Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM

391 posts, read 453,776 times

Advertisements

Seattle peope are very weird. The whole passive aggressive vibe is very real. People think they are progressive, in reality they are obnoxious jerks who only "tolerant and accepting" if u think like them. Whoever says the freeze is not real is either a local who dont kno no better or a transplant whos part of the problem. This is the main drawback of Seattle, overcast weather is not even that bad, although it might be partially responsible for these semi bipolar dummies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 AM

251 posts, read 307,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Haha, that must be a joke.

Upstate NY is no where near as diverse as either Dallas or Seattle. Once you get outside of the NYC area, there is nothing in NY thats as diverse as Dallas or Seattle statistically. Period.

Well lets see here:

Quote:
Utica, NY - As of the 2010 census, the racial makeup of the city was 69.0% White, 15.3% African American, 0.3% Native American, 7.4% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 3.9% from other races, and 4.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.5% of the population.

According to the 2010 census, Seattle had a population of 608,660 and the racial and ethnic composition was as follows:

White: 69.5% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 66.3%)
Asian: 13.8% (4.1% Chinese, 2.6% Filipino, 2.2% Vietnamese, 1.3% Japanese, 1.1% Korean, 0.8% Indian, 0.3% Cambodian, 0.3% Laotian, 0.2% Pakistanis, 0.2% Indonesian, 0.2% Thai)
Black or African American: 7.9%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 6.6% (4.1% Mexican, 0.3% Puerto Rican, 0.2% Guatemalan, 0.2% Salvadoran, 0.2% Cuban)
American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.4%
Other race: 2.4%
Two or more races: 5.1%

So lets break it down here.

Quote:
Seattle is 69.5% White, Utica (Upstate NY) is 69% White.

Seattle is 13.8% Asian, Utica is 7.4% Asian.

Seattle is 7.9% Black, Utica is 15.3% Black.

Seattle is 6.6% Hispanic, Utica is 10.5% Hispanic.

Seattle is 2.4% from other races, 5.1% two or more races (7.5%), Utica is 3.9% from other races, 4.0% two or more races (7.9%)
Seattle is only more Asian statistically than Utica, where im from in Upstate NY. Ill do Dallas later.

You might not want to assume next time because itll save yourself from looking like a jackass.

Upstate NY is much much more diverse than you realize and is NOT entirely John Deeres and hicks whatsoever.

Utica has the largest refugee center in the Northeast, and is arguably among the most diverse cities of its size.

Move along.

Last edited by misterfart; 02-01-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 10:32 AM

157 posts, read 192,200 times
Seattle, and its not even close. Food, drivers, public services, weather, and almost anything else you can think of goes to Seattle. The only category that DFW wins is in COL... BUT, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM

560 posts, read 667,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForAChange View Post
Seattle, and its not even close. Food, drivers, public services, weather, and almost anything else you can think of goes to Seattle. The only category that DFW wins is in COL... BUT, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
I prefer Seattle too but drivers? This city has the worst drivers I've ever experienced.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Quote:
Dallas is better. Better shopping, bigger economy, better food and culture and better looking women as well as more amenities.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
I prefer Seattle too but drivers? This city has the worst drivers I've ever experienced.
Umm, have you driven in DFW? No one uses their turn signals when changes lanes or turning, most people speed, there's a higher concentration of people who like to tailgate for no apparent reason, DFW is consistently near the top when it comes to vehicular homicides and traffic accidents. DFW is the absolute worst driving city I've ever been in followed by San Diego.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Umm, have you driven in DFW? No one uses their turn signals when changes lanes or turning, most people speed, there's a higher concentration of people who like to tailgate for no apparent reason, DFW is consistently near the top when it comes to vehicular homicides and traffic accidents. DFW is the absolute worst driving city I've ever been in followed by San Diego.
Yes, I've driven in DFW. I've driven in most major US cities before. And I've lived in (and driven regularly in) LA, ATL, and Denver. When we talk about US cities and driving, we're talking about varying degrees of terrible. But Seattle has the worst drivers I've encountered so far.

Bad drivers in Seattle? Here?s proof - Puget Sound Business Journal

Old 02-01-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've driven in DFW. I've driven in most major US cities before. And I've lived in (and driven regularly in) LA, ATL, and Denver. When we talk about US cities and driving, we're talking about varying degrees of terrible. But Seattle has the worst drivers I've encountered so far.

