Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 08:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
All you Christians trying to decide if smoking is a sin when you have no law.

Eat it today, tomorrow it may cause cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 08:58 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
Don't get so high and mighty about this crime thing, all crime is bad, I never condone any of it, that includes the crime israel has been doing to the Palestinians for years now. They murder helpless children in the streets, old women, the modern day jews keep the Palestinians in a concentration camp not too much different than the nazis. They can't even travel freely to see their own family! So watch what you say. And don't dare throw that ridiculous anti Semitic junk my way. I had a long time relationship with a Jewish- Italian woman and have no problem with any ethic group, only got problems with the bigots of any group.

I will try to convert all the jews I can to Christ. The only salvation is in Christ.
This speaks for itself.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?
I think people are missing the forest for the trees.

Whether its a sin or not smoking kills far more people than people who die from other causes

So JWs and others who refrain from smoking whether its based on doctrine or not have it right.

These numbers aren't speculative or based on emotion but based on science:

Smoking causes:

480,000 deaths per year
41,000 deaths from second hand smoke.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...n%20nonsmokers.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Whether its a sin or not smoking kills far more people than people who die from other causes

So JWs and others who refrain from smoking whether its based on doctrine or not have it right.

Smoking causes:

480,000 deaths per year
What about blood transfusions to save a life? Or, that faulty two-witness rule that victim shames children?
These are not based on speculation, so do you have it right - or is it that you can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:08 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What about blood transfusions to save a life? Or, that faulty two-witness rule that victim shames children?
These are not based on speculation, so do you have it right - or is it that you can't see the forest for the trees.
We all have some things right and wrong .... it is part of ‘humanity’

Hd4me doesn’t strike me as a fundamentalist or extremist

Old 07-04-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Smoking causes:

480,000 deaths per year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
We all have some things right and wrong .... it is part of ‘humanity’

Hd4me doesn’t strike me as a fundamentalist or extremist
So, if he has it right about smoking, would he allow his spouse (wife) or child to have a blood transfusion, if it would save their life? Or, can he not see the forest for the trees?

Old 07-04-2021, 02:05 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,843,028 times
"All things are lawful for me";

So smoking is not a sin;

"But I will not be brought under the power of any"

It is still something to be avoided.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:05 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
I know O.T. is scripture, that is beyond the point. Are you sure you dont drink? I'm starting to think you are poisoning yourself right now with these replies today, a little bit off man. Whats up with this "smack" at the end of these replies? I'm not accustomed to a lot of this.

Old Testament is for our learning on different concepts/principles about human morality, nature of God, prophecies that fuel the fire of proof beyond any doubt for us to be confident, etc. The old worship systems (mosaic & gentile) are out and we got the new and improved worship system. Gal 5:3 gives us the example of Christians going back to Judaism and Paul says that if you make circumcision part of their religion then they are obligated to keep the WHOLE law. Paul was pointing out the hypocritical mentality, so that clearly implies that if you want to reach backwards to some O.T. worship activity then you must reach for it all to remain consistent. Otherwise, just keep with what is authorized by the New.
So, you traded one set of laws for another set of laws...Circumcision was not a sign of the law by the way...

Old 07-04-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Don't get so high and mighty about this crime thing, all crime is bad, I never condone any of it, that includes the crime israel has been doing to the Palestinians for years now. They murder helpless children in the streets, old women, the modern day jews keep the Palestinians in a concentration camp not too much different than the nazis. They can't even travel freely to see their own family! So watch what you say. And don't dare throw that ridiculous anti Semitic junk my way. I had a long time relationship with a Jewish- Italian woman and have no problem with any ethic group, only got problems with the bigots of any group.

I will try to convert all the jews I can to Christ. The only salvation is in Christ.
You sure about the bolded?...

Old 07-04-2021, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You probably have a problem with King David dancing with all his might before the Lord in 2 Samuel 6:14.
2 Samuel 6:14 And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod.
How about
Psalm 149:3 Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp. 4 For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.
The Bible mentions dancing a number of times and not in a condemning way. Read the verses in the link below.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/topi...rshipped%20him.
It was ok then but now it is a sin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity