Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM

42,860 posts, read 26,322,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The prosecution will still have to fully prove the second-degree depraved heart murder against Goodson, and just because the one van, that Goodson was not driving, had that sign does not prove squat against Goodson as far as that particular charge against him.

There is even video during the second stop, which Goodson probably didn't realize he was being filmed, that shows Goodson pulling and driving away with no high speeds or jerky motions. His driving in that film shows normal take off, normal merging and normal speeds--that tape will probably be used by the defense.
Please take the time to read this which states in part: "Medical examiners found a significant injury to the lower left part of his head, which most likely occurred somewhere between the second and fourth stops, and possibly before the third, The Sun said, citing the autopsy."

Freddie Gray's rough ride may have caused death: autopsy - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:36 PM

23,727 posts, read 12,594,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Please take the time to read this which states in part: "Medical examiners found a significant injury to the lower left part of his head, which most likely occurred somewhere between the second and fourth stops, and possibly before the third, The Sun said, citing the autopsy."

Freddie Gray's rough ride may have caused death: autopsy - NY Daily News
Been there, read that. The prosecutions still has to prove that Goodson did it with intent and malice.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 939,304 times
Rough rides have been going on for more than 100 years, and they didn't start in the U.S.

I remember hearing the grown ups talk one evening when I was little. "Whatever you do, don't get into that paddy wagon!" They laughed when they said it but there was something off about the laughter. I meant to ask them later what a paddy wagon was but I forgot. Glad it's coming to light now.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Been there, read that. The prosecutions still has to prove that Goodson did it with intent and malice.
You didn't read what I posted or you wouldn't have posted this:

Quote:
There is even video during the second stop, which Goodson probably didn't realize he was being filmed, that shows Goodson pulling and driving away with no high speeds or jerky motions. His driving in that film shows normal take off, normal merging and normal speeds--that tape will probably be used by the defense..
Because once you read this Freddie Gray's rough ride may have caused death: autopsy - NY Daily News[/quote] You would understand that his condition during the second stop means NOTHING.

And I agree that the prosecution has to prove their case which is why I have suggested more than once that we just wait and see how it turns out. It just amazes me that at this point there are people who continue to contrive some some scenario in which Freddie Gray either injured himself it was just an 'accident'. I wouldn't blame friends and relatives of the cops involved in this trying that approach, but you don't have a dog in this fight- why play the contrarian?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Rough rides have been going on for more than 100 years, and they didn't start in the U.S.

I remember hearing the grown ups talk one evening when I was little. "Whatever you do, don't get into that paddy wagon!" They laughed when they said it but there was something off about the laughter. I meant to ask them later what a paddy wagon was but I forgot. Glad it's coming to light now.
It sure has been going on for a long time, and in most parts of the US. It's been done in California for at least the past 40 years. It was called "screen test" and involved rapid acceleration followed by slamming on the brakes hard enough that the handcuffed arrestee's face slammed against the steel mesh separating the front from the rear seat in the patrol car.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You didn't read what I posted or you wouldn't have posted this:

Because once you read this Freddie Gray's rough ride may have caused death: autopsy - NY Daily News You would understand that his condition during the second stop means NOTHING.
I did read what you'd posted but is is obvious that you failed to read what I had posted. My post, that you were referring to in the above post of yours, contained nothing about the condition of FG before, during or after that stop, in fact that particular post had absolutely nothing to do with his condition. Instead my post was about the video showing Goodson pulling away from that stop while driving at normal conditions, which would probably be used by his lawyer in his defense (basically to set a precedent on how Goodson drives). To comment further on it--the van was in the oncoming traffic lanes, as Goodson was pulling out he didn't peel out to get to the correct side of the street, or rev it up after he got to the correct side of the street, he didn't jerk the wheel as he was pulling into the correct side of the street, or while he was driving on the correct side of the street, he didn't slam on the brakes at any time. The video showed that he drove at a normal and consistent manner as he left that stop and while he was driving away.

Quote:
And I agree that the prosecution has to prove their case which is why I have suggested more than once that we just wait and see how it turns out. It just amazes me that at this point there are people who continue to contrive some some scenario in which Freddie Gray either injured himself it was just an 'accident'. I wouldn't blame friends and relatives of the cops involved in this trying that approach, but you don't have a dog in this fight- why play the contrarian?
It amazes me that there are people who are flippantly claiming without a doubt that Goodson gave FG a rough ride when there are no hard facts proving that he had done so. Rather then based on fact their claims are based on nothing but past actions by other officers. If the prosecution can prove, or can't prove, that Goodson gave FG a rough ride then we will know.

