Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
San Jose 9 9.89%
Sacramento 27 29.67%
Long Beach 30 32.97%
Oakland 25 27.47%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It's relevant because it means saving time for residents. It's a total hassle to have to go to LAX and SFO.
Thank you!

NorCal is smarter in having Oakland, San Jose and Sacramento carry a lot of SFO's load. NorCal airports are located where the population centers are as well.

SoCal relies too much on LAX for both international and domestic. If they let Orange County, Ontario, and Burbank expand then more folks would use those airports and lighten the load on LAX.....and/or SoCal needs to build another medium to larger airport not only to lighten LAX's load but because they have friggin 20 million people.

San Diego needs another airport to lighten the load and even reduce the flights out of Lindbergh Field as it has only 1 runway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
By the way, as much as I like Long Beach airport because it is small, efficient, attractive, super easy to park, rent a car, all that....and it is closer to more of SoCal as far as southern LA county, and Orange County is concerned....

We still used LAX the last time in LA, and we used the Flyaway Bus to downtown LA(Union Station).

I recommend it because it is:

1) Very inexpensive
2) A very nice bus
3) The bus flys by traffic because of dedicated (HOV) lanes in the freeway.

4) The bus drivers are good drivers; they know how to get through LAX fast

5) They take the 105(Century Frwy) to the Harbor Frwy(110) to get downtown. They wrap around downtown via the 101(Hollywood Frwy), exit commercial street to Union Station.

6) The Flyaway Bus beats the green line(light rail), and beats Uber and other taxies.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:29 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
And your right, SMF has the best terminal of the bunch. Its gorgeous and huge.

SJs new one is very cool too tho.

Oakland is working on it. Lol.

Long Beach is obsolete.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:28 AM

661 posts, read 691,132 times
Quote:
Haha careful the truth will come out? Sac's walkable areas are some secret? Get real, I lived in Sacramento for 3 years and I liked the place but its not more walkable or more vibrant overall than Oakland, actually it's not close.
You stated that Midtown was boring outside of J Street. J Street? Plenty of other spots and the epicenter of Midtown has probably been 18th and L for years now. I've spent my whole life in the Bay either part time or full time, I've lived in Oakland for years. I know more about your city than you do mine, I guarantee it. I love Oakland, it has a piece of my heart always.

Quote:
Actually the Fruitvale district is far more walkable and vibrant than Land Park anf East Sac. Have you ever been? There is nothing like that in Sac.

But thats not all. Rockridge, Lakeshore, Grand, Montclair, Piedmont Av, are all upscale walkable areas that honestly dont have like areas in Sacramento.
Those are all great neighborhoods. Fruitvale is indeed more vibrant than East Sac or Land Park, hands down. I'd rather walk around East Sac or Land Park though, unless I was craving some great Mexican or asian food. And if we're talking outside of the four blocks around Fruitvale Station I'd definitely rather be walking around in East Sac or Land Park vs. East Oakland. Rockridge with it's trees and more pleasant environment is eminently more walkable to me, even if less dense.

Quote:
Im not even sure what your trying to argue.
Your post listing highly rated walkscore neighborhoods was disingenuous and designed to inflate Oakland. San Jose has zero walkable neighborhoods and Long Beach & Sac two compared to Oakland's dozens? C'mon, it's insulting to Long Beach, San Jose, and Sac that you would even pretend that they have hardly any walkable areas. That's what I was stating and you know it, you just wanted to drag it off into tangents like the insufferable poster you are. I'm always slightly ashamed that you jock the Bay so hard on these forums, it gives it a bad look.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:57 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
You stated that Midtown was boring outside of J Street. J Street? Plenty of other spots and the epicenter of Midtown has probably been 18th and L for years now. I've spent my whole life in the Bay either part time or full time, I've lived in Oakland for years. I know more about your city than you do mine, I guarantee it. I love Oakland, it has a piece of my heart always.

Those are all great neighborhoods. Fruitvale is indeed more vibrant than East Sac or Land Park, hands down. I'd rather walk around East Sac or Land Park though, unless I was craving some great Mexican or asian food. And if we're talking outside of the four blocks around Fruitvale Station I'd definitely rather be walking around in East Sac or Land Park vs. East Oakland. Rockridge with it's trees and more pleasant environment is eminently more walkable to me, even if less dense.

Your post listing highly rated walkscore neighborhoods was disingenuous and designed to inflate Oakland. San Jose has zero walkable neighborhoods and Long Beach & Sac two compared to Oakland's dozens? C'mon, it's insulting to Long Beach, San Jose, and Sac that you would even pretend that they have hardly any walkable areas. That's what I was stating and you know it, you just wanted to drag it off into tangents like the insufferable poster you are. I'm always slightly ashamed that you jock the Bay so hard on these forums, it gives it a bad look.
Haha why do people resort to 8th grade immaturity instead of just sticking to the topic? Im embarrased for you. Cringe.

Long Beach ranks 10th so thats good for them but San Jose and Sacramento are much less walkable overall because of their layout and era when development occurred.

Oakland is also more contiguously densely populated over a wider area and that naturally is more condusive of greater pedestrian vibrancy.

Btw, the only places in the west with a larger 10,000+ cluster than Oakland are LA and SF so...

My pic.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:44 PM

522 posts, read 737,207 times
So far Oakland and Sacramento are tied with Long Beach one vote ahead and San Jose in a very distant last place. WHO WILL WIN lol I'm bored.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:42 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
San Diego needs another airport to lighten the load and even reduce the flights out of Lindbergh Field as it has only 1 runway!
They do but there's no where to put it. They did open a bridge that connects San Diego directly to the TJ Airport terminal so that might take some of the load off for flights to Mexico, Oakland, and Shanghai (?).

Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 PM

So does anyone like about else about these cities that aren't completely dependent on the number of airports?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Considering them just as stand-alone cities, I voted Sacramento. It holds its own as its own city much better. It's more well-rounded, though probably not a stand-out in most categories.

Restaurants: Tie
Young People: Oakland
Mass Transit/Transportation: Oakland/Sac
Economy: Sac/SJ
Suburbs: Oak
Stadiums: SJ
Downtowns: Sac
Diversity: Sac
Nightlife: Sac
Safety: SJ/LBC (by the coast)
Education: SJ
Cost of living: Sac
Climate/weather: LBC

Like I said, even I can admit they're all better at some things than others. Every category on here is up for debate. But I think Sac provides a better overall package. It's its own city with its own economy not dependent on another city. Its downtown is the main downtown of the region. It's a very diverse city with a strong economy. And COL hands down can't be beat compared to the rest of the options.

As stand-alone cities, I would rank these:
  1. Sacramento
  2. Oakland
  3. Long Beach
  4. San Jose

Oakland has long been its own city with its own identity. LBC is quite far from the actual urban core of LA, and it is a major world port with its own airport, downtown, beaches, etc. San Jose, no matter what people want to say, is more a massive suburb of SF than a real city. Yes, it has a downtown and an airport and sports teams, but the culture of the Bay Area is pervasive. Whereas Oakland has its own distinct identity from the rest of the Bay Area through its history and demographics (similar to LBC), SJ does not. Just my opinion, and I know someone will disagree. But hey, that's what these forums are for!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 PM

It's crazy that so many people consider the largest city in Northern Cali to be a suburb of SF...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City