Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Well lets see here:

So lets break it down here.

Seattle is only more Asian statistically than Utica, where im from in Upstate NY. Ill do Dallas later.

You might not want to assume next time because itll save yourself from looking like a jackass.

Upstate NY is much much more diverse than you realize and is NOT entirely John Deeres and hicks whatsoever.

Utica has the largest refugee center in the Northeast, and is arguably among the most diverse cities of its size.

Move along.
Lets try a more accurate comparison between the three shall we?

Dallas is so much more diverse than Utica on every level its not funny. By metro area Seattle is too by a long shot.

Here you go. First by metro area:

Non-Hispanic White:
Dallas: 48.9%
Seattle: 66.3%
Utica: 86.1%

Black:
Dallas: 14.9%
Seattle: 5.5%
Utica: 4.7%

Asian:
Seattle: 12%
Dallas: 5.7%
Utica: 2.7%

Hispanic:
Dallas: 28%
Seattle: 9%
Utica: 4.5%

Now just by city:

Non-Hispanic White:
Seattle: 66%
Utica: 60.8%
Dallas: 29.4%

Black:
Dallas: 25.6%
Utica: 20.6%
Seattle: 6.8%

Asian:
Seattle: 13.9%
Utica: 8.6%
Dallas: 3%

Hispanic:
Dallas: 44.8%
Utica: 11.3%

So thats the data.

I suppose you could make the argument that if you isolate the cities and leave the suburbs out that Utica is more diverse than Seattle. Its still nowhere near as diverse as Dallas.

By metro area, Utica isn't diverse at all. Seattle and especially Dallas are far more diverse. This data shows not only that but also just how much more diverse Dallas is that Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 03:32 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Seattle, which is more progressive.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 PM

251 posts, read 307,704 times
Uhhhhh who is talking about metros for one when the subject is cities and also where is your link for this data?

Old 02-01-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Uhhhhh who is talking about metros for one when the subject is cities and also where is your link for this data?
Its awful naive to think that you can gain useful perspective by looking at just the city and not the area. You have to look at the metro area or urban area to gain true perspective of what any place truly is. Given that you live in such a small town it may not be obvious to you but to those of us that live in large places, not including the suburbs in any study is absolutely absurd.

American fact finder (aka the census estimates per year). Knock yourself out:

American FactFinder - Search

Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Its awful naive to think that you can gain useful perspective by looking at just the city and not the area. You have to look at the metro area or urban area to gain true perspective of what any place truly is. Given that you live in such a small town it may not be obvious to you but to those of us that live in large places, not including the suburbs in any study is absolutely absurd.

American fact finder (aka the census estimates per year). Knock yourself out:

American FactFinder - Search

1) The thread criteria is for the city, I know the metro makes your stats look better but..

2) Given that I've lived in NYC and NJ for the last several years and recently moved back Upstate, and that ive traveled quite extensively, I think I know a thing or two about cities and metros. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Your entire assumption about Upstate NY is ****ing shot as well. Nice attempt I guess.

It's very diverse bud, but hey it's nothing but 8 million backwoods folk.

Have some reading material for your bathroom break.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/11...referrer=&_r=0

Probably came out of HS knowing more languages than you did.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Your entire assumption about Upstate NY is ****ing shot as well. Nice attempt I guess.

It's very diverse bud, but hey it's nothing but 8 million backwoods folk.

Have some reading material for your bathroom break.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/11...referrer=&_r=0

Probably came out of HS knowing more languages than you did.
My data? Ha. Its the census.

Stats don't lie. People do.

A NY times article doesn't override data. No one said there was no diversity in Upstate New York, but you said Upstate NY was more diverse than Dallas or Seattle. You're trying to compare a small town like Utica to Seattle and Dallas both major cities. Thats not exactly apples to apples.

Yes metro area comparisons are better. Otherwise, Boston and Louisville are roughly the same size. Atlanta and Colorado Springs are roughly the same size. Certainly you can understand how stupid that sounds?

I also said:

"I suppose you could make the argument that if you isolate the cities and leave the suburbs out that Utica is more diverse than Seattle. Its still nowhere near as diverse as Dallas."

So make your argument that its more diverse than Seattle by city proper only. Again, its nowhere close to Dallas. Once you acknowledge that, then well talk. You claimed it was more diverse than Dallas and it is NOT.

Also, I grew up in Los Angeles. I promise I came out of high school with a more multicultural group of friends than anyone in Utica. Im an Arab man married to an Thai woman. That doesn't mean that I think there is no diversity in Utica or that everyone drives a tractor. Its nowhere near as diverse as Dallas as you claimed. Period.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM

I'm using 2010 census data. Where are your links?

If you're comparing demographics, using city data is totally acceptable.

This thread is based on Seattle city and Dallas city. No? Stick to city.

You promise? I came out as the only Italian American among my group of friends. The rest were either Hispanic, Black or Asian. Bosnian to Russian to Vietnamese to Burmese to Puerto Rican. I know bits and pieces to probably 10 languages and over 40 in my school district alone. Not bad for bum**** Upstate NY huh?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:23 PM

157 posts, read 192,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Lets try a more accurate comparison between the three shall we?

Dallas is so much more diverse than Utica on every level its not funny. By metro area Seattle is too by a long shot.

Here you go. First by metro area:

Non-Hispanic White:
Dallas: 48.9%
Seattle: 66.3%
Utica: 86.1%

Black:
Dallas: 14.9%
Seattle: 5.5%
Utica: 4.7%

Asian:
Seattle: 12%
Dallas: 5.7%
Utica: 2.7%

Hispanic:
Dallas: 28%
Seattle: 9%
Utica: 4.5%

Now just by city:

Non-Hispanic White:
Seattle: 66%
Utica: 60.8%
Dallas: 29.4%

Black:
Dallas: 25.6%
Utica: 20.6%

Asian:
Seattle: 13.9%
Utica: 8.6%
Dallas: 3%

Hispanic:
Dallas: 44.8%
Utica: 11.3%

So thats the data.

I suppose you could make the argument that if you isolate the cities and leave the suburbs out that Utica is more diverse than Seattle. Its still nowhere near as diverse as Dallas.

By metro area, Utica isn't diverse at all. Seattle and especially Dallas are far more diverse. This data shows not only that but also just how much more diverse Dallas is that Seattle.
Was someone actually arguing that Seattle is more diverse, in any respect, than DFW? Now that's funny! It reminds of this guy I worked with in Boulder who said that Colorado is the most diverse place imaginable....

Old 02-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'm using 2010 census data. Where are your links?

If you're comparing demographics, using city data is totally acceptable.

This thread is based on Seattle city and Dallas city. No? Stick to city.

You promise? I came out as the only Italian American among my group of friends. The rest were either Hispanic, Black or Asian. Bosnian to Russian to Vietnamese to Burmese to Puerto Rican. I know bits and pieces to probably 10 languages and over 40 in my school district alone. Not bad for bum**** Upstate NY huh?
I gave you a link. I've already given the data that shows I'm correct as well as the link to it. The numbers are from the ACS 2013. The ACS is part of the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City