Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 02:26 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
But they won't feel terrible because for them, it's all about money and attention and I very much doubt Stephen Colbert has much of a conscience.

I think the headline was also, maybe mainly, speaking to the online and social media users, who invented all kinds of nonsense and passed it along to others, and made mean and hateful comments on social media. It's also the followers we have to blame, because the Stephen Colbert's would not have a platform if millions of people didn't follow him and watch his shows.

Blaming the show creators and writers and media sources is a little like blaming McDonald's because we're fat. Both McDonald's and Colbert's writers and himself, and all other media, do the same thing, give their customers what they want. It's up to individuals to reject it as unhealthy. But a lot of social media users and followers love the dirt. Look how many hundreds of millions followed Amber Heard and Johnny Depp's trial. I don't get it personally, but both the content creators and content consumers share the blame for where we are in terms of social media behavior and content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 02:29 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I know quite a few women who had breast cancer in their 30's and they survived and are doing well today in their 40's. No idea if it will come back or what but not all cancer is a death sentence.
I'm one of them (although I'm older than 40s, actually). Because of my own history, I know lots of long-time survivors who beat all sorts of cancers including prostate, cervical, uterine, esophageal, colon, lung, melanoma, leukemia, and lymphoma.

Of course there are some really tough cancers that are still hard to beat, including pancreatic, ovarian, and many brain tumors. But by no means is "cancer" always a death sentence.

Old 03-23-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm one of them (although I'm older than 40s, actually). Because of my own history, I know lots of long-time survivors who beat all sorts of cancers including prostate, cervical, uterine, esophageal, colon, lung, melanoma, leukemia, and lymphoma.

Of course there are some really tough cancers that are still hard to beat, including pancreatic, ovarian, and many brain tumors. But by no means is "cancer" always a death sentence.

No, no reason at all to think she won't make a full recovery. It doesn't help though that she's so skinny to begin with. Most people lose weight during cancer treatment because it makes you feel very nauseous. When my brother had Hodgkins at 25 and ws undergoing treatment, even back then in the mid-70's, his doctor told him smoking pot would ease those symptoms, but he didn't like it. I can't see the Royal Family doing that, but it would probably help if they would.

I know she wants privacy, but as time goes on, I think she could do a lot for others undergoing cancer treatment, by sharing her experiences, even just by making an appearance with a head scarf if she loses her hair down the road.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:12 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No, no reason at all to think she won't make a full recovery. It doesn't help though that she's so skinny to begin with. Most people lose weight during cancer treatment because it makes you feel very nauseous. When my brother had Hodgkins at 25 and ws undergoing treatment, even back then in the mid-70's, his doctor told him smoking pot would ease those symptoms, but he didn't like it. I can't see the Royal Family doing that, but it would probably help if they would.
They have medicine for that now, too. I lost weight before I had chemo, actually, partly because I was so anxious and also because I made a concerted effort to change my diet. When I started chemo, I had gone down from 130 lb to 120 in a month. But I did not lose any more weight from that point on because they included an anti-nausea agent in the infusions. I never threw up, never was unable to eat--actually, I was quite hungry though not everything tasted good. I discovered that savory foods like meat and cheese were much more appealing at that time than fruit or sweets.

Quote:
I know she wants privacy, but as time goes on, I think she could do a lot for others undergoing cancer treatment, by sharing her experiences, even just by making an appearance with a head scarf if she loses her hair down the road.
Completely agree. I had a wig myself, but it was very different from my natural hair so it was obvious to anyone who knew me that it was a wig. I think it's important to show people that life goes on even if you have cancer or are undergoing treatments.

And I also agree with the poster who said it's not helpful when people overreact when they hear of someone else's cancer diagnosis, get all emotional or teary and act like their friend/relative must be dying. Positive thinking is so important.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They have medicine for that now, too. I lost weight before I had chemo, actually, partly because I was so anxious and also because I made a concerted effort to change my diet. When I started chemo, I had gone down from 130 lb to 120 in a month. But I did not lose any more weight from that point on because they included an anti-nausea agent in the infusions. I never threw up, never was unable to eat--actually, I was quite hungry though not everything tasted good. I discovered that savory foods like meat and cheese were much more appealing at that time than fruit or sweets.

Completely agree. I had a wig myself, but it was very different from my natural hair so it was obvious to anyone who knew me that it was a wig. I think it's important to show people that life goes on even if you have cancer or are undergoing treatments.

And I also agree with the poster who said it's not helpful when people overreact when they hear of someone else's cancer diagnosis, get all emotional or teary and act like their friend/relative must be dying. Positive thinking is so important.

Thanks for that info, I didn't know that they had that drug.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:34 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
She answered that. She said they had not fully explained it to their children yet. You’re not gonna come on TV in and put out something publicly before your own children know. Those kids are old enough to read, and once she comes out publicly there’s going to be all kinds of stories speculating if she’ll die, etc.
When and how to explain it to children is difficult. PM me for some horror stories I've posted. I don't want to "bump" the link. You know, TOS.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Yep. Unfortunately. It's way more serious than they're letting on I think.
I agree. She's just begun chemo, and still has her signature full head of beautiful healthy hair. It's not the chemo making her look so ill.

I think we've all had friends who have done "preventative" chemo, and they have a lot of hope and enthusiasm, because it's not really a big deal, and they're expected to fully recover.

I think her statement was meant to echo what they've told the children. Which is likely a very very positive spin on the truth.

She's a lovely woman. Prayers she fully heals.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:40 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that they had that drug.
There's more than one. Zofran happened to get FDA approval while I was going through chemo. It worked by acting on the brain, not the GI tract. It was only available by infusion and the effects did wear off before a chemo session's nausea did. I could create a second dose mixing it with something very strong flavored. Intended for infusions, the stuff tasted horrible. A single dose was terribly expensive, so insurance didn't cover the cost for use every day. Once I started using it nausea was no longer a problem.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:42 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It isn't necessarily a "fear" of sharing or stigma, it's often an attempt to spare others who might become unhinged hearing the news. The person sharing such an unwelcome surprise can end up needing to support the person they just told because they can't handle themselves. Let's face it...it IS terrible news! There's also a fear of being turned into a pitiable victim by those who will write them off as a doomed lost cause. Some people who hear personal news like this start hovering over the person's bedside, wringing their hands like the angel of death. Their pity gets distorted into something obsessive and dark.
I've been on the receiving end, see When Should a Parent Tell Their Offspring That Other Parent is Fatally Ill? and the sharer sometimes has more of a problem than the shared to.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:27 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Saw this and thought y'all would enjoy it!
Really funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events