Bad drivers in Seattle? Here?s proof - Puget Sound Business Journal
Hell on wheels: The state with America's worst drivers revealed | Daily Mail Online

Drivers in 9 Dallas area cities among state's worst in insurance study | Dallas Morning News

Study Says America's Worst Drivers Live in Philly, Dallas and LA | Fox News

You'd be hard pressed to find a credible source that can back up the claim that Seattle has the worst drivers with facts and numbers.

As far as worst driving cities Dallas always ranks near the top and has the numbers to show for it. The only people I knew that didn't consider DFW drivers terrible were the people who like to drive like that themselves. The main complaint I hear from people who think Seattle drivers are poor is that they drive too slowly.... It's like no, they don't drive slowly, there's just more of them that actually drive the speed limit as apposed to speeding, cutting people off, not using their turn signal, tailgating etc....

Don't get me wrong, there are boneheads on the road in every city I've driven in. It's just DFW seems to be more saturated with them than most.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Hell on wheels: The state with America's worst drivers revealed | Daily Mail Online

Drivers in 9 Dallas area cities among state's worst in insurance study | Dallas Morning News

Study Says America's Worst Drivers Live in Philly, Dallas and LA | Fox News

You'd be hard pressed to find a credible source that can back up the claim that Seattle has the worst drivers with facts and numbers.

As far as worst driving cities Dallas always ranks near the top and has the numbers to show for it. The only people I knew that didn't consider DFW drivers terrible were the people who like to drive like that themselves. The main complaint I hear from people who think Seattle drivers are poor is that they drive too slowly.... It's like no, they don't drive slowly, there's just more of them that actually drive the speed limit as apposed to speeding, cutting people off, not using their turn signal, tailgating etc....

Don't get me wrong, there are boneheads on the road in every city I've driven in. It's just DFW seems to be more saturated with them than most.
How is the Allstate study that's been going on for over 10 years now not valid but your posted "studies" are?

I never said Dallas drivers were good. Never said anything close to that. What I said was Seattle drivers are the worst I've ever encountered. And I used a comprehensive study to back up my anecdotal evidence.

In fact, 2 of your links refer to the EXACT same Allstate study which places Seattle near the bottom. Dallas doesn't fair any better but you really shouldn't post links without investigating them for yourself. Your first link has to do with states, not cities. Your second link declares DFW as being one of the worst places to drive IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. And your 3rd link, which also refers to the Allstate report that I posted, rates Seattle just as bad as Dallas.

Now maybe you've never heard people describe Seattle drivers as bad but Seattle generally places near the bottom in all studies of worst drivers and, anecdotally, I can confirm that they stink behind the wheel.

According to the study we both posted, Seattle and Dallas rank 173 and 174, respectively. That's out of 200. So both close to the bottom. How is it Dallas drivers are horrible in your estimation but I'm off base with my assertion about Seattle?

Last edited by paris-on-ponce; 02-01-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
How is the Allstate study that's been going on for over 10 years now not valid but your posted "studies" are?

I never said Dallas drivers were good. Never said anything close to that. What I said was Seattle drivers are the worst I've ever encountered. And I used a comprehensive study to back up my anecdotal evidence.

In fact, 2 of your links refer to the EXACT same Allstate study which places Seattle near the bottom. Dallas doesn't fair any better but you really shouldn't post links without investigating them for yourself. Your first link has to do with states, not cities. Your second link declares DFW as being one of the worst places to drive IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. And your 3rd link, which also refers to the Allstate report that I posted, rates Seattle just as bad as Dallas.

Now maybe you've never heard people describe Seattle drivers as bad but Seattle generally places near the bottom in all studies of worst drivers and, anecdotally, I can confirm that they stink behind the wheel.

According to the study we both posted, Seattle and Dallas rank 173 and 174, respectively. That's out of 200. So both close to the bottom. How is it Dallas drivers are horrible in your estimation but I'm off base with my assertion about Seattle?
OK, so what I should have clarified for you is that drivers in DFW have less etiquette and less adherence to traffic laws than most other cities. And AllState is only one insurance company, they don't speak for the entire nation. DFW is amongst the leading cities in traffic fatalities, which result from their bad driving, not little fender benders like other cities such as Seattle, which have wetter conditions more often than DFW. More accidents, in and of itself doesn't mean worse drivers, you have to take into account population density, weather, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City