Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Yes, I know. Still not feeling it. As I said, Fuzzy's is pretty bad weird tacos and Pizzeria Venti lasted all of a few months. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but how about some shade trees, benches, landscaping, a fountain, a bistro with a patio, a decent Chinese, etc., etc. Someplace where you could stroll.

I love Lakewood too, but I think we can do better up there than an IHop and a dollar store.
Fuzzy's does good business despite the mediocre tacos. Pizza Venti was disgusting. I really wanted to like it. But I just couldn't. Yuck!

I think you will see some better tenants come in soon. The shopping center with the Tom Thumb at Mockingbird and Abrams is great. But part of the appeal of Lakewood is that it isn't too big for its britches. Fuzzys and Venti have decent patios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Ha - a Lakewood Elem/Woodrow/SMU friend was at the HP Village Mi Cocina the other night and 'checked-in' on Facebook. She was laughing about how everyone was showboating and what a fashion show it was. Somebody posted, "tell them to keep out of Lakewood" and it prompted some lively comments!
She should try the Lake Highlands or Forest/Preston MiCocina. Neither is like that at all. You might say the neighborhood creates the scene it becomes.

My husband and I sat on the balcony at Marquee a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night. Let's just say it was nothing but culture shock for us coming from East Dallas. We had fun making snippy comments to each other, though.

And I have to agree with Ramona all the way. I tried all those places...but drive farther for better.... Although I do really like the guys at Kindred Spirits.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
New Lakewood MiCocina to be ‘Austin hangout’ vs. ‘Park Cities cafe’ | Advocate Magazine

Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Hmmm... Austin, eh. Fun hippie Austin or obnoxious a$$hole UT fan frat party Austin?

I will withhold judgment. But if it displeases me -- even once -- I will not withhold withering criticism.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Don't Frisco my Lakewood!!!

I like Matt's because it is unique and has a very laid-back vibe. I don't want some fancy-shmancy Mi Cocina to replace it. Lakewood is great because it is an affluent neighborhood with a laid-back atmosphere. These new owners need to realize that and not change it too much. Otherwise, their endeavor will fail.

We LOVE Matt's. Been going to the Lakewood location for a long time. When they were opening up out here in Garland my teenager responded, "NO!!! Then we don't get to see all of the pretty houses.". LOL!!!
The service at Matt's is a well oiled machine. If it looks like people are hanging out the door and the wait might be an hour or more..... it never is. They can bring it. We can stop there on the way to hockey games and still have time to spare even if we are running a tad later than we would prefer.
Their margarita's are so good. Love their tenderloin fajitas as well as The Bob.

Oh well, Garland has happily embraced Matt's and they have garnered a rather nice following

Old 07-18-2011, 03:36 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
To the parking issues: I visited Portland last year and was pleasantly surprised to see how people didn't get into a tizz over having to park a few blocks from their destination (brunch, dinner, etc). Didn't see any pseudo valet either. It was very neighborhood-y with interesting unique retail, restaurants. People who were parking didn't litter up or urinate onto the neighborhood lawns (as mentioned in the comments of the Advocate article) - maybe Portland folks are more civilized than Dallas folks. :-)

Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
To the parking issues: I visited Portland last year and was pleasantly surprised to see how people didn't get into a tizz over having to park a few blocks from their destination (brunch, dinner, etc). Didn't see any pseudo valet either. It was very neighborhood-y with interesting unique retail, restaurants. People who were parking didn't litter up or urinate onto the neighborhood lawns (as mentioned in the comments of the Advocate article) - maybe Portland folks are more civilized than Dallas folks. :-)
We're used to getting an easy parking space right in front of whatever business we want. That attitude needs to become extinct.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I'm the opposite. I don't park right in front of the doors of any business. I don't want the possible scratches that comes from all of the people walking between the cars. Besides, the walk never hurt anyone. Which this is what baffles me....... at the gym....... why is everyone trying to park as close to the front door as possible? You are going in there to workout A few extra steps isn't going to hurt you. But you see cars circling around for those first few rows. Me, I've already zipped to the back of the parking lot, parked and walked all the way in by the time they MIGHT get a spot. LOL!

We never had a problem parking at Matt's or anywhere else in Lakewood. Then again, we were never looking for the front door spot either.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I have to remind everyone who wasn't here before the 1980s -- the original Abrams Road was turned into parking (Abrams Parkway) as the new Abrams (going by Lakewood Country Club) is a by-pass. So we really have more parking in the shopping center than in the old days. Also the Wells-Fargo (original Lakewood Bank) tower has a large garage that is mostly unused, especially on the nights and weekends. Also that parking lot out front was originally several buildings including a semi-famous waffle house - so add that into the equation.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Ha - a Lakewood Elem/Woodrow/SMU friend was at the HP Village Mi Cocina the other night and 'checked-in' on Facebook. She was laughing about how everyone was showboating and what a fashion show it was. Somebody posted, "tell them to keep out of Lakewood" and it prompted some lively comments!
Ok, I have to call this on the carpet. Judging people because they are "showboating" is just as bad as judging people because they "keep it real" in Lakewood. The fact is there are different strokes for different folks. If you don't like the brands on display in the Park Cities because they aren't the brands you prefer (and make no mistake, this mentality that Lakewood is laid back is just a brand) then don't go there. I get tired of the "we're better than you because we drive a Ford, not a Mercedes" mentality that gets tossed around on this forum. It's just as fake, just in a different way. Judging is judging. Period.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas