Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times

Advertisements

Seattle is compleatly adiobatic . Spent 10 days there visiting my sister . After the first few days I felt so distant and alone .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM

591 posts, read 820,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Seattle is compleatly adiobatic . Spent 10 days there visiting my sister . After the first few days I felt so distant and alone .
Honestly man that sounds like a personal problem.
Your sister should have introduced you to her friends or something.
Did you expect to be able to wander the streets and generate friendships out of thin air?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Before my responses get scrutinized, I love Seattle. I really do. But I believe in giving credit where credit is due. There are many categories where Seattle is better and many where Dallas is better. The problem is that people always labor under a false pretense of Dallas due to stereotypes, but Seattle is a beloved on CD. Dallas has a stigma that it always has to overvome from people who dont know the city or because it sprawls quite a lot. Seattle has no stigma to overcome.
I'm pretty sure your comment is not directed at me, but for the record, I just left Dallas a year ago after living there for 15 years. With that said, it's true, people tend to state their opinion on a city without ever having visited it. One of the things I hate about this forum, lots of opinions from people who have spent little or no time somewhere, but have all sorts of information they want to spew.

It's no secret, after living in Texas (Dallas, Austin, and El Paso) over the course of 17 years, I don't have many nice things to say about it. But I'll defend Wildcat here. One of the things that has made me hesitant about moving to Seattle or Portland for that matter, is the lack of attractive woman. It is absolutely amazing the lack of beautiful woman there. Maybe it's because none of them wear make up and wear lots of outdoor gear and hoodies due to the drizzle. I don't know, but that is one of the biggest knocks against Seattle for me. Seattle Pros: Great food, great scenery, great weather. Cons: Unattractive woman. Distant people. The Seattle Freeze is very real.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:17 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm pretty sure your comment is not directed at me, but for the record, I just left Dallas a year ago after living there for 15 years. With that said, it's true, people tend to state their opinion on a city without ever having visited it. One of the things I hate about this forum, lots of opinions from people who have spent little or no time somewhere, but have all sorts of information they want to spew.

It's no secret, after living in Texas (Dallas, Austin, and El Paso) over the course of 17 years, I don't have many nice things to say about it. But I'll defend Wildcat here. One of the things that has made me hesitant about moving to Seattle or Portland for that matter, is the lack of attractive woman. It is absolutely amazing the lack of beautiful woman there. Maybe it's because none of them wear make up and wear lots of outdoor gear and hoodies due to the drizzle. I don't know, but that is one of the biggest knocks against Seattle for me. Seattle Pros: Great food, great scenery, great weather. Cons: Unattractive woman. Distant people. The Seattle Freeze is very real.
Even the weather is iffy. Summers are great, but the Winters...yikes. When it stays cloudy here in Atlanta for 4-5 days in a row, I hate it.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:

That comment wasnt directed at you, but I did object to the idea that Seattle is more diverse than Dallas as you mentioned early. Frankly, it isnt. There is no metric where Seattle outdoes Dallas in ethnic diversity unless youre talking only about Asians. Overall, its Dallas on the issue of diversity.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
-COL-Dallas
-Food-Dallas
-weather-Dallas
-architecture-Seattle
-diversity-Dallas
-sports culture-Dallas
-scenery-Seattle
-outdoors activity-Seattle
-shopping-Dallas
-transit-Dallas

I pick Dallas. Mountains and the ocean are great, but I'd rather have a larger city with a much more diverse population.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,389 times
Lived in Dallas for six years now live in Seattle.
Col- Dallas
Weather- Summer Seattle rest of the year Dallas by a hair
Food- Quantity Dallas quality seattle both are very good
Education- Seattle
Economy- Dallas
Architecture- Seattle
Diversity- Dallas (really not that close)
Sports culture- if we're taking in the actual city seattle if just the area Dallas
Scenery- Seattle by far
Outdoor activities- Seattle
Shopping- Dallas
Traffic- Seattle simply because I knew all the alternative routes like the back of my hand in Dallas
Transit- ???
Overall- Seattle but perfectly at home in Dallas

Side note- I agree with the other posters who say in terms of women Dallas by a massive landslide

Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 PM

172 posts, read 291,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thai, perhaps so. Vietnamese? DFW has the 4th largest Vietnamese community in the US. Larger and older than in Seattle. I know Seattle has great Vietnamese food too. Both are top notch. Ethiopian is a wash. Both are good, though the African population is much larger in Dallas overall.

Ill stand by what I said. Ethnic food on the whole has more variety in Dallas.
According to this, the Ethiopian population is larger in Seattle than Dallas (not just percentage-wise but absolute numbers).

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/sites...D-Ethiopia.pdf

Old 01-28-2015, 05:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
According to this, the Ethiopian population is larger in Seattle than Dallas (not just percentage-wise but absolute numbers).

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/sites...D-Ethiopia.pdf
It very well could be, but the foreign born African population in Dallas is a lot larger than Seattle.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Distant people. The Seattle Freeze is very real.
Perhaps that was your own personal experience, but I lived in Seattle nearly 5 years and never had that issue, nor did I find the general populace to be "distant" or "cold". No more so than any other large city I've lived in, at least.

This "Seattle Freeze" thing seems to just be yet another C-D group-think phenomenon. Or maybe I'm just cold and distant, and fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City