Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 04:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
There was a definite rivalry between Gnostics and orthodox Christians in the early times, the orthodox winning out on the canonization of the scripture.

I want to point out that no part of the Bible is self-proving, including 2 Timothy 3:15-17. When that was written, the Bible DID NOT EXIST! Any "Scripture" that Was referenced herein, was in reference to Jewish Scriptures, not the Bible.

Now I think that Paul probably would have LOVED the idea of his writings being equated with scripture, but we must remember that the Bible, even written accounts of the gospel had not been canonized or acceptd as such.

So no, 2 Timothy does not in any way make the Bible the "Word ofgod"

Going to the greek translations, we only see that "All scripture is god inspired" and "Useful" at no point do we see that scripture is exclusive. That eliminates sola scriptura.

And I have mentioned before, read some Buddhist scripture and see that it too is inspired and inspiring. Maybe "ALL" scripture should include that.
Jesus and Paul were proponents of direct God - man communication in spirit, they would not care about printed Bible, may be only as a guide which is is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 09:17 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
There was a definite rivalry between Gnostics and orthodox Christians in the early times, the orthodox winning out on the canonization of the scripture.

I want to point out that no part of the Bible is self-proving, including 2 Timothy 3:15-17. When that was written, the Bible DID NOT EXIST! Any "Scripture" that Was referenced herein, was in reference to Jewish Scriptures, not the Bible.

Now I think that Paul probably would have LOVED the idea of his writings being equated with scripture, but we must remember that the Bible, even written accounts of the gospel had not been canonized or acceptd as such.

Going to the greek translations, we only see that "All scripture is god inspired" and "Useful" at no point do we see that scripture is exclusive. That eliminates sola scriptura.

And I have mentioned before, read some Buddhist scripture and see that it too is inspired and inspiring. Maybe "ALL" scripture should include that.
Act 15:18, Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Including the work that we today call the Protestant kjv of the Holy Bible.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:47 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
Well, unless someone has PROOF that the Bible is the "word of god" ...... and so far, no one has....it remains just a book written by ancients and full of stories, some good, some bad, some interesting some boring, some fluff.

My point remains that this is the 21st Century. We can do better than the Bible. And we should never forget that.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Well, unless someone has PROOF that the Bible is the "word of god" ...... and so far, no one has....it remains just a book written by ancients and full of stories, some good, some bad, some interesting some boring, some fluff.

My point remains that this is the 21st Century. We can do better than the Bible. And we should never forget that.
To be truthful, it remains that to you.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To be truthful, it remains that to you.
There are those who live in a world of reality, while others focus on make believe or 23 minutes in HELL.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:23 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Jesus and Paul were proponents of direct God - man communication in spirit, they would not care about printed Bible, may be only as a guide which is is.
The first act of ministry by Jesus was reading the Scripture from Isaiah.

Luke 4:14-20
14 And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district. 15 And He began teaching in their synagogues and was praised by all.
16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. 17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,

18 “THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,
19 TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.â€

20 And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Act 15:18, Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

Including the work that we today call the Protestant kjv of the Holy Bible.
The King James is a work of men as is religion.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Known unto God are all His works from before the foundation of the world (Acts 15:18). So, it is irrelevant that the Bible did not yet exist. The word of God is a timeless work.

And, because it claims to be the word of God, it is important that you test it to find out whether its claims are true. I believe that the internal evidence (the fulfillment of biblical prophecy) is proof enough. Israel became a nation again in 1948; just as was prophesied in Isaiah 66:8-9. Isaiah mentioned by name the king that would bring back the temple in the old days (Cyrus); 400 years before he began to reign. This is a matter of history. And, there are many other examples like this.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Nope; it is definitely a work of the Holy Spirit; for as I have said, it claims to be; and therefore it is up to you to test its claim.

It has been said that the Bible is the anvil that has worn out many a hammer in human history that have tried to disprove its credibility.

And the fact is, that it has changed many lives in human history and made sinners into saints.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Nope; it is definitely a work of the Holy Spirit; for as I have said, it claims to be; and therefore it is up to you to test its claim.
If you are claiming it is the work of the Holy Spirit, then you are attempting to use the Bible to prove the Bible. Yet, the Scripture have many authors, all of which are men. Therefore, it is not inerrant or infallible. In either case, you have no proof, that it is not the work of men, nor that it is inerrant and infallible.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
If you are claiming it is the work of the Holy Spirit, then you are attempting to use the Bible to prove the Bible. Yet, the Scripture have many authors, all of which are men. Therefore, it is not inerrant or infallible. In either case, you have no proof, that it is not the work of men, nor that it is inerrant and infallible.
I have cited biblical prophecy as being evidence that it is a work of the Holy Spirit. Now, what do you say to that?

The kjv Protestant Bible is infallible as concerning doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity