Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2021, 01:33 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Again, in John 14:26, 16:13, Jesus said that He would send the Holy Spirit who would teach the disciples everything they needed to know and who would also bring to remembrance everything that Jesus said and who would also guide them into all truth.

This gives credence to Peter's writings which had yet to be written.

And Peter gives credence to Paul's writings in 2 Peter 3:15-16; calling them scripture.

And Paul gives credence to the rest of holy scripture in 2 Timothy 3:15-17.

Now I will accept that scripture is everything written; but I would also contend that holy scripture is everything that we find in the confines of the Protestant kjv. That is how history bore out the situation.

Remember that God exists outside of time, in eternity (Isaiah 57:15). And known to Him from the beginning are all of His works (Acts 15:18).

So, from God's perspective, it was already a given that the Bible would be compiled in the form that we have it in today, as a Protestant kjv Bible, even when Jesus was still speaking the words that we find in John 14:26, John 16:13.
Well, you will have all these rationalizations of human thinking and inference to use to explain to God why you misled all those you have managed to convince to believe in your wrathful, vengeful War God instead of the God of agape love revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by His Son! Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 02:01 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well, you will have all these rationalizations of human thinking and inference to use to explain to God why you misled all those you have managed to convince to believe in your wrathful, vengeful War God instead of the God of agape love revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by His Son! Good luck with that.
Likewise, you have good luck with believing in a God that is described by bits and pieces of the holy scriptures that He inspired to be written.

I pray that when you go to the word to read of the Lord in your devotional times, that He will testify to you by His Spirit as concerning every verse that you read, as to whether it is inspired by Him or not.

I believe that because of this prayer, in due time you are going to come to the conclusion that,

2Ti 3:16, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17, That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:47 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Likewise, you have good luck with believing in a God that is described by bits and pieces of the holy scriptures that He inspired to be written.

I pray that when you go to the word to read of the Lord in your devotional times, that He will testify to you by His Spirit as concerning every verse that you read, as to whether it is inspired by Him or not.

I believe that because of this prayer, in due time you are going to come to the conclusion that,

2Ti 3:16, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17, That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Good post.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:55 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Good post.
Thanks.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:46 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Quote:

But when you do not try to determine what is and what is not scripture using the revelations of Jesus, you will fail. For a Christian, Jesus Christ IS God, NOT the Bible. ONLY what is compatible with Him in the Bible is the word of God. You ignore this truth at your own peril.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:31 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
But when you do not try to determine what is and what is not scripture using the revelations of Jesus, you will fail. For a Christian, Jesus Christ IS God, NOT the Bible. ONLY what is compatible with Him in the Bible is the word of God. You ignore this truth at your own peril.
I thought you denied that Jesus is God. Question: Did the pre-incarnate Jesus/the pre-incarnate Word bring all things into existence?

Recognizing the Bible as the word of God does not mean that the Bible is God. To think that it does mean that is very shallow thinking.

Eternal punishment is compatible with Jesus who will judge both the living and the dead. You have a one dimensional view of God.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:56 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I thought you denied that Jesus is God. Question: Did the pre-incarnate Jesus/the pre-incarnate Word bring all things into existence?

Recognizing the Bible as the word of God does not mean that the Bible is God. To think that it does mean that is very shallow thinking.

Eternal punishment is compatible with Jesus who will judge both the living and the dead. You have a one dimensional view of God.
How is eternal punishment compatible with Jesus? Or, any loving Father?

Old 07-18-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How is eternal punishment compatible with Jesus?
Because the essence of eternal punishment is simply being separated from God forever at least in a spiritual sense. It does not imply being boiled in oil, or hung by your fingernails, or sentenced to pushing a boulder uphill forever, or burning in a literal fire, or whatever other tortures you might imagine. It is simply being separated from God in a place that was designed for that purpose.

God gives you your choice. Eternity with him or eternity without him. Jesus is clearly shown in the Bible sending away from his presence the 'unrighteous.'

God is not a tyrant forcing you to be in his presence forever. He gives you your choice---have an eternity with him or an eternity without him.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:26 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
How is eternal punishment compatible with Jesus? Or, any loving Father?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Because the essence of eternal punishment is simply being separated from God forever at least in a spiritual sense. It does not imply being boiled in oil, or hung by your fingernails, or sentenced to pushing a boulder uphill forever, or burning in a literal fire, or whatever other tortures you might imagine. It is simply being separated from God in a place that was designed for that purpose.

God gives you your choice. Eternity with him or eternity without him. Jesus is clearly shown in the Bible sending away from his presence the 'unrighteous.'

God is not a tyrant forcing you to be in his presence forever. He gives you your choice---have an eternity with him or an eternity without him.
Apparently, you correlate believing with that of righteousness? Imagine telling your daughter that, for not believing or being timid/fearful that she will spend all eternity having nothing to do with you. And, you would not call that being a tyrant (harsh or cruel)? You do know, that I do not believe in separation from that which created you, or brought all things into existence, right? My children will never be separated from me, as long as we are alive and well. In addition, he will never forsake anyone, given that he exists. Do you even see, how absurd your beliefs are?

Old 07-18-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Apparently, you correlate believing with that of righteousness? Imagine telling your daughter that, for not believing or being timid/fearful that she will spend all eternity having nothing to do with you. And, you would not call that being a tyrant (harsh or cruel)? You do know, that I do not believe in separation from that which created you, or brought all things into existence, right? My children will never be separated from me, as long as we are alive and well. In addition, he will never forsake anyone, given that he exists. Do you even see, how absurd your beliefs are?
Reality doesn't revolve around you Jerwade. What you personally believe has no bearing on what constitutes reality. You are all about telling people what you do not believe. That seems to be why you hang out on the Christianity forum---to say 'I don't believe this or that. It's absurd.'

As far as 'righteousness' and believing goes, Paul made it clear in Romans chapters 3-5 that it is when a person believes in Jesus that God imputes or credits the very righteousness of Jesus to the one who has trusted in him for salvation. Only when a person has a righteousness equal to that of God can he spend eternity with God. Therefore when a person personally trusts in Christ Jesus for eternal life God credits that person with Jesus' perfect righteousness and he is qualified to spend the eternal future with God.

God has through his written word made the issue clear. Eternity with him or eternity without him, and the deciding factor is whether or not you have personally trusted in Jesus for eternal salvation.

That you find that to be absurd is your problem. Not mine. And that's as far as I'm going with this. I don't care to get into an endless back and forth about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity