Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Exactly, "eonian life" is not living forever. That is why we also must put on immortality.

This has been explained to Finn numerous times but he doesn't listen.
Maybe he can't listen . . . yet.

The wonderful thing though, and I know you get it, legoman, is that one day Finn will see, hear and know. One day we will all have one big group hug. I can't wait to visit with Finn once we all put on immortality and incorruption. Then we will know as He is known and will no long see through a glass darkly. We don't know it all either.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
The time of the ages will last exactly as long as God wants it to.
OK. You have no idea. I got it. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,708 times
Lightbulb Redemption in two parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
OK. You have no idea. I got it. Thanks.
Finn, are you not satisfied with God's intimate sovereign control over the timing of everything?

GOD'S PLAN OF THE AGES
God's Plan Of The Ages; The Purpose Of God In This Age; Redemption In Two Parts; As In Adam - So In Christ; Every Man In His Own Order; All Things In Subjection; God All In All

BTW, I love the attitude of Eusebius in post #801!! :-)

Last edited by rodgertutt; 12-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Hell - Eternal Torment or Annihilation...?

Neither, I more suspect it would fall into the realm of the mythological.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Finn, are you not satisfied with God's intimate sovereign control over the timing of everything?
I am more than satisfied with Jesus's promise of eternal life. I won't have to guess if eternal means only 2 minutes, 2 years or 20 years. Praise the Lord.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Lightbulb "even so IN CHRIST ALL shall be made alive."

Quote:
I am more than satisfied with Jesus's promise of eternal life. I won't have to guess if eternal means only 2 minutes, 2 years or 20 years. Praise the Lord.
It means not only life for the ages which collectively come to an end Heb. 9:26 - the end of the eons (plural), but never ending life after the consummation of the ages when everyone will have life, after all death (including the second death) is abolished and everyone has put on immortality.

You don't need to worry about not having eternal life, but not because of the word aionios.

Matt. 25:46 shows the "eonian chastisement" and "eonian life" are of the same duration-lasting during the eons, and when the eons end, as Scripture states they will (1 Cor. 10:11; Heb. 9:26), the time called "eonian" is past and the life called "eonian" is finished, but life continues beyond the eons, as Paul teaches at 1 Cor. 15:26: "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." That is, the last, the final one in order.

How will it be destroyed? First Corinthians 15:22 gives the answer:
"For as IN ADAM ALL are dying, even so IN CHRIST ALL shall be made alive."
Notice that it doesn't say "all who are in Christ shall be made alive."
Of course they will, but that's not what God said here.
The wording of the Greek is clear, and it says "in Christ shall all be made alive."
Death (including the second death) is abolished when ALL have been vivified, or made alive, IN CHRIST.

There will then be no more death, including no more second death.
Just as life is destroyed by death, so death is destroyed by life.
Our present bodies are mortal and corruptible (1 Cor. 15:44-55),
but when mankind is made alive IN CHRIST they will be raised immortal and incorruptible.

Last edited by rodgertutt; 12-02-2010 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Matt. 25:46 shows the "eonian chastisement" and "eonian life" are of the same duration-lasting during the eons, and when the eons end, as Scripture states they will (1 Cor. 10:11; Heb. 9:26), the time called "eonian" is past and the life called "eonian" is finished, but life continues beyond the eons, as Paul teaches at 1 Cor. 15:26: "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." That is, the last, the final one in order.
Sigh....even YLT uses the word "PUNISHMENT", yet you somehow manage to twist it into 'chastisement'.

The Bible talks about this age, and the age to come - eternal life.

Yes, death will be thrown in the lake of fire with Satan, his angels and unbelievers.

Some fairy take you have been taught....

Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Lightbulb Salvation out of the lake of fire which is the 2nd death

Quote:
Sigh....even YLT uses the word "PUNISHMENT", yet you somehow manage to twist it into 'chastisement'.
God's punishment is always corrective in nature.

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective punishment) in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."
Also see what other Greek scholars say about it
Chapter Eleven

Quote:
The Bible talks about this age, and the age to come - eternal life.
No it doesn't. It literally says and the age to come, life eonian.
Unbelievers will not enjoy that age but will experience the second death instead.

Quote:
Yes, death will be thrown in the lake of fire with Satan, his angels and unbelievers.
Everyone who is thrown into the lake of fire which is the second death will be saved out of it.

L. Ray Smith - The Lake of Fire - Part 1
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire - part 2
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire - Part 3
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire part 4

Last edited by rodgertutt; 12-02-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
Quote:
It sure sounds like you pick any translation which glorifies your theories.

So, exactly how long is age-during life that God promises to those who believe in Him? A year? Hundred years?
Hi Finn_Jarber, I'm going to answer that question and my answer is contrary to many universalists. Aionios Life is life that is age-continuing life. For someone to say that God's life is age-during is such a blasphemous statement. What God's life is - is age-continuing life. All of us are being punishment (as the children of Adam who have been cast out of Paradise and worthy of death as is appointed us). Some are going to experience Aionion Punishment (age-continuing punishment) while others are going to experience (age-continuing) life.

So how long is Aionion life? - the word aionios doesn't address an end point. It only addresses a continuing point. So the endpoint is effectively CONCEALED from us.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Hi Finn_Jarber, I'm going to answer that question and my answer is contrary to many universalists. Aionios Life is life that is age-continuing life. For someone to say that God's life is age-during is such a blasphemous statement. What God's life is - is age-continuing life. All of us are being punishment (as the children of Adam who have been cast out of Paradise and worthy of death as is appointed us). Some are going to experience Aionion Punishment (age-continuing punishment) while others are going to experience (age-continuing) life.

So how long is Aionion life? - the word aionios doesn't address an end point. It only addresses a continuing point. So the endpoint is effectively CONCEALED from us.
Quote:
The original word - αἰώνιον aionion - is employed in the New Testament 66 times. Of these, in 51 instances it is used of the happiness of the righteous; in two, of God's existence; in six, of the church and the Messiah's kingdom; and in the remaining seven, of the future punishment of the wicked. If in these seven instances we attach to the word the idea of limited duration, consistency requires that the same idea of limited duration should be given it in the 51 cases of its application to the future glory of the righteous, and the two instances of its application to God's existence, and the six eases of its appropriation to the future reign of the Messiah and the glory and perpetuity of the church. But no one will presume to deny that in these instances it denotes unlimited duration, and therefore, in accordance with the sound laws of interpretation and of language itself, the same sense of unlimited duration must be given it when used of future punishment - Owen, in loc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity