Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2021, 05:27 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Since neither you nor EscalaMike could answer my question about why we never read about the bread or fruit of the vine being transubstantiated anywhere in Scripture, I will answer for you both.

It’s because it’s nowhere to be found!
- this was answered waaaaay back in post # 30.
And lemme add Genesis 14:18

Now answer post #90, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 09:53 AM

368 posts, read 391,440 times
Quote:
Since you quoted Justin Martyr and Irenaeus, I thought you should also be aware of what other church fathers had to say about the matter. It’s pretty clear that they viewed the bread and fruit of the vine as symbols of Jesus’ Body and blood. The words speak for themselves.
What is pretty clear is that you are not well educated, and that you do not understand the difference between colloquial modern English uses of the word "symbol" and "symbol" as a theological and philosophical term used as a translation of the Greek symbolon/ Latin symbolus. For example, with your limited, English-bound grasp of the word "symbol", how do you make any sense out of the statement that the Apostle's Creed is the oldest Christian symbol?

Old 11-10-2021, 10:15 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
- this was answered waaaaay back in post # 30.
And lemme add Genesis 14:18

Now answer post #90, please.
Post # 30 lists 5 verses.

Jesus spoke the words of these verses BEFORE He shed His blood for the forgiveness of sins. You are saying He offered Himself as a sacrifice the night before He was crucified. You are putting the cart before the horse. The RCC teaching falls flat on its face here.

Nowhere in the New Testament do we read of anyone, including Jesus’ chosen Apostles, transubstantiating. Not even Peter.

Just because the RCC makes the claim that there is an invisible change in the substances of bread and the fruit of the vine doesn’t make it true.

Do you really believe Jesus literally broke His own body at the last supper, then passed it out and told His Apostles to eat it?

Jesus’ words were never meant to be taken literally as a command to eat His body and drink His blood. The command was to eat the bread and drink the fruit of the vine to remember Him. If we are to take Jesus’ words literally, then we must believe that the cup is the New Covenant.

1 Cor 11:25

“This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

Old 11-10-2021, 10:19 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Jesus spoke the words of these verses BEFORE He shed His blood for the forgiveness of sins. You are saying He offered Himself as a sacrifice the night before He was crucified.
Yes.

Quote:
You are putting the cart before the horse. The RCC teaching falls flat on its face here.
No.

Quote:
Nowhere in the New Testament do we read of anyone, including Jesus’ chosen Apostles, transubstantiating. Not even Peter.
So what?

Quote:
Do you really believe Jesus literally broke His own body at the last supper, then passed it out and told His Apostles to eat it?
Yes.

Quote:
The command was to eat the bread and drink the fruit of the vine to remember Him. If we are to take Jesus’ words literally, then we must believe that the cup is the New Covenant.

1 Cor 11:25

“This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
Yes.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
My responses to these would be the same as EscalaMike, above.

Let me ask you this - is is possible to separate Jesus's Word from His body & spirit?
Jesus’ words were a part of Him. His words continue today and forever.
His blood, however, was shed once for all (Hebrews 10:10). Yet the RCC sacrifices Him daily.

In your mind, what is the purpose of communion?

Old 11-10-2021, 10:31 AM

Me: Nowhere in the New Testament do we read of anyone, including Jesus’ chosen Apostles, transubstantiating. Not even Peter.

You: So what.

Your argument just fell apart.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:17 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've never, until here with this thread, heard anyone discuss or question "transubstantiation". So if it isn't a typical subject or question, and isn't mentioned in the Bible, why are we bothering discussing it? That's the question that keeps getting avoided here.
We're discussing it because it is a significant point of doctrine within the Catholic Church, the largest denomination of Christianity, with a membership of some 1.3 billion people. The fact that you haven't ever heard of it before is immaterial. Even though I think the OP was just looking to denigrate Catholicism (something I have little patience for), I find it refreshing to be talking about something that hasn't already been beaten into the ground in a thousand previous threads. We could also talk about the Immaculate Conception, a doctrine you probably have heard of but almost certainly have a misunderstanding of. Even though I don't believe in it any more than I believe in Transubstantiation, at least I know what it is and don't try to suggest that we shouldn't be discussing it because it's "not mentioned in the Bible." Christians believe a lot of things that aren't explicitly spelled out in the Bible, even though most of them won't admit it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-10-2021 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-10-2021, 11:18 AM

1,799 posts, read 561,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've never, until here with this thread, heard anyone discuss or question "transubstantiation". So if it isn't a typical subject or question, and isn't mentioned in the Bible, why are we bothering discussing it? That's the question that keeps getting avoided here.
For the best of all reasons. Someone created a thread on it

Old 11-10-2021, 11:23 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this - is is possible to separate Jesus's Word from His body & spirit?
Quote:
Jesus’ words were a part of Him.
Thanks for responding.

They were a part of Him?
When did they get separated?

Quote:
​His words continue today and forever.
Yes, they do.

Quote:
His blood, however, was shed once for all (Hebrews 10:10).
Yes, it was.

Quote:
Yet the RCC sacrifices Him daily.
Do you not also do the same each time you 'eat His Flesh and drink His blood' as you said in post 86:??
Quote:
Jesus is the bread of life. We eat His flesh and drink His blood when we consume His teachings. teachings. His words are what gives eternal life.

Quote:
In your mind, what is the purpose of communion?
That's a great topic, for another thread - let's stay in focus on this topic/thread.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
What is pretty clear is that you are not well educated, and that you do not understand the difference between colloquial modern English uses of the word "symbol" and "symbol" as a theological and philosophical term used as a translation of the Greek symbolon/ Latin symbolus. For example, with your limited, English-bound grasp of the word "symbol", how do you make any sense out of the statement that the Apostle's Creed is the oldest Christian symbol?
You began your post with an offensive comment. You said it is pretty clear that I am not educated. I stopped reading your post at that point. Is this how you bring people to the Lord? My guess is that you would never say something like this to someone’s face just because they disagree with you. I suppose hiding behind a screen makes you think you can say say whatever you want. I doubt Jesus would approve of your tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity