Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

Boring? Canada? Not to me. I love to visit. Find most folks I meet there friendly and helpful. Canada is sweet. And the natural beauty in many places is spectacular. And I feel safe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Everyone wants a perfect country, but then we all wake up and realize that does not exist. It does not take that much effort to find a record of atrocities and injustices committed against your own citizens. But while you care, as we all should and fight to make it better, we still need to carry on with our own lives in the interim.

You think I am happy about Brexit and the fact that a hard exit will take away countless options from my daughter in the future as to where she can study and live? Of course not, but if one city within the country suits our needs for the time being then we have to hold our noses and make the best of it. I figure Americans and Canadians alike believe the same when they are deciding where to live. Sometimes that happiness can easily be found within your own country rather than leaving it all together.
I agree, and if you are lucky enough to live in a country where you can live in the eye of the storm, then great.

My concern for the US is the eye of the storm is disappearing.

As for Brexit ( of course a totally different dynamic than US/Canada ) I also agree. I think it was a huge mistake.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree, and if you are lucky enough to live in a country where you can live in the eye of the storm, then great.

As for Brexit ( of course a totally different dynamic than US/Canada ) I also agree. I think it was a huge mistake.
That is where we differ. I completely understand the reasons behind your thinking, but as someone who still spends a considerable amount of time in the US and lived there full time very recently, I would say that eye is still fully intact. The city I lived in most recently offered me a very similar quality of life to what I enjoy now. Of course it cant hold a candle to London in other aspects, but it was and continues to be a wonderful place to live.

I assume that could be replicated in many other places throughout the nation.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 12-07-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
It would take all provinces and territories to agree and a constitutional amendment. Not so easy.

The idea of getting rid of the monarchy comes and goes. Personally I waver back and forth myself.

It doesn't really cost us anything, unless they visit. We are totally free and independent, so politically it doesn't make much difference.

However, I wouldn't be sad if we were to part ways...especially after Her Majesty passes.
I think the eye of the storm that you referenced in your other post is quite well represented by the monarchy. A monarchy such as the one we have and the UK has etc gives the appearance of stability while one tries to out-wait the barbarians at the gates.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:

What storm?? What are you talking about?? The US is doing just fine.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
What storm?? What are you talking about?? The US is doing just fine.
Haaar; of course it is.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar; of course it is.
Yes, despite all the hysterical screams that the sky is falling....

Old 12-07-2017, 05:36 PM

htthttps://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/wo...li=AAggFp5p://

Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

.........and??

I can randomly pull a crime chronicle article from a Canadian magazine...

Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
.........and??

I can randomly pull a crime chronicle article from a Canadian magazine...
Yeah you can, but you cannot do it for each and every day of the freak'n week with three or more deaths of children involved.

Get a grip Sat.: the U.S., in consideration of these stupid shootings happening all over the country to the extent everyone's inured to them now as even agreed to by these folks //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...events-so.html and the added nonsense of state reps being chosen regardless of their accused pedophilia?

The country is under stress and while you might not agree, millions are concerned and worried.

Just entertained two American couples for an evening and both of them have decided to arm themselves due to frequent and alarming threats in the area. One, a Vietnam vet, stated categorically he thought he would never again touch a firearm of any kind and now he's decided to arm both himself and his wife.

That is fugged up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada