Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 PM

76 posts, read 235,689 times

Advertisements

Northerner: "Cold is great because ___"
Southerner: "Warm is great because ___"
And so on and so on.
My goodness. Substance people, substance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Give me a break my man. Just because you live in an old industrial city does not mean you have to live in the ghetto. There are plenty of nice older neighborhoods to live in that are clean and well maintained. There are also brand new areas to be found with "new identical strip malls on every corner, new cookie-cutter homes, and well-maintained roads" if that is your thing.
Who said anything about a ghetto? Have you ever been to the Rust Belt. That describes regular, working-class neighborhoods, as well.

I just know that the cookie cutter sprawl that so many people on the forum abhor is where I prefer to live.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
translation = I'm narrow minded and my way is the only way of thinking. Anybody with different tastes is crazy because I'm close minded.

Awesome...... great way to put it....

Of Course people are gonna like different types of weather, climate, enviornment..... Just because he doesn't like Cold weather... doesn't mean everybody is crazy for liking a little variation lol.... so true

Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Who said anything about a ghetto? Have you ever been to the Rust Belt. That describes regular, working-class neighborhoods, as well.

I just know that the cookie cutter sprawl that so many people on the forum abhor is where I prefer to live.
Your exact words were "Old, ugly homes, broken infrastructure, and decaying factories?". Sounds like you described a rough area to me. I grew up in pretty much the epicenter of the rust belt and I assure you most neighborhoods that are middle class or better are not like this. Whether someone considers a home ugly or not is personal preference.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:51 PM

17 posts, read 48,709 times
I have lived in both extreme cold and in very hot climates. I prefer warm/tropical, but I know people that like it the other way around. If you prefer winter sports..a prerequisite is winter..I'm a water bug and prefer tropical climates. I was a lousy skier anyway :-)...never could get good at skiing on packed powder (ice). Cross country and Snow Catting is fun..but I would rather snorkel every weekend and go to the cold a a few days a year than the other way around. I guess that's why there are 187 different salad dressings...to each his/her own.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 AM

105 posts, read 373,819 times
This might be the best quote Ive ever read on this forum. Hilarious, had me laughing out loud for a good minute or two...

Secondly, what you described sounds like a rap video and not reality. Why are you posting on this stupid forum in the first place if you have beautiful bikini-clad women applying sunscreen and serving you Southern BBQ, poolside?

Guess he must be chillaxin, bro...

Old 04-07-2009, 07:12 AM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
jj, while those northerners are cooped up inside their houses doing nothing but over-eating and studying, southererns are barbecuing, chillaxin by the pool, enjoying the sun with some fine ladies, etc. I'll take the southern lifestyle thank you very much!
Relaxing by the pool in winter? Only if you're in the Florida keys, and that's a big "if".

It gets cold here in the south. This winter has been the coldest in ten years. Here in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, we had a number of days where the low temps were down in the single digits and teens. We at least had 20 days where the temperature didn't break 40 degrees. We had around 40 days where the temperature didn't break 50 degrees.

It's not exactly warm in much of the South. It's warmer, in saying that it's not 20 degrees for a high, but instead is 45 degrees for a high, but it's still not warm, such as you'll find in South Florida with temps around 65-75 degrees for a high during late January or February.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, Southerners are typically way fatter than people in the North.
Well, it depends on what area of the north. People in Pennsylvania and Ohio are about as fat as us southerners.

Southern cooking, with its emphasis on fried food, has a lot to do with southern obesity.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why don't you attend one of the vast array of institutions of higher education in the South? Could it possibly be because even down there a degree from literally any college in the North is still more respected than a degree from Ole Miss or LSU?
What's wrong with Ole Miss or LSU?

Literally any college up north? LOL

You do realize that we do have Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Duke, Emory, as well as many other institutions which "blow the socks off" of Wisconsin, Illinois or whatever random school that you put forth. Sure, there are some high end universities up north, but so there are also such down south.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
unless we're talking about thick evergreen bushes and trees, don't you hate the "dead" look of everything in winter as all life is basically suspended and plant growth grows dormant? walking around in lush environments with creepy crawlers and birds chirping has a great effect on the experience one has. in the north (chicago anyway), the end of october through march is pretty much "dead time." i guess it makes spring time more exciting when i see things like robins returning and bushes starting to bud.
Looking out my window, here in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, here on April 7, the trees appear mostly bare, with some early budding and growth. However, it's not lush by any means. The only trees that are completely out are the "pear trees" that people purchase from a place like Home Depot and plant theirselves.

In Atlanta, it's pretty much "dead time" from mid November to the end of March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City