Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 03:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times

Advertisements

no,

I try and lead people away from "died for our sins" or "died, woke up, and flew away". There is no need to dump common sense, its anti christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 03:11 PM

10,506 posts, read 7,078,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
No, pointing out that firey darts from the wicked one are being cast, is not the same as claiming they HIT. In fact, when the water (Spirit) is deep enough, they're just extinguished, because there is no flesh/earth there TO hit. Principle of "sounding" for depth of water, in case anyone's interested. The closer to shore/earth/flesh, the shallower the water. Peace
You realize that that is pure nonsense, whatever it was you were trying to say. Plain English, please.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Seriously?
Have I ever called you a name? Or told you that your way of thinking was barbaric, or delusional?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Have I ever called you a name? Or told you that your way of thinking was barbaric, or delusional?
"Here we go again."

Old 08-31-2017, 03:24 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,302,588 times
I am jumping into this conversation because of the question - Do you have a mission to bring people to Jesus? Really brief background - I'm an agnostic Jew who believes more in the "great man" theory than "son of God" one. But that being said, religion can be discussed among all.

This personally bothers me if this is a persons agenda. I never appreciated the Mormons knocking door-to-door attempting to convert. I do like like religion to have an underlying "sales pitch" to it. I don't understand why an individual would feel compelled to reach out to others to "bring them in" to their beliefs.

Just speaking personally about your own belief is fine. I have plenty of Christian friends who believe wholeheartedly in Jesus and they are very open about it. Yet not once does the conversation ever lean to "what about me and why don't I consider following" or something in that ilk.

You are born into a religion, and as you grow up and learn you may want to convert or change your beliefs. But that needs to come solely from within and not from somebody trying to give me reasons why I should follow.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This personally bothers me if this is a persons agenda. I never appreciated the Mormons knocking door-to-door attempting to convert. I do like like religion to have an underlying "sales pitch" to it. I don't understand why an individual would feel compelled to reach out to others to "bring them in" to their beliefs.
Shortened to save scrolling...great post, great contribution to the topic. Thanks, metalmancpa.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 PM

63,957 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no account of wrongs. 6Love takes no pleasure in evil, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Lessee, should "does not take umbrage at contradiction of beliefs?"
I am amazed that anyone could read those descriptions of the Holy Spirit and reject them in favor of conflicting, contradicting, and inconsistent "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,383,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If so, how do you do it? Do you feel successful?

Not to leave others out, ha...
Do you have a 'mission' for something else?
Want to talk about it?

Added: Gosh, I should have said...and can we keep it friendly!!?
If it's mean, keep it to yourself. Simple.
'Think it, don't fling it.' Seems fair to me.
As an adult.. I realized long before that you cannot preach and change people.. Talk is cheap to most everybody.. I realized by the time I became an adult that the best way to influence anybody is by Actions!! So treat others as you would treat yourself.. or show respect even tho some may mock you.. or treat people ( AN RN) who did horrific things wether or not you hated or wanted to do something unethical to deny them proper treatment...

My point is and has always been to walk the walk.. NOT TALK the walk and NOT exhibit that TALK in one's own life and social interactions!! It's one thing to WANT something but to work daily that actually shows opposite actions to that .. simply means whatever you declare is FALSE/FAKE and most likely SELF-Serving!! That in of itself is " Manipulative" for personal gain.. which is designated as a Mortal SIN!!

Unfortunately professionals today are ALL not so pure.. In fact between many Opticians/Lawyers /Preachers who claim what they WANT to do for you turns out to be a BIG FAT LIE!! I'm just a little person who interacted with thousands.. and never PREACHED God's word EVER.. I chose to walk theTalk and hopefully earn respect and bring to light.. Good actions will BEGET Good ACTIONS by those who experience and appreciate it!! No preacher had to tell me this.. Path of Life Experience did!!

Old 09-01-2017, 04:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
As an adult.. I realized long before that you cannot preach and change people.. Talk is cheap to most everybody.. I realized by the time I became an adult that the best way to influence anybody is by Actions!!
So treat others as you would treat yourself.. or show respect even tho some may mock you..

My point is and has always been to walk the walk.. NOT TALK the walk....
Thanks for bringing back the orig topic...and I agree.

Thought I'd mention, I know that being a person that constantly talks about things people either know
already or get sick of hearing is counterproductive...we even see it here in the forum.
It ends up being a source of polarization rather than unification and spreading of any knowledge.
A mystery is why they can not see what they are doing.

This was in relation to you bringing up 'walking the walk/ preaching doesn't change people'...anyone that out of touch
with basic human behavior that can not see how their words are turning so many off
has a message that is questionable...
Not having absorbed through quiet observation the natural wisdom that creates finesse and charm in
interacting with others, I mean.

Being filled with the Holy Spirit shows in a person in every way...especially in kindness, sensitivity, thoughtfulness,
meeting a person on their level, all qualities of love which is the core
and only quality of the Holy Spirit...as opposed to ..well... what goes in here often.

i kinda went on and on...point is, thanks Lyndarn.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM

1,003 posts, read 797,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If so, how do you do it? Do you feel successful?
Yes!
Part IV. The Life and Teachings of Jesus | Urantia Book | Urantia Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity