Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 PM

796 posts, read 859,156 times

Advertisements

I would ask God how He can be so patient with stupid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,405 times
I believe I would ask the Lord to give me the Holy Spirit that I may be directed to do His will. Peter said in Acts 5:32 that God gives the Holy Ghost to those who OBEY Him.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I believe I would ask the Lord to give me the Holy Spirit that I may be directed to do His will. Peter said in Acts 5:32 that God gives the Holy Ghost to those who OBEY Him.

And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the LORD--the Lord of all the earth--set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap."

When we act in faith the Holy Ghost parts the waters.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the LORD--the Lord of all the earth--set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap."

When we act in faith the Holy Ghost parts the waters.
Great post!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 9,493 times
Default Nonsense, it is not 'proof' of anything and is not even evidence

of anything itself. You have proposed perhaps the ultimate tautology (and absurdity.)
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
The universe itself is proof of God.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 PM

505 posts, read 575,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Robert: Biblically we are shown 4 ways in which the Holy Spirit comes to (and INto) man:
1) Directly (Acts, chapter 2:1-4)
2) Water baptism (John 1:29-34, specifically verse 33)
3) Breathing upon (John 20:21-23)
4) Laying on of hands (Acts 8:15-19, 19:1-6; Rom. 1:11;1 Tim. 4:14; 2 Tim. 1:6)

You are looking at options #2 and #4, realistically. I assume you've done your homework, studied up on this and know what to expect.
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]You need to know that when you receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit you will receive one or more Spiritual gifts from God! What a glorious God we serve!!!! However, there are conditions to receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]
These "conditions" could be said to be requirements. Fortunately, they are not difficult. God wants to make it as easy as possible for those who desire this blessing. Sounds like you already meet all of them. Pay close attention to the last one on the following list:
1. Born again. The fullness of the Spirit and Spiritual gifts are only given to Christians.
2. Thirst. You must desire this and eagerly thirst for this blessing. "But COVET (have a strong passion
for) earnestly" the best gifts: and yet show I unto you a more excellent way." (1 Cor. 12:31) This is a
command for all Christians and not to be taken lightly or ignored. Here God tells us a Christian life
FILLED with the Holy Spirit and using Spiritual gifts is a more excellent way of life than life without it!
3. Come to Me! Jesus said this; not as much as a man speaking, but as God. You must surrender to God
and the will of God in this situation. As such, you must know that it IS God's will for you to do this and to
receive this blessing and the gift(s) that come with it. It also includes that you ASK for this. This is biblical.
God sets forth proper ways for us to follow. We must be obedient and obey. Ask for this openly, and out
loud! (Luke 11:9).
4. Drink. This is whole-hearted reception of the gifts, fruit and operations of the Holy Spirit in your life
following this blessing of Baptism.
5. Believe on Me as the Scripture hath said. Believe in Jesus Christ and the whole gospel program and
message and way of life. Be prepared to totally surrender to the Holy Spirit!
6. Exercise and use the gift(s). God will give you one or more spiritual gifts upon your Baptism in the
Holy Spirit. It is necessary (and biblical) that you respond in a biblical manner. On the day of Pentecost,
they ALL responded by speaking in tongues.
This is far and away the first gift given to Christians!
Although not everyone speaks in tongues upon Baptism (1 Cor. 12:30), I have only ever meet one
Christian in MY LIFE, who was Baptized in the Holy Spirit, who DID NOT speak in tongues!. You need to know that when you are baptized in the Holy Spirit, He will speak through you! This is the least gift (if any gift from God can be called this!), the gift of tongues. He will give you the words and the utterance, BUT YOU MUST PHYSICALLY RESPOND, just like those on the day of Pentecost. When the Holy Spirit prompts you to speak, go ahead and speak! - don't sit there with your mouth hanging open! When you surrender to the Spirit, you are surrendering your lungs, the air in them, your mouth, tongue and lips to the Holy Spirit to use and to speak with. He will use them but you must breathe the air in and out, move your
tongue, lips and mouth etc... Do you understand? You must voluntarily and physically respond. This is a 2
person event; you desire and ask, God gives, you receive and respond. It is co-operation between God
and man of the highest blessing and favor! Your response is action based on faith, rather than just
passive, inactive acceptance of this blessing! God offers the Baptism in the Holy Spirit to ALL Christians;
if you want the fullness of the Holy Spirit, hitch up your britches, ask for it, and receive it.
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Find a Spirit-filled Christian friend or (preferably) a Pastor who's done this kind of thing before. Have a short meeting with them and have them tell you exactly what the procedure is and what will happen so there are no surprises.

As for the "obey"ing you spoke of: the verse you quoted is not as limiting as you might imagine. If you are a born-again Christian, have your sins forgiven and are not living in a backslidden condition or lifestyle (have truly repented), you are obeying.

The one piece of advice I 'd give you while you receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit is this: surrender to Him completely. Trust Him. Receive Him as you have received Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
Fasten your seat belt!~ Your relationship to God is about to sky-rocket up to a whole new level!! You are being filled with power and authority. God bless!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Robert: Biblically we are shown 4 ways in which the Holy Spirit comes to (and INto) man:
1) Directly (Acts, chapter 2:1-4)
2) Water baptism (John 1:29-34, specifically verse 33)
3) Breathing upon (John 20:21-23)
4) Laying on of hands (Acts 8:15-19, 19:1-6; Rom. 1:11;1 Tim. 4:14; 2 Tim. 1:6)

You are looking at options #2 and #4, realistically. I assume you've done your homework, studied up on this and know what to expect.
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]You need to know that when you receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit you will receive one or more Spiritual gifts from God! What a glorious God we serve!!!! However, there are conditions to receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=2]
These "conditions" could be said to be requirements. Fortunately, they are not difficult. God wants to make it as easy as possible for those who desire this blessing. Sounds like you already meet all of them. Pay close attention to the last one on the following list:
1. Born again. The fullness of the Spirit and Spiritual gifts are only given to Christians.
2. Thirst. You must desire this and eagerly thirst for this blessing. "But COVET (have a strong passion
for) earnestly" the best gifts: and yet show I unto you a more excellent way." (1 Cor. 12:31) This is a
command for all Christians and not to be taken lightly or ignored. Here God tells us a Christian life
FILLED with the Holy Spirit and using Spiritual gifts is a more excellent way of life than life without it!
3. Come to Me! Jesus said this; not as much as a man speaking, but as God. You must surrender to God
and the will of God in this situation. As such, you must know that it IS God's will for you to do this and to
receive this blessing and the gift(s) that come with it. It also includes that you ASK for this. This is biblical.
God sets forth proper ways for us to follow. We must be obedient and obey. Ask for this openly, and out
loud! (Luke 11:9).
4. Drink. This is whole-hearted reception of the gifts, fruit and operations of the Holy Spirit in your life
following this blessing of Baptism.
5. Believe on Me as the Scripture hath said. Believe in Jesus Christ and the whole gospel program and
message and way of life. Be prepared to totally surrender to the Holy Spirit!
6. Exercise and use the gift(s). God will give you one or more spiritual gifts upon your Baptism in the
Holy Spirit. It is necessary (and biblical) that you respond in a biblical manner. On the day of Pentecost,
they ALL responded by speaking in tongues.
This is far and away the first gift given to Christians!
Although not everyone speaks in tongues upon Baptism (1 Cor. 12:30), I have only ever meet one
Christian in MY LIFE, who was Baptized in the Holy Spirit, who DID NOT speak in tongues!. You need to know that when you are baptized in the Holy Spirit, He will speak through you! This is the least gift (if any gift from God can be called this!), the gift of tongues. He will give you the words and the utterance, BUT YOU MUST PHYSICALLY RESPOND, just like those on the day of Pentecost. When the Holy Spirit prompts you to speak, go ahead and speak! - don't sit there with your mouth hanging open! When you surrender to the Spirit, you are surrendering your lungs, the air in them, your mouth, tongue and lips to the Holy Spirit to use and to speak with. He will use them but you must breathe the air in and out, move your
tongue, lips and mouth etc... Do you understand? You must voluntarily and physically respond. This is a 2
person event; you desire and ask, God gives, you receive and respond. It is co-operation between God
and man of the highest blessing and favor! Your response is action based on faith, rather than just
passive, inactive acceptance of this blessing! God offers the Baptism in the Holy Spirit to ALL Christians;
if you want the fullness of the Holy Spirit, hitch up your britches, ask for it, and receive it.
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Find a Spirit-filled Christian friend or (preferably) a Pastor who's done this kind of thing before. Have a short meeting with them and have them tell you exactly what the procedure is and what will happen so there are no surprises.

As for the "obey"ing you spoke of: the verse you quoted is not as limiting as you might imagine. If you are a born-again Christian, have your sins forgiven and are not living in a backslidden condition or lifestyle (have truly repented), you are obeying.

The one piece of advice I 'd give you while you receive the fullness of the Holy Spirit is this: surrender to Him completely. Trust Him. Receive Him as you have received Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
Fasten your seat belt!~ Your relationship to God is about to sky-rocket up to a whole new level!! You are being filled with power and authority. God bless!
great post

Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlschneider View Post
of anything itself. You have proposed perhaps the ultimate tautology (and absurdity.)
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
There's no way around the logic of intelligent design, cause and effect and 1 st cause. Science itself holds to the law of cause and effect. Since the big bang theory excused itself a couple of years ago as being the possible cause of the CREATION of the universe, the latest concoction atheists and agnostics have come up with is this: the universe created itself! Please! THAT is the ultimate absurdity!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
great post
I second the that auntieannie68 gave to the post of Joint heir with jesus.
I am a member of the Shiloh Truelight Church of Jesus Christ in Mint Hill, NC. We believe strongly that to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, we must truly repent of our past sins, accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord and Master, commit ourselves to be obedient to His sayings, and ask Him to give us His Spirit to direct our lives to the end of our days. If we are truly being directed by the Holy Spirit, we have power over Satan to the extent that we will never again commit a willful direct disobedience toward the sayings of our Lord and Savior. We will make many mistakes, even with the Spirit of Christ abiding in and through us, but when we recognize we have inadvertently sinned, we read in 1 john 1:[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 Cor 3:[11] For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
[12] Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
[13] Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
[14] If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
[15] If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
The wood, hay and stubble can be burned if we confess to our Savior, but if we sin willfully, in a malicious, premeditated way, we read in Heb. 10:[26] For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, [which comes only through the Holy Spirit] there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
I would ask God how He can be so patient with stupid people.
Psalm 86:15

New King James Version (NKJV)

[SIZE=3]15 [/SIZE]But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious,
Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.

One of God's characteristics is His longsuffering toward us, stupid and stubborn (stiff-necked in the O. T.). He has patience like no other! We should all try to obtain this trait.

We should know however, that His patience, just like His grace, does have a limit and we must try not test it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity