Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 06:16 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,007,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You ignore the mixing of meat and dairy but hold rigidly to the consumption of blood?...

Please explain Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 06:37 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Nothing to correct sir, The apostles were anointed with holy spirit as recorded in the Bible, they were the governing body as seen with the traveling overseer Paul going to them to settle an issue that had came up in the Congregations. They are the ones that stated abstain from blood, and God saw to it that it was recorded in the Bible at Acts 15:29, read it for yourself if you do not believe me.

You are not proposing that God leaves His people without leadership today are you?
You are still just plain wrong. If you want to be taken seriously, please post a link to a credible source that makes it clear that people 2000 years ago knew what transfusions were, how they were done, and what they were for. My reading indicates that hollow needles weren't invented until ~1844, so no injection was possible before then. Why did the Watchtower wait for 100 years to decide that this was so evil that it was OK to let people die over it?

Tell us in your own words (not the Watchtower's words) why you conflate transfusions with the ancient health rule that blood should be drained from meat before it is cooked.

Why did you twist my words to imply that I said God was leaving His people without leadership? I didn't say that. I said there is no anointed governing body for Christians. That is demonstrably true. Baptists don't have to follow Catholic doctrine. Methodists don't follow Presbyterian rules. Lutherans can't even decide among themselves what doctrine is. The Catholics think everybody else is either wrong or beholden to them and the Pope. Nobody's denomination leadership is anointed. Most of them are elected.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-29-2021 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 08:59 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You are still just plain wrong. If you want to be taken seriously, please post a link to a credible source that makes it clear that people 2000 years ago knew what transfusions were, how they were done, and what they were for. My reading indicates that hollow needles weren't invented until ~1844, so no injection was possible before then. Why did the Watchtower wait for 100 years to decide that this was so evil that it was OK to let people die over it?

Tell us in your own words (not the Watchtower's words) why you conflate transfusions with the ancient health rule that blood should be drained from meat before it is cooked.

Why did you twist my words to imply that I said God was leaving His people without leadership? I didn't say that. I said there is no anointed governing body for Christians. That is demonstrably true. Baptists don't have to follow Catholic doctrine. Methodists don't follow Presbyterian rules. Lutherans can't even decide among themselves what doctrine is. The Catholics think everybody else is either wrong or beholden to them and the Pope. Nobody's denomination leadership is anointed. Most of them are elected.
I fear this is pearls before . . . They are using the Bible as the word of God which is the wrong standard and it is full of contradictions, inconsistencies, and outright primitive ignorance. That is why there is so much division and discord. If they used Jesus, THE Word of God, as their standard and subjected whatever is claimed in the Bible to the "mind of Christ" and His unambiguous Holy Spirit of agape love, there would be less dissension.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:14 AM

11,104 posts, read 7,164,275 times
It's not a sin. But it is unhealthy, and should be avoided. Simple as that.

Like many things here, no need to go overboard and write an essay on the subject.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-29-2021 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 09:47 AM

23,162 posts, read 10,455,314 times
I smoke, smoke weed too.

Bout to become a heroin addict next year, and my conscience tells me it's all good.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Smoking was common in Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs, so it was known when the Bible was being written. Yet, it wasn't mentioned. So, no, it isn't a sin. However, eating shrimp and wearing cotton polyester blends is, but you all probably ignore that.
You still haven't figured out the concept of context, huh?

Old 06-29-2021, 12:43 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Smoking was common in Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs, so it was known when the Bible was being written. Yet, it wasn't mentioned. So, no, it isn't a sin. However, eating shrimp and wearing cotton polyester blends is, but you all probably ignore that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
On this particular topic (covenant theology, ceremonial vs. moral law), for some reason mensaguy prefers to wallow in ignorance rather than to educate himself. I've already tried.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:03 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You say the Bible is inerrant and literally true until you need to make a point. Then it's all about context. Or it's parable. Or it's allegorical.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:19 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
You say the Bible is inerrant and literally true until you need to make a point. Then it's all about context. Or it's parable. Or it's allegorical.
It is literal. The Bible is to be understood in the context of which it was written. That's what "literal" means. It's not a hard concept to understand. It's a shame that you either can't, or seem to intentionally refuse to grasp that concept.

Leviticus was written to Jews living in the desert. It was not written to Christians in 2021. This is not complicated.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:10 PM

11,104 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I smoke, smoke weed too.

Bout to become a heroin addict next year, and my conscience tells me it's all good.
Congrats Han! Aim high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity