Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2021, 02:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Drunk, no. But one drink can and does cause a slight effect.

Now, does that support his crazy notion that Jesus and the Disciples were teetotalers? Nah..no way. If anything, they likely had a pretty good tolerance built up because they drank it regularly.
Yes a single drink can affect someone like myself who very seldom drinks. But most people who did I more frequently will not be affected and wine was and is part of Jewish celebrations and even I know that wine is mentioned more than once in the Bible.

My mother's father only drank wine during the Seder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 03:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
Heroin is illegal, opioids are medical use, slight technical difference. I know how you think because I lived a long time using that same reasoning, I dont blame you completely for the side you are on. I've been guilty on many things I've drank and used, all of it I had my reasons which justified no matter what it was. I eventually realized the terrible influence I had on two friends who are dead. I survived but they didn't make it. I failed to submit to Romans 14:21 and 1 Cor. 8:13 and I have the rest of my life to remind myself just how serious influence is on others.

Is it impossible to abstain from drinking for you? I thought I could never quite but I did and I see everything so different now and others would also if they gave up all these bad influences so that they could lead lost sinners to Christ instead of to a bar with a future head on collision possibly killing a helpless family some day.
I barely drink, mostly at home and never more than two drinks in a long evening. I am not a Christain and don't believe in any Gods but would never be in the position to be driving drink and killing a helpless family. It does not take being a JW to control ones self to being responsible.

My late mother in law was of your religion until she lost control of her money and suddenly they were no longer interested in her or perhaps it was because she laid in a hospital bed dying of several fatal diseases plus cancer and wasn't able to go door to door being paralyzed.

Guacamole of using meth or heroin in small amounts made me remember some of the articles in Awake and Watchtower using cartoon views of non members and hard and fast opinions that ignore that most people are not at the far extremes

Old 07-05-2021, 03:02 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Richard, just wondering, why do you hang out with the Christians and you believe none of it?

I don't see you trying to prove Jesus was not the Christ, but you deny Him when someone presents Him.

So why have conversation with us, is there a particular reason for it? Is there something you're looking to find?
Merely trying to get you to think outside the box, think for yourself...What do you think would be the best way to dissolve Judaism?...Murder all the Jews?...That’s been tried numerous times...Outlaw it?...That’s been tried...Water it down?...That’s been tried...Shame?...That’s been tried...Inter-marriage?...That’s been tried...Create an offshoot religion?...That’s been tried a few times, Christianity, Islam, Messianism, but we’re still here and growing, that should tell you something...Historically, Christianity grew into a Gentile religion, very few Jews...This should also tell you something, but you refuse to think...

Old 07-05-2021, 08:46 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What about blood transfusions to save a life? Or, that faulty two-witness rule that victim shames children?
These are not based on speculation, so do you have it right - or is it that you can't see the forest for the trees.
The OP subject was on smoking was it not?'
Why do you and others constantly bring up other issues that aren't related to what people post?

Old 07-05-2021, 09:29 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
I mean, how many pages is somebody gonna get out of,"Is smoking a sin?"

1 page?

Everyone answers with a yes or a no, and it's one page.

If there was ever a thread that needed off topic conversation, this be it.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
"You search the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life & they are they which testify of me....

BUT BUT BUT

You will not come to Me that you may have life."

"You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you’ll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! And here I am, standing right before you, and you aren’t willing to receive from me the life you say you want." -MSG
Rose2Luv

What you quote is John 5:39. However why just stop there? Jesus is not saying that the Scriptures shouldn't be considered. Far from it! Look at the verses that follow. He said the Scriptures (the OT or Hebrew Scriptures) pointed to him.

He made the point when in closing by saying, "if you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe what I say?”-John 5:46-47

Contrast that with how one should approach the Bible...

"Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."-Acts 17:11

You see Rose2Luv those Jews who Jesus mentioned in John Chapter 5 knew the Bible but they lost out because they didn't have faith in what they were reading. Just like people today they wanted what was suitable to their thoughts on the matter and not what would have brought them everlasting life.

It's not enough to know what is in the Bible. You also have to have FAITH. AND NOT BLIND FAITH. That's why you have to understand the thinking of the people at the time, consider other similar Scriptures and understand the history behind what was written. Many can throw a Bible verse out here and there but if they don't believe and/or make proper application... it IS IN VAIN. That was his point.

The problem isn't sticking ones head in the Bible. The problem is how we approach God's Word.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:50 PM

So a person who is Christian and smokes can take two different paths. They can convince themselves that smoking is ok. There is nothing in the Bible that says not to smoke. After all, Tobacco grows naturally, right?

Or, they can understand that when the NT (Christian Greek Scriptures) were written we were given principles to live by rather than laws written in stone. They can reason the Bible also doesn't mention anything about cocaine or heroin or meth which were derived directly or indirectly from plants. But just because those plants grow naturally doesn't mean we should use them in ways that bring harm to us.

One thing though that should really be in the forefront is to separate the practice of smoking or whatever practice x, y, and z from the person. Just my opinion but I think it's really important to take care when using the word sin. I think it puts people on the defensive but it's not meant to. Rather, God's message to us is to think about the choices we make so that we don't harm ourselves or others. It's out of love not to condemn or make us feel bad about ourselves but to keep safe and redeem.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:55 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,319,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Merely trying to get you to think outside the box, think for yourself...What do you think would be the best way to dissolve Judaism?...Murder all the Jews?...That’s been tried numerous times...Outlaw it?...That’s been tried...Water it down?...That’s been tried...Shame?...That’s been tried...Inter-marriage?...That’s been tried...Create an offshoot religion?...That’s been tried a few times, Christianity, Islam, Messianism, but we’re still here and growing, that should tell you something...Historically, Christianity grew into a Gentile religion, very few Jews...This should also tell you something, but you refuse to think...
Well, I do think once in a while. Just a few days ago I was reading the scripture and Paul was speaking of Israel as he quite often does in his epistles. I began to think that the Roman Empire that ruled over Israel is no more, But Israel is still here alive and well, in fact all the great empires that ruled over Israel are no more but Israel is a power in the mid-east.

There is only one explanation, they are indeed God's chosen. He has watched over them and kept them and brought them back as an established nation in 1948. They are the Apple of His eye and will yet be what God intended for them to be, a nation with power and influence in this world, but in a very special way.

The scripture tells us all about Israel, the beginning, the middle, and no end! Very much different that you see it, Richard. But nonetheless wonderful for Israel. They do find their place with God and the world.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
What about blood transfusions to save a life? Or, that faulty two-witness rule that victim shames children?
These are not based on speculation, so do you have it right - or is it that you can't see the forest for the trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
The OP subject was on smoking was it not?

Why do you and others constantly bring up other issues that aren't related to what people post?
Then, why bring up cocaine, heroin or meth?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Then, why bring up cocaine, heroin or meth?
Does it ridicule or call into question any particular branch of Christianity?
There is a difference between wanting to help others and just wanting to shame others because their beliefs aren't your beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity