Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The Textus Receptus is the source text for the KJV. The YLT conveys a better understanding of the underlying source:

Mat 7:14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Again, note that is PRESENT Tense.
Not exactly,

“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to

Old 12-05-2010, 04:00 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Do you believe God is Almighty?
I believe God is Almighty. And I believe God always speaks the truth. And that is why when God tells us only a few will enter the Gate that leads to life. I believe Him.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not exactly,

“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to
Finn_Jarber here is the version I'm quoting that using it as Present Tense:

YLT
Mat 7:14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

PRESENT TENSE.

What Bible version are you quoting from?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I believe God is Almighty. And I believe God always speaks the truth. And that is why when God tells us only a few will enter the Gate that leads to life. I believe Him.
Ok, so at this point we have it that you believe that God doesn't get what He desires but is Almighty. Do you believe He is Alknowing?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Finn_Jarber here is the version I'm quoting that using it as Present Tense:

YLT

PRESENT TENSE.

What Bible version are you quoting from?
Here is the YLT : Luke 13 "`Be striving to go in through the straight gate, because many, I say to you, will seek to go in, and shall not be able; "

Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Here is the YLT : Luke 13 "`Be striving to go in through the straight gate, because many, I say to you, will seek to go in, and shall not be able; "
See above your verse is Luke 13 and not Mat 7:14. Maybe you were confused which verse we were discussing. Mat 7:14 is PRESENT Tense.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The Spirit has already told us what He desires, yet He also told us what will be. And this is as far as the East is from the West. Only a sinful nature would ignore the words of Jesus prophecy. Gods Spirit will guide us in all truth. Yet His spirit will not contradict His Biblical words of truth. We are sinners already when we are born. We become only Holy before God, when we freely give our life to Jesus.
Truly, he did indicate what is to come:"…for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction; and there are many who enter through it."
Unfortunately, many to not comprehend the nature of this destruction, but they will enter in through it.

"Destroying the wickedness or combination of parts under which a thing exists, makes restoration possible."

Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
See above your verse is Luke 13 and not Mat 7:14. Maybe you were confused which verse we were discussing. Mat 7:14 is PRESENT Tense.
So what? The point is to figure out Jesus said about the gates. The point is not to figure out if one word is Matthew is in present tense.

You should always compare scripture to scripture. Matthew is not the only book which talks about the narrow gate, so why do you insist that only Matthew applies? The verse in Luke proves that few will EVER enter.

It is a waste of time to confuse yourself with the tenses and translations of one word in one verse when the same message is repeated in many places. All you need to do is compare scripture to scripture, and the pieces come together. The Bible repeats things, and the more important the message, the more often it is repeated. For example the message about salvation through faith is repeated nearly 200 times.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
So what? The point is to figure out Jesus said about the gates. The point is not to figure out if one word is Matthew is in present tense.
If we don't confirm and figure out each word then how can one ever be sure of what Jesus said?

Quote:
You should always compare scripture to scripture. Matthew is not the only book which talks about the narrow gate, so why do you insist that only Matthew applies? The verse in Luke proves that few will EVER enter.
No the verses in Luke shows that the unrighteous (that thought they were followers of God) will be cast out - it doesn't have any reference to HOW LONG or to what point in time that will be. After all Adam was cast out of Paradise Himself along with ALL of those born unto Adam.

Quote:
It is a waste of time to confuse yourself with the tenses and translations of one word in one verse when the same message is repeated in many places. All you need to do is compare scripture to scripture, and the pieces come together. The Bible repeats things, and the more important the message, the more often it is repeated. For example the message about salvation through faith is repeated nearly 200 times.
I try to help you to understand but for some reason, I believe you don't think I'm sincere. Here is some scriptures of why I do search these things:

Act 17:10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
If we don't confirm and figure out each word then how can one ever be sure of what Jesus said?
Well, now that I have provided supporting evidence, the pieces came together, and we know Jesus meant that only few will ever enter.

There is a problem with clinging to one verse in one book. If you study one word in one verse, and come to your conclusion, but if your conclusion conflicts other verses in the Bible which talk about the same message, then your conclusion is incorrect. This is why it is important to compare scripture to scripture. It confirms what is true.

Perhaps sometimes you make things too complicated. The Bible is not complicated. Read, and let Holy Spirit guide you to the truth.

Quote:
Here is some scriptures of why I do search these things:
That is what I am saying too. Comparing scripture to scripture is searching. You read a verse, and then you read more to see what other parts of the Bible say about the matter. You will find that there are no contradictions. If you think you ran into a contradiction, then you need to search some more.

Quote:
Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
EXACTLY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity