Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 03:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

He has made us ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:41 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I understand that. That’s why you have churches with all kinds of interpretations on the Bible and how to handle this and that.

I attended a church in the past that wouldn’t allow anyone in a leadership role if they were divorced. I found out the hard way when I got booted out of a leadership role after I discovered it in their bylaws. I told them I was married and divorced when I was a kid (18, stupid mistake). They booted me.
Really, I don't have a problem with each church deciding. Like I said, I may disagree personally, but I'm not going to tell a church they HAVE to allow someone to serve. I would also never tell a church or pastor that they HAVE to officiate a gay wedding, or have a gay wedding on their property.

The problem comes when they bring this attitude to the public sphere, like the baker or Kim Davis. Then we have an issue.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Really, I don't have a problem with each church deciding. Like I said, I may disagree personally, but I'm not going to tell a church they HAVE to allow someone to serve. I would also never tell a church or pastor that they HAVE to officiate a gay wedding, or have a gay wedding on their property.

The problem comes when they bring this attitude to the public sphere, like the baker or Kim Davis. Then we have an issue.
I would agree with you. Kim Davis had a duty that she failed to fulfill. There are some here that equate not allowing homosexuals in leadership roles as discrimination. I don’t believe that’s the case.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
I would agree with you. Kim Davis had a duty that she failed to fulfill. There are some here that equate not allowing homosexuals in leadership roles as discrimination. I don’t believe that’s the case.
I understand what they mean, and by the strict definition, I suppose it could be. I can certainly see why a gay person would think so, and why people would disagree with that stance though. The large majority just want to be treated like everyone else, in and out of church.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
It is not. Every church is, and should be, free to make their own rules. It is absurd to assume people should be able to march into a church and demand them to change the rules to accommodate their views, or else they will accuse them of discrimination. That is a strong arm tactic.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not. Every church is, and should be, free to make their own rules. It is absurd to assume people should be able to march into a church and demand them to change the rules to accommodate their views, or else they will accuse them of discrimination. That is a strong arm tactic.
I suppose you have no problem with a blood letting or an animal sacrifice, if it's a part of your ritual?

Old 09-19-2019, 04:42 PM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You've always been able to get married to another person. No one has restricted that right.
So yeah, I could marry someone I didn't love, just to fit in with what others think I should do. That's not a right, that's just plain cruelty.

Trust me, you're not doing a whole lot to promote the virtues of your religion. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'll say it now and will repeat it until the day I die - religion stinks out loud and I want no part of it, ever.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:48 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I suppose you have no problem with a blood letting or an animal sacrifice, if it's a part of your ritual?
Not every church is going to agree on every point. Believing the Bible says homosexuality is not acceptable in the eyes of God is vastly different from animal sacrifice.

However, if you’re interested in attending a church that allows animal sacrifice, start here (I’m not sure this is still the law of the land):

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/12/u...an-animal.html

Old 09-19-2019, 05:13 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
So yeah, I could marry someone I didn't love, just to fit in with what others think I should do. That's not a right, that's just plain cruelty.

Trust me, you're not doing a whole lot to promote the virtues of your religion. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'll say it now and will repeat it until the day I die - religion stinks out loud and I want no part of it, ever.
I'm glad you are here, Radical Thinker, to bear witness to what Christianity's incorrect beliefs have done to living breathing human beings. I'm here because I want to help Christianity--my faith tradition---to evolve into the commandment to love everyone, which it is not doing.

Is there anyone who reads the last sentence Radical Thinker wrote and isn't grieved in the heart? That religion caused this? The religion that says Love One Another did this?

Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Let Radical_Thinker know that, would you? It's been changed. Because a very vocal minority twisted the arm of the courts to legislate from the bench. It wasn't based on the will of the people.
You are becoming a bigger liar than Finnie. Oh, I take that back, you are even less intelligent than Finnie. No “vocal minority” twisted arms on same sex marriage. The PUBLIC minus bigots favored it.

Here is Pew’s most recent data on same sex marriage published in May of this year.
Quote:
In Pew Research Center polling in 2004, Americans opposed same-sex marriage by a margin of 60% to 31%.

Support for same-sex marriage has steadily grown over the past 15 years. And today, support for same-sex marriage remains near its highest point since Pew Research Center began polling on this issue. Based on polling in 2019, a majority of Americans (61%) support same-sex marriage, while 31% oppose it.
https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...-gay-marriage/
YOU are the minority opposition.

Quote:
Did they really? I wasn't aware there actually was a box on them asking skin color. In any event, that's wrong. It has no basis in Christianity, and I'm sorry that anyone has ever blamed it on Christianity. The Bible certainly doesn't have that restriction.
Quote:
It's widely known that the Deep South (read BIBLE BELT]banned interracial marriages until 1967, but less widely known that many other states did the same (California until 1948, for example)—or that three brazen attempts were made to ban interracial marriages nationally by amending the U.S. Constitution.

In Pace v. Alabama, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously rules that state-level bans on interracial marriage do not violate the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The ruling will hold for more than 80 years.
The plaintiffs, Tony Pace, and Mary Cox, were arrested under Alabama's Section 4189, which read:

"[i]f any white person and any negro, or the descendant of any negro to the third generation, inclusive, though one ancestor of each generation was a white person, intermarry or live in adultery or fornication with each other, each of them must, on conviction, be imprisoned in the penitentiary or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not less than two nor more than seven years."
https://www.thoughtco.com/interracia...ge-laws-721611

Who were the three Congressmen who introduced federal legislation to ban “miscegenation?”
1. Rep. Andrew King (D-MO) proposes a U.S. constitutional amendment banning all marriage between whites and people of color in every state throughout the country. Bible Belt politician.

2. Rep. Seaborn Roddenbery (D-GA) makes a second attempt to revise the U.S. Constitution in order to ban interracial marriage in all 50 states. Bible Belt politician.

3. Sen. Coleman Blease (D-SC), a Ku Klux Klan supporter who had previously served as South Carolina's governor, makes a third and final serious attempt to revise the U.S. Constitution in order to ban interracial marriage in every state. Bible Belt politician.

And fundamentalists who are generally Republicans remain the most racist in the nation regarding miscegenation:
Quote:
Among religious groups, evangelicals remain the most opposed to interracial marriage, according to a poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press (Pew).

Pew's February Political Typology Poll asked people about recent trends in American society. Pew asked if "more people of different races marrying each other" was good or bad society. Overall, only nine percent of Americans said it was bad for society. However, 16 percent of white evangelicals said this, more than twice the opposition found among other Americans (7 percent).
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...ers-among.html
Quote:
Except they are completely different.
YOU remain completely the same. Unwilling to face facts or history and unable to accept that you are a bigoted minority.

How can a Jesus believer ever convince Radical Thinker that God loves him AND his husband as much as He does anyone after you go off on with stupid, biased, statements that have no basis in fact.

Why shouldn’t you and your lying ilk not be compared to Nazi Germany?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity