Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 AM

353 posts, read 816,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Sorry if I am not cooperating here and playing "follow the leader". I do not care what someone in Ibiza thinks or what they have heard of. I much prefer the nightlife of LA, New Orleans, Houston and San Diego (for sunbelt cities) and many Northern cities as well, over South Beach. I do not give in no matter how many people attempt to "shout me down" over the internet because they live vicariously through celebrity and model opinions on nightlife and I do not conform to this opinion. I did not find South Beach to be all that... sue me
your opinion is fine but you saying this means nothing, South Beach has world class nightlife that is comparable to that of London, Madrid, LA, and New York

stop comparing it with New Orleans or Houston or San Diego, there is nothing about those 3 cities that make it stand out as having "world class nightlife"... they might be good at one particular genre or maybe 2 but not much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:51 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
your opinion is fine but you saying this means nothing, South Beach has world class nightlife that is comparable to that of London, Madrid, LA, and New York

stop comparing it with New Orleans or Houston or San Diego, there is nothing about those 3 cities that make it stand out as having "world class nightlife"... they might be good at one particular genre or maybe 2 but not much more.
EEERRRR! pump the brakes. New Orleans nightlife is always ranked at the top in the country. Many times it is the best. Personally I would say that it is better than Miami's. I would lay that it is better than LA's, and I would say that it's better than New York's. I would say it's better than the A. Sorry... I have not been to Europe, but I have been to those cities. New Orleans is just good at parting. I know it's smaller than those, but you got to give credit where credit is due. It may not be your cup of tea, but if you've been there you can see why some people may feel like that is it for them.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:24 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
A persons opinion doesn't validate anything... Both New Orleans and Miami have good nightlife... But I think that miami nightlife is more well known than NO and
Jami offers a wide variety of night life that caters to all genres of people.. Not to mention the scene around the night life.. I do see why Miami would be the best in nightlife catergory

Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 PM

^^^^^
Your right it is about opinions and preference, but New Orleans if def. well know and its in the same league with other bigger cities. I don't see how another city can be more well know for nightlife than NO... when the NO is known for nightlife. Miami has more of a latin vibe to me and the beach was off the chain. The NO is more Jazz, Blues, and hip-hop. I can see Miami being number one, as well as NY, Vegas, NO, and maybe LA (the closing hours kill me)...

My point is although its small the NO is world class and can be considered #1. As far as the rest of the south. Houston is tough. Atlanta is tough. and so is Austin and Savannah. The south is spring break central so the nightlife here is crazy anyway. So domestically houston has some tough competition.
Itn'l I would say either NO or Miami...
just a little assistance from polls to back me up...
America's Favorite Cities 2009 - Categories - Nightlife - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/category/12 - broken link)

Old 02-14-2010, 04:15 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Let's not downplay New Orleans one bit. The world knows of Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street and the famous architecture that surrounds that area. It is very much known like South Beach.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
No one is not trying to downplay NO.. Miami just is a better atmosphere for nightlife just threw my experience Miami seems to have better nightlife.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:10 PM

In your opinion right. Cause it can go either way.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
In your opinion right. Cause it can go either way.
I agree. Miami the city has nothing that compares to the French Quarter. South Beach is a different story and again, they are about on the same level. That's me though.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Ybor City in Tampa sort of reminds me of a mini French Quarter in many ways. Tampa is a BIG party city, but it's a Tier B compared to the likes of Miami and New Orleans in the South.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let's not downplay New Orleans one bit. The world knows of Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street and the famous architecture that surrounds that area. It is very much known like South Beach.
I agree Bourbon street is world famous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City