Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 09:45 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It might be Boston's closest analogy (I don't actually know), but from anything I can see on YouTube and Google Maps, it is seriously very dissimilar from Brooklyn. Even if you think demographically it is similar, the huge gap in built environment is going to have a real impact on how people live, commute, socialize, etc. to the extent that even from a cultural perspective, it's going to be a stretch. Philadelphia's No. Libs./Riverwards area is a much better analogy (of course imperfect, but much closer than Dorchester).
Dorhcetse has sevreal train stops. Idk what that has to do with comuting patterns then

It also can't be understated that Boston is even wealthier than NYC on a per capita basis and a household basis. it also cant be understood that both of those cities are the only major east coast cities with over 10% Asian. Philly being solidly plurality black definitely makes it dissimilar to some degree.

Dorchester :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shyxwgK9_pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvapDj0Vm14&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmh3tOH2cdQ&t

Walkups: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3065...7i16384!8i8192

ROwhomes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3015...7i16384!8i8192

(Very Brooklyn) https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3076...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 09:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dorhcetse has sevreal train stops. Idk what that has to do with comuting patterns then

It also can't be understated that Boston is even wealthier than NYC on a per capita basis and a household basis. it also cant be understood that both of those cities are the only major east coast cities with over 10% Asian. Philly being solidly plurality black definitely makes it dissimilar to some degree.

Dorchester :
[my cut to save space]
All of the detached housing with relatively generous parking space is what gave me that idea. But hey, either way its just one bit of the puzzle that makes Dorchester so different from Brooklyn.

I'm not sure if your point is that there are some comparisons be made between NYC and Boston, or that the two are actually more similar than are NYC and Philadelphia.

Sure some raw numbers can be construed to make Boston/NYC more similar, but from a lifestyle/built environment/vibrancy/on-the-ground measure, it is almost inarguable that Philly is more similar. Again, what makes one city more similar to another is partly subjective, but I am surprised this is a hill you want to die on, lol. It's really not a knock at Boston, rather recognizing that Boston is a very unique city in itself. One of my friends from NYC said that Boston reminds them of D.C. in regards to boring/full-of-itself attitude, to which I vehemently disagreed. Boston is way more interesting than my neighbor to the south.

If I had to mix cities to get a city, I'd say Philadelphia is like 1 part Boston, 1 part NYC, 1 part Baltimore, 1 part uniquely itself.

If I had to mix cities to get Boston, I'd say Boston is like 3 parts uniquely itself, 3 parts Philadelphia, 1-2 parts SF and .5-1 part NYC. Idk, I'm bad at math, but I hope it makes sense. Philly, proportionally, has a higher percent of NYC.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
All of the detached housing with relatively generous parking space is what gave me that idea. But hey, either way its just one bit of the puzzle that makes Dorchester so different from Brooklyn.

I'm not sure if your point is that there are some comparisons be made between NYC and Boston, or that the two are actually more similar than are NYC and Philadelphia.

Sure some raw numbers can be construed to make Boston/NYC more similar, but from a lifestyle/built environment/vibrancy/on-the-ground measure, it is almost inarguable that Philly is more similar. Again, what makes one city more similar to another is partly subjective, but I am surprised this is a hill you want to die on, lol. It's really not a knock at Boston, rather recognizing that Boston is a very unique city in itself. One of my friends from NYC said that Boston reminds them of D.C. in regards to boring/full-of-itself attitude, to which I vehemently disagreed. Boston is way more interesting than my neighbor to the south.

If I had to mix cities to get a city, I'd say Philadelphia is like 1 part Boston, 1 part NYC, 1 part Baltimore, 1 part uniquely itself.

If I had to mix cities to get Boston, I'd say Boston is like 3 parts uniquely itself, 3 parts Philadelphia, 1-2 parts SF and .5-1 part NYC. Idk, I'm bad at math, but I hope it makes sense. Philly, proportionally, has a higher percent of NYC.
Idk i think Philly is a little more similar in feel/built environment to NYC but Boston economically and culturally and especially demographically i more similar to NYC. Its way more NYC-like than Philly-like. And more NYC like than SF like for suuuuure.

Dorchester density is around 19,000 people per square mile. So it's definitely not undense but the southern part is ((where your dot ave video started) but then again parts of Brooklyn ar elike that..... Many residential streets are pretty super difficult to find parking on in dorchester.

Im not taking it as a knock on Boston but I think your perception is just off in some area. Boston is VERY unique.

Philly has a lot of Baltimore, more so than it does New York. The vibe isjust to grungy and 'domestic' if that makes sense. Much of Philly isnt all that vibrant because its so heavily blighted/abandoned.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:15 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Philly has a lot of Baltimore, more so than it does New York. The vibe isjust to grungy and 'domestic' if that makes sense. Much of Philly isnt all that vibrant because its so heavily blighted/abandoned.
Sorry, BBMM, but I think you're just stereotyping now.

There's certainly parallels between Baltimore and Philly, but there's so much more that isn't parallel. It's much more nuanced than that.

I could also argue that Boston is generally heavily micro-managed as a city/metro, which significantly cuts down on vibrancy. It's puritanical roots are very much glaring to this day in comparison to Quaker Philadelphia, which is generally much more "anything goes" in a vein similar to NYC.

Boston has many great vibes, but never do they scream "NYC."

Old 08-21-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Idk i think Philly is a little more similar in feel/built environment to NYC but Boston economically and culturally and especially demographically i more similar to NYC. Its way more NYC-like than Philly-like. And more NYC like than SF like for suuuuure.

Dorchester density is around 19,000 people per square mile. So it's definitely not undense but the southern part is ((where your dot ave video started) but then again parts of Brooklyn ar elike that..... Many residential streets are pretty super difficult to find parking on in dorchester.

Im not taking it as a knock on Boston but I think your perception is just off in some area. Boston is VERY unique.

I can agree to the socioeconomic and immigrant number similarities. But I think the reality of on-the-ground experience makes Philadelphia way more similar to NYC than Boston. But hey, we may have to agree to disagree.

I am surprised you said that about the Philly-Baltimore disproportionate connection, because I know you like Philly and have visited more than once, and I believe you lived in Baltimore? My partner moved to Baltimore for grad school so I have been spending lots of time in Baltimore in the last year.

A lot of Baltimore feels like parts of North Philly, and to a lesser degree, some of South Philly. But, our downtowns are so drastically different, that there is really no comparison. My partner lives right in Downtown/Inner Harbor area, and I am still getting used to the very different mindset I need to have while traversing Downtown Baltimore vs. Center City Philadelphia. That, and nothing in Baltimore compares to Riverwards, University City/Cedar Park area, nor any of Northwest Philly. The idea that Philadelphia and Baltimore are nearly twins, in my mind, comes from people that think the two cities are but entirely blocks and blocks of narrow rows. And, Philadelphia is way more cosmopolitan than you are giving it credit for. The whole city ain't Kingsessing and Lower Moyamensing for cryin' out loud, lol. I thought you were more familiar with both to say that.

Anyways, I digress.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

There's certainly parallels between Baltimore and Philly, but there's so much more that isn't parallel. It's much more nuanced than that.

I could also argue that Boston is generally heavily micro-managed as a city/metro, which significantly cuts down on vibrancy. It's puritanical roots are very much glaring to this day in comparison to Quaker Philadelphia, which is generally much more "anything goes" in a vain similar to NYC.

As always, wish I could rep you more Duderino.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:25 AM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
PA/NY/NJ form their own distinct cultural region as the Mid Atlantic states.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

I could also argue that Boston is generally heavily micro-managed as a city/metro, which significantly cuts down on vibrancy. It's puritanical roots are very much glaring to this day in comparison to Quaker Philadelphia, which is generally much more "anything goes" in a vein similar to NYC.

Stereotyping what. Philly has difference but it way more similar to Baltimore than New York on well- everything.

Downtown Baltimore and Downtown Philly are very different b it in CD we focus way too much on downtown and suburban areas an not what comprises the bulk of the principal city. It never fails.

The downplay of Phillys rust belt vibe is heavy here..

Old 08-21-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Stereotyping what. Philly has difference but it way more similar to Baltimore than New York on well- everything.
What...? Please explain how Center City, Philadelphia is way more similar to Downtown Baltimore than it is Manhattan.

Edit to your edit: Center City is the economic/cultural/lifestyle/literally everything hub of our city. It is extremely important to us. This ain't like sayin' we focus too much on downtown Phoenix, lol.

Old 08-21-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
What...? Please explain how Center City, Philadelphia is way more similar to Downtown Baltimore than it is Manhattan.

Edit to your edit: Center City is the economic/cultural/lifestyle/literally everything hub of our city. It is extremely important to us. This ain't like sayin' we focus too much on downtown Phoenix, lol.
Your wayyyy to focused on downtown. You really are. It’s a tiny part of the city. And its fundamentally unlike Manhattan because of the narrow streets. A lot fewer bridges and tunnels and soooooooo much cheaper. More in the Baltimore RE market and honestly downtown Baltimore has the wider streets and feels more like what I image Manhattan to be circa 1980. Nothing in center city gives me NYC vibes if anything it’s more like Boston..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City