There is not a single post of mine where I'd ever mentioned that FG either injured himself or it was just an accident, I wasn't there so I don't know. I had at first mentioned that I thought he'd been injured before the arrest, though not as serious of an injury that he finally ended up with, and that something happened in the van that compounded that injury that did lead to how he finally ended up. I will add this last part at this time though...the second passenger who'd claimed FG was bashing himself around, then changed his story when talking to the media--the cops have him on tape saying that FG was bashing himself around and yelling, and the defense lawyers are going to bring that tape up during the trial.

As for 'not having a dog in this fight and why play the contrarian' the same could be said about you, yet here you are posting. The answer to that is people have their own opinions and they have a right to discuss them on boards such as this. If you don't/won't/can't understand that then I dunno what to tell you.

My opinions..
Should some or all of the cops be charged? - Yes.
Should some or all of the cops be charged to the degree that they had been? - No.
Should the cops get a fair trial? Absolutely.
Has Mosby's antics hindered the cops in getting a fair trial? More than likely.
Did Mosby lie, and, use misdirections/cover ups? Yes.
Did Mosby rush to charge to stop the rioting? Yes.
Is Mosby using this case for her own agenda? Absolutely.
Does Mosby care about the truth in this case? It doesn't appear that she does.
Does Mosby suck at being a SA? Absolutely.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I did read what you'd posted but is is obvious that you failed to read what I had posted. My post, that you were referring to in the above post of yours, contained nothing about the condition of FG before, during or after that stop, in fact that particular post had absolutely nothing to do with his condition. Instead my post was about the video showing Goodson pulling away from that stop while driving at normal conditions, which would probably be used by his lawyer in his defense (basically to set a precedent on how Goodson drives). To comment further on it--the van was in the oncoming traffic lanes, as Goodson was pulling out he didn't peel out to get to the correct side of the street, or rev it up after he got to the correct side of the street, he didn't jerk the wheel as he was pulling into the correct side of the street, or while he was driving on the correct side of the street, he didn't slam on the brakes at any time. The video showed that he drove at a normal and consistent manner as he left that stop and while he was driving away.
There is no video of the entire van ride. Claiming that Goodson was driving normally at some point does not mean he did so during the entire trip. My guess is that someone involved in this is going to spill his/her guts and then we will actually know. Until then all we can do is make somewhat educated guesses and I do respect the time you have spent researching this.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
There is no video of the entire van ride. Claiming that Goodson was driving normally at some point does not mean he did so during the entire trip. My guess is that someone involved in this is going to spill his/her guts and then we will actually know. Until then all we can do is make somewhat educated guesses and I do respect the time you have spent researching this.
No the video doesn't show the 'entire' ride, just a portion of it, that Goodson may have not been aware was being taped. During that portion Goodson was driving normally even though while he was pulling out he was driving towards oncoming traffic and still drove without gunning it or rapidly slewing the vehicle into the proper lanes--that may be a point the defense lawyers will use to show a precedent of careful driving (if they do bring it up, and they probably will).

I don't know if anyone will spill their guts. So far, as the media had recently reported, they all have been standing firm.

Yeah, until more facts are released all we can do is research what is already out there and go off of that info. I also respect your researches on this topic.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:44 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,127,980 times
Quote:
It sure has been going on for a long time, and in most parts of the US. It's been done in California for at least the past 40 years. It was called "screen test" and involved rapid acceleration followed by slamming on the brakes hard enough that the handcuffed arrestee's face slammed against the steel mesh separating the front from the rear seat in the patrol car.
Back in the 80s and 90s Army MPs called this a "brake check"; turning quickly to the left or right and bouncing off the curb was called a "curb check". This kind of stuff happened and I am certain still occurs in P.D.s everywhere; the German polizei was considerably rougher.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times
Quote:
But even if there are no other cases, if I were a juror I would think that those 6 along with millions paid out for other police abuse incidents, the sign inside of a Baltimore transport van, and Baltimore cops coming forward to talk about the abuse clearly demonstrates a culture of police brutality in Baltimore.
Which is fine in a civil case, but probably inadmissible in a criminal case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events