a nation was strong and obvious vs today more educated citizens but with very a weak collective interest, too much information, agressive lobbies, crystalization of voters based political strategy, etc makes it more unlikely to have citizen really willing to fight for anything requiring more 10 minutes of introspection...

I'm pushing a bit here, but I think you get the point, which is: we are not necessarly safer 'culturally' just because we're more educated and more confident (not confident enough to assume ourselves fully though)

Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
It would not go back as it was, but it doesn't mean that french would'nt be threatened either. In 1960 the people were less educated overall, but the will to survive as a nation was strong and obvious vs today more educated citizens but with very a weak collective interest, too much information, agressive lobbies, crystalization of voters based political strategy, etc makes it more unlikely to have citizen really willing to fight for anything requiring more 10 minutes of introspection...

I'm pushing a bit here, but I think you get the point, which is: we are not necessarly safer 'culturally' just because we're more educated and more confident (not confident enough to assume ourselves fully though)
It is a plausible scenario that a 21st century Quebec without Bill 101 would eventually lead to people of French Canadian origin to be primarily anglophone, but with the same high standard of living than they enjoy today.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I am a francophone who was born outside of Quebec and went to school in English. I only spoke French at home with my dad so eventually I came close to becoming better in English than in French. At age 12 or 13 when my dad (almost a unilingual francophone) moved us to Quebec and I finally went to school in French for the first time. I went to three universities, UdM, U of Ottawa, and I started to do my PhD at Simon Fraser when I had a change in the direction of my life. Anyhow, I am fully fluent in English and have a good enough grasp to contemplate completing a PhD in English, but I am told have an accent when I speak English. Now I run a business just outside of Montreal and live day to day life in French, but occasionally dabble in American media and books.
That sounds like a highly similar life path to mine, with a few differences.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 PM

542 posts, read 503,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That sounds like a highly similar life path to mine, with a few differences.
How was your path different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada