Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 08:24 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,603 times

Advertisements

The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 08:34 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times

That's nonsense!

Jesus tells us 'it's not what goes into ones body, rather what comes out of it that causes defilement'.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:34 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

I don't care for smoking myself though at one point when I was much younger I did smoke. And I don't like having to inhale second hand smoke. But smoking in and of itself is not a sin just as drinking is not a sin.

You mention respect for life. Too bad that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't extent that to giving blood transfusions which would save a life.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,318,618 times
Quote:

I have to agree again, Hiway! I say it is indeed a sin for exactly the reasons you stated, and not a good witness to others as a Christian.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
If you think it's a sin, don't do it.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:59 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Smoking was common in Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs, so it was known when the Bible was being written. Yet, it wasn't mentioned. So, no, it isn't a sin. However, eating shrimp and wearing cotton polyester blends is, but you all probably ignore that.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:02 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,318,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If you think it's a sin, don't do it.
That sounds similar to what the Apostle James said, the Lords half-brother.

"If you know to do good and do it not, to him it is sin."

I still say Trout is going to be preaching on these forums before it's over.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:02 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I don't care for smoking myself though at one point when I was much younger I did smoke. And I don't like having to inhale second hand smoke. But smoking in and of itself is not a sin just as drinking is not a sin.

You mention respect for life. Too bad that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't extent that to giving blood transfusions which would save a life.
I understand what you're saying about avoiding smoking, and agree that it isn't a sin any more than drinking wine.

He won't address blood transfusions in any meaningful way. He's dodged the truth on that topic in at least two other threads.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:20 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Apostle Paul who was a prophet of God said ``don't you know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God indwells in you? If any man defiles the temple of God, him will God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are ``.1 Corinthians 3;16-17 ............... I remember quitting smoking at the time of my coming to Christ, going cold turkey, and during that time after there was a demon who would blow tobacco smoke in my nose through the spirit as this kind was an unclean spirit........ smoking will attract these evil spirits

Old 06-27-2021, 03:22 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:

If your conscience tells you it is, then it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity