Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 09:24 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
There are about 25 sextillion air molecules in every breath you take. I am no statistician, but some quick arithmetic suggests that Jesus exhaled with his last breath a few of the air molecules that you just now inhaled. That strikes me as profound.

Much of the blood and tissue of Jesus, even allowing for his bodily resurrection, remains here are on Earth today. Cells die off, and the material is expelled and returned to the life cycle. There can be little doubt that you ingest a small part of what was once Jesus' blood and body whenever you drink and eat.

No miracle is needed to explain how you literally eat and drink Jesus. Eating and drinking is intrinsically sacramental. We do it as a ritual in church to remind us.
When I die, I want to become worm food, and be recycled. That way maybe some generations from now one of my descendants will be able to eat from the nutrients I provided for some plants and animals.

Not in a cannibalistic way as taught by some sects (not just Roman Catholics), but in a real manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 09:33 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskate12 View Post
yes? No?
big no

Old 11-07-2021, 02:31 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
God will use any faith that He can find, as long is it does not stray too far from Him, so rejecting the mystery of God could be a stray

Old 11-07-2021, 04:53 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
You must not have studied very hard - here are TWO...
Yes, I have read these quotes. Here are more from the church fathers, ones you won’t find on a Catholic website. I don’t suppose you have seen these. It is clear that they believed the bread and fruit of the vine to be symbols of the body and blood of Jesus.

Tertullian (160–225)
“Having taken the bread and given it to His disciples, Jesus made it His own body, by saying, ‘This is My body,’ THAT IS, THE SYMBOL OF MY BODY. There could not have been a symbol, however, unless there was first a true body. An empty thing or phantom is incapable of a symbol. He likewise, when mentioning the cup and making the new covenant to be sealed ‘in His blood,’ affirms the reality of His body. For no blood can belong to a body that is not a body of flesh” (Against Marcion, 4.40).

The Didache
10:4 Thou, Almighty Master, didst create all things for Thy name's sake, and didst give food and drink unto men for enjoyment, that they might render thanks to Thee;
10:5 but didst bestow upon us SPIRITUAL FOOD AND DRINK. and eternal life through Thy Son.

Clement of Alexandria
“The Scripture, accordingly, has named wine THE SYMBOL OF THE SACRED BLOOD ” (The Instructor, 2.2).

Origen
“WE HAVE A SYMBOL OF GRATITUDE TO GOD IN THE BREAD WHICH WE CALL THE EUCHARIST” (Against Celsus, 8.57).

Cyprian (200–258)
“I marvel much whence this practice has arisen, that in some places, contrary to Evangelical and Apostolic discipline, water is offered in the Cup of the Lord, WHICH ALONE CANNOT REPRESENT THE BLOOD OF CHRIST” (Epistle 63.7).

Eusebius of Caesarea*(263–340)*
“For with the wine which WHICH WAS INDEED A SYMBOL OF HIS BLOOD, He cleanses them that are baptized into His death, and believe on His blood, of their old sins, washing them away and purifying their old garments and vesture, so that they, ransomed by the precious blood of the divine spiritual grapes, and with the wine from this vine, "put off the old man with his deeds, and put on the new man which is renewed into knowledge in the image of Him that created him.". . . He gave to His disciples, when He said, "Take, drink; this is my blood that is shed for you for the remission of sins: this do in remembrance of me." And, "His teeth are white as milk," show the brightness and purity of the sacramental food. For again, HE GAVE HIMSELF THE SYMBOLS of His divine dispensation to His disciples, when He bade them make the likeness of His own Body. For since He no more was to take pleasure in bloody sacrifices, or those ordained by Moses in the slaughter of animals of various kinds, and WAS TO GIVE THEM BREAD TO USE AS THE SYMBOL OF HIS BODY, He taught the purity and brightness of such food by saying, “And his teeth are white as milk” (Demonstratia Evangelica, 8.1.76–80).

Augustine (354–430)
“Understand spiritually what I said; you are not to eat this body which you see; nor to drink that blood which they who will crucify me shall pour forth. . . . Although it is needful that this be visibly celebrated, yet it must be SPIRITUALLY UNDERSTOOD” (Exposition of the Psalms, 99.8).

“He committed and delivered to His disciples THE FIGURE [or symbol] of His Body and Blood.” (Exposition of the Psalms, 3.1).

Old 11-07-2021, 10:46 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Being that it's Sunday, I think it's a good time to take a break in debating , and instead contemplate on what it is that we should be 'remembering' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9qCsIPzNo

Old 11-07-2021, 12:06 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Being that it's Sunday, I think it's a good time to take a break in debating , and instead contemplate on what it is that we should be 'remembering' :
Tried to rep you, but I guess it's too soon. That was a beautiful video!

Now, I'd like to share a musical rendition of an LDS hymn based on the words Jesus said to His Apostles at the Last Supper, as performed by Gladys Knight and her "Be One" choir.

Love One Another

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-07-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9qCsIPzNo
I agree. We can pick this up tomorrow. We had our study first this morning, then our worship following the study. We had a fellowship dinner and then a second service. It was such an uplifting day. I hope yours was too.

Beautiful video. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by MissKate12; 11-07-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Now, I'd like to share a musical rendition of an LDS hymn based on the words Jesus said to His Apostles at the Last Supper, as performed by Gladys Knight and her "Be One" choir.

Love One Another
Beautiful!

Old 11-07-2021, 01:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Some people like their bread, buttered smooth. Others prefer is sugar coated.
Then, there are those who want their bread of life, plain or slightly toasted.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:10 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Love One Another
- thanks for posting! Beautiful! - and Ms. Knight has some amazing pipes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity