Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 04:26 PM

732 posts, read 211,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Alcohol was illegal at one time too!

Plus, you have to look at the reasons why Heroin is illegal today...(its NOT due to the health and safety concerns like most people assume)...we know this from the history of drug laws...

Laws on drugs are in place today, to benefit the criminal drug cartels, (without those laws on Heroin), the cartels would be washed up and no market for their product...its also why the govt went after opioid prescription drugs so aggressively, (they were too much competition for Heroin), addicts were going to their doctor or the ER for their fix, (not the corner drug dealer)...that was a problem for the cartels, but thanks to the DEA and govt, Heroin is now the predominant opioid that addicts abuse...(prescription opioids are now simply too difficult to obtain), this was done intentionally to benefit the drug cartels.
Heroin is far more addictive than coke is, meth is up there with heroin. They do have detrimental health effects, i have been around way too much for anyone to pull the wool over my eyes. I'm not trying to hurt your conspiracy about the govt situation, I got my own thoughts too, but I am clarifying that heroin and certain others are terrible for health. A close friend of mine runs a church based mens recovery home and I have private discussions with these men about their problems, prescription and street drugs are the path to a dead end if not dealt with quickly. Your conspiracy claim reminds me of the Iran contra stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 04:36 PM

732 posts, read 211,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
My grandfather smoked cigarettes from the age of 9 until he was 88, that’s 79 years, around 5 packs a day, when he died at the age of 92, his lungs were fine...Smoking did not kill him, he died of natural causes, old age...
I know there are always the exceptions, a man I once knew for most of my life lived around 90 after smoking the majority of his life yet my grandfather killed by it at 59 years old and then my grandmother at 65, both deaths took about a year to finally get them, bed bound and miserable care taking. My great uncle died of drinking, he suffered horrible and I was the last one to talk to him before he departed.

What gets me is some of the most disgusting drunkards will outlive moderate drinkers by 15 or 20 years.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
I can't see how it's a sin. A really bad idea, yes, but not a sin.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:48 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
I know there are always the exceptions, a man I once knew for most of my life lived around 90 after smoking the majority of his life yet my grandfather killed by it at 59 years old and then my grandmother at 65, both deaths took about a year to finally get them, bed bound and miserable care taking. My great uncle died of drinking, he suffered horrible and I was the last one to talk to him before he departed.

What gets me is some of the most disgusting drunkards will outlive moderate drinkers by 15 or 20 years.
The fact is that everyone is born with cancer cells and no one knows yet what activates them in some but not in others...My grandmother was 96 when she passed away of natural causes, old age, and she lived with my grandfather all that time, from about 1941, with him smoking up the house, yet her lungs were perfect...When I applied for life insurance, I received the rats of a non-smoker, yet, I was a very heavy smoker at that time, about a carton and a half a week, I was required to be tested before I reviewed Ed the policy and the tests came back as if I was non smoker...Figure that one out...My ex-father in law, who I got the policy from, was certain that my premium would be higher and was shocked when the test results came back as a non smoker...

Old 07-02-2021, 10:08 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
That's true, but not because we killed them. It's because they would have all renounced Judaism and been baptized into the True Faith.
Jews cant become pagan, and what you are implying is absolutely sick, makes me ill.

You would take a tribe of people and force them to assimilate, Judaism isnt a religion to the Jew, its who they are and what makes them Jews. Its their culture and heritage and way of life.

They cant become lawless pagans to then turn on their own people.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:15 PM

303 posts, read 128,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Jews cant become pagan, and what you are implying is absolutely sick, makes me ill.

You would take a tribe of people and force them to assimilate, Judaism isnt a religion to the Jew, its who they are and what makes them Jews. Its their culture and heritage and way of life.

They cant become lawless pagans to then turn on their own people.
a) Jews can become Christians and many have throughout the ages (nice of you to conflate Christianity and paganism there).
b) Who said anything about forcing anyone to do anything?
c) You are acting like it is uniquely anti-Semitic for Christians to want Jews to convert to Christianity. What was unstated but implied by the previous poster is that any Christian worth his salt would also want all Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Taoists, animists and atheists to embrace Christianity. That is just the way of a proselytizing religion.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:28 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 14

26 And you shall turn that money into whatever your soul desires; cattle, sheep, new wine or old wine, or whatever your soul desires, and you shall eat there before the Lord, your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

NLT

26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the LORD your God and celebrate with your household.

Interesting that G-d had told them to use their tithe to buy wine or other alcoholic drink...G-d must be a sinner according to you...

We do not teach that drinking alcoholic beverages is a sin sir

Old 07-03-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
How do the teetotalers explain Jesus' miracle at Cana where he turned the water into wine?

The master of the banquet's reaction in verses 9-10 (John 2) makes absolutely no sense if Jesus was just making grape juice.

Jesus made wine Mike

Old 07-03-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I "do" think no one should smoke.

1. It is expensive.

2. It can cause cancer and other health ailments.

3. It makes one not a good jogger.

4. It makes one smell.

5. Studies show that most people do not want to date a smoker.

I "do not" think it is a sin to smoke.

If it is a sin to smoke because it can shorten one's life then is it a sin to eat sugar? Is it a sin to not exercise often? Is it a sin to take a job where one is physically idle? Is it a sin to not go to the doctor's office routinely? Is it a sin to not hide out in your house for fear of catching a virus? Is it a sin to drive and eat as studies show that increases the odds of having an accident?

All of those things can "shorten one's life."

Does sugar have a warning label as being a health hazard maam?
1 Tim 4:8
2 Thes 3:10
No
No
Do Christians drive? Of course, so I would not say driving in itself is a sin, however when I drive I sin every time Rom 13:1

Old 07-03-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
In my opinion, smoking cigarettes is sinful...there is no debate or controversy anymore, we know for a fact they kill.

Using something known to kill is basically suicide...(its just done very slowly, over decades), but the result is the same...its KILLING YOURSELF by poison.

Thank you for your input RS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity