Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:22 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I am a francophone who was born outside of Quebec and went to school in English. I only spoke French at home with my dad so eventually I came close to becoming better in English than in French. At age 12 or 13 when my dad (almost a unilingual francophone) moved us to Quebec and I finally went to school in French for the first time. I went to three universities, UdM, U of Ottawa, and I started to do my PhD at Simon Fraser when I had a change in the direction of my life. Anyhow, I am fully fluent in English and have a good enough grasp to contemplate completing a PhD in English, but I am told have an accent when I speak English. Now I run a business just outside of Montreal and live day to day life in French, but occasionally dabble in American media and books.
OK, well I was born and raised outside Quebec. Went to school in English for many years, a few years in French immersion with anglos and some years in minority francophone schools. Also went to university in English outside Quebec. For much of younger my life I was better in English that I was in French. Including into my adult life.

But my parents were not Québécois - they were francophones from outside Quebec. Neither was unilingual. Both spoke English, though my dad has a slight accent in English and my mom has a stronger one. There was no move "back to Quebec" for my family because they were never from there to begin with. Neither of my parents has ever lived in Quebec (well, my mom kind of did - she worked there for a short time as a young lady) but ironically their friends have always generally been from the "expat" (sic) Québécois community in the places in Anglo-Canada where they've lived.

I moved to Quebec as a young adult when it was my decision to make. Like you, my everyday life is basically all in French these days. In spite of the fact that I live right on the border with Ontario.

All of my siblings are married to anglophones and none of them live in Quebec. The level of transmission of the French language and francophone culture to their children varies from family to family when it comes to my siblings. All of the kids speak at least some French (sometimes incredibly bastardized to the point where my kids have trouble understanding) at this point - they are still fairly young - but I suspect that in the future the language of communication between my kids and many of their cousins will be English, not French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:03 PM

242 posts, read 242,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Pierre Trudeau, who I call Trudeau the Smarter was a Quebecker with an equally good and creative grasp of English. For example "I've been called worse things by better people." Or "fuddle duddle." Or "just watch me."
Pierre Trudeau was a traitor to Québec and Canada. I wouldn't use his quotes.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Pierre Trudeau was a traitor to Québec and Canada. I wouldn't use his quotes.
For others he was a hero...

Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
And smarter by far then the best Quebec has either put forth or seen since.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:48 PM

144 posts, read 134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is a plausible scenario that a 21st century Quebec without Bill 101 would eventually lead to people of French Canadian origin to be primarily anglophone, but with the same high standard of living than they enjoy today.
Of course, but if quality of life is the goal then lets become a state of America, why bother with different cultures?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Of course, but if quality of life is the goal then lets become a state of America, why bother with different cultures?
QOL? Its rare that the U.S is ranked higher in QOL than Canada.. These QOL studies aren't the be all and end all but typically Canada ranks higher for QOL - particularly when you account for income inequality.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Another clear proof that we are two very different nations, because Trudeau is definitly not liked by a majority of french Quebecers.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Another clear proof that we are two very different nations, because Trudeau is definitly not liked by a majority of french Quebecers.
Well I wouldn't classify him as a hero to the majority of Canadians period - I was simply making a point that one man's traitor is another man's hero..

Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Well I wouldn't classify him as a hero to the majority of Canadians period - I was simply making a point that one man's traitor is another man's hero..
Well lets bring that at a more moderate level..not liked by most French quebecers and mostly liked by all other Canadians, except probably many natives who remember when he tried to abolish their ancestors rights with the new constitution

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
QOL? Its rare that the U.S is ranked higher in QOL than Canada.. These QOL studies aren't the be all and end all but typically Canada ranks higher for QOL - particularly when you account for income inequality.
QOL is dropping in Quebec with the death of the forestry, automotive industry, manufacturing research caused mainly by a lack of leadership from the federal govt and the raise of the currency driven by gas industry. So if Quebec cannot acquire all its money and power to control its potential, then Canada is clearly not enough, and I don't think Liberal or NPD will change that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada