Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I’m actually in favour of a merger between our two countries as a long term plan. I’m talking about something along the 50-100 year timescale. The US would need to solve some of its problems first and finally adopt the metric system. However, even I see that the logistics behind it are very complicated. A merger would never be fair as the US is 10 times bigger than Canada.
This is why the vast majority of Canadians would never agree to it. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Politically and constitutionally, the Canadian Crown is 100% independent of the British Crown.

Canada has been de facto independent since July 1, 1867, though not always de jure. The UK could interfere in Canada's affairs (though it never did), and could order Canada around. The whole "Dominion" thing was a way to let Canada run itself, thus relieving pressure on Westminster, while retaining control.

But the first cracks in that foundation appeared as early as 1918, when Canada signed the Versailles Treaty for itself--the UK did not sign for Canada. As a learned constitutional law colleague of mine once said, "if you can fight with the big boys, you can sign a treaty with the big boys," and Canada did. Next came the Balfour Declaration of 1926, which effectively made all British dominions independent; and that was codified into law with the Statute of Westminster 1931, which made the dominions de jure independent. This Statute pretty much said, "The UK will keep its hands off Canada's affairs, unless Canada asks the UK for help." And let's not forget that Canada entered WWII of its own accord, and signed peace treaties for itself in Europe in 1945 and aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay later in 1945.

Canada never did ask the UK for help, until the early 1980s, when it asked the UK to amend the British North America Act 1867; turning over all control of Canada to--well, Canada. For more on this, see Edward McWhinney's excellent book, Canada and the Constitution: 1979-1982 (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1982). I won't summarize it here; it is 215 pages long. But a good reference or law library would have it. (I have a copy on my office shelf.)

When you add up all of the above, the sum total means that Canada never needed a Declaration of Independence or a revolution, as our American friends had. In Canada's case, independence was a low-key and quiet process spanning many years, not a violent revolution spanning a few. The Queen of the UK became the Queen of Canada over time; and as Queen of Canada, she is constitutionally prevented from consulting the UK Parliament, her UK ministers, or anybody else in the UK when it comes to Canada's affairs. She further must adhere to Canadian constitutional norms when acting in her role as Queen of Canada. To Canada, the political entity, she is not the British Crown--she is the Canadian Crown.

The short answer is as Zoisite inferred: Politically and constitutionally, the Canadian Crown is 100% independent of the British Crown.
I'm not sure exactly why some non-Canadians, seem to misunderstand this. My guess is that in the press, in whichever form it takes, always represents the Queen as " The Queen of England " and not Australia or Canada. So in their minds, the UK has some power over us.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No they don't. Now, Sat, I understand from all your posts, life is about the bottom line, and weather.

There are people, including Americans ( SHOCK ) that see life as being a bit more all encompassing.

Things my American friends wish for the US are

1) a less violent society with better gun control

2) a form of universal healthcare

3) not spending billions to support the military complex

4) better labour laws..including paternity/maternity leave, etc.

5) a better public school system

6) a less divided society...not this us and them mentality.
The thing is Nat, they can find all those things within their own country. You only live one place at a time.

Yes people would like to see that displayed throughout the entire nation, but its alot easier to move across the country than outside of the country.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
No they don't. Now, Sat, I understand from all your posts, life is about the bottom line, and weather.

There are people, including Americans ( SHOCK ) that see life as being a bit more all encompassing.

Things my American friends wish for the US are

1) a less violent society with better gun control

Where in the vast majority of cases does not affect them

2) a form of universal healthcare

True but the situation is way better that the "horror story" in reality poor people have healthcare in the us

3) not spending billions to support the military complex

The billions spent create jobs and R&D that contribute to keep the US ahead of the pack.....the Industrial military complex is a huge job machine and also a welfare relief valve for many poor people

4) better labor laws..including paternity/maternity leave, etc.

As we discussed, in reality the vast majority of companies offer these, plus, there are single state laws

5) a better public school system

Somehow the US manages just to do fine for its human capital needs

6) a less divided society...not this us and them mentality.

The US society is not divided even if the political litigiousness is much higher than Canada

Botticelli is right....you typical American that wishes to move to Canada, would not be happy up there....

The US has its problem..and so Canada....and I see the US better positioned for many of the future challenges.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly why some non-Canadians, seem to misunderstand this. My guess is that in the press, in whichever form it takes, always represents the Queen as " The Queen of England " and not Australia or Canada. So in their minds, the UK has some power over us.

..........is pretty easy to understand why the non-Canadian general public misunderstand this, they read that Canada Head of state is Queen Elizabeth II which, for the entire world, is the Queen of England.
I frankly do not understand why Canada cannot adopt its own Canadian Head of State where it can maintain the Westminster style parliamentary system.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-07-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The thing is Nat, they can find all those things within their own country. You only live one place at a time.

...and Natnasci ignores the advantages of living in the US, which are quite substantial.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Yes people would like to see that displayed throughout the entire nation, but its alot easier to move across the country than outside of the country.
Depends on what type of country you want. All countries have variations, but having unifying threads, a thing Canadians get accused of not having.

It's got to be better than " we can blow them up ", " I've got mine, ********* " " guns equal freedom " " I can't afford my healthcare any longer " and feeling things are just great, as the current government is doing everything in it's power to destroy the middle-class...but hey, at least the " economy " is chugging along. Sigh.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...and Natnasci ignores the advantages of living in the US, which are quite substantial.
While ignoring the advantages of Canada.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
..........is pretty easy to understand why the non-Canadian general public misunderstand this, they read that Canada Head of state is Queen Elizabeth II which, for the entire world, is the Queen of England.
I frankly do not understand why Canada cannot adopt its own Canadian Head of State where it can maintain the Westminster style parliamentary system.
It would take all provinces and territories to agree and a constitutional amendment. Not so easy.

The idea of getting rid of the monarchy comes and goes. Personally I waver back and forth myself.

It doesn't really cost us anything, unless they visit. We are totally free and independent, so politically it doesn't make much difference.

However, I wouldn't be sad if we were to part ways...especially after Her Majesty passes.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Depends on what type of country you want. All countries have variations, but having unifying threads, a thing Canadians get accused of not having.

It's got to be better than " we can blow them up ", " I've got mine, ********* " " guns equal freedom " " I can't afford my healthcare any longer " and feeling things are just great, as the current government is doing everything in it's power to destroy the middle-class...but hey, at least the " economy " is chugging along. Sigh.
Everyone wants a perfect country, but then we all wake up and realize that does not exist. It does not take that much effort to find a record of atrocities and injustices committed against your own citizens. But while you care, as we all should and fight to make it better, we still need to carry on with our own lives in the interim.

You think I am happy about Brexit and the fact that a hard exit will take away countless options from my daughter in the future as to where she can study and live? Of course not, but if one city within the country suits our needs for the time being then we have to hold our noses and make the best of it. I figure Americans and Canadians alike believe the same when they are deciding where to live. Sometimes that happiness can easily be found within your own country rather than leaving it all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada