Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
I can see how the placebo effect might help someone not feel hungry for a few days, but I doubt it would really keep hunger away for 40 days. I personally think there is something to HCG, and I don't care what others say. I know some of you will feel the need to repeat yourself like a broken record about how it doesn't work, but it's working for me and that's all I care about.
But there is no time limit on the placebo effect. It is there, and if a study is performed properly so that the subjects are randomly assigned to the tested product or placebo and neither the person receiving it or the person giving it knows who is on placebo and who is not, you can show whether there is a difference in the two. All that is working for you is a low calorie diet.

Quote:
I am well aware that if I don't change my eating habits, I'll gain the weight back. This is what's happened with every other method I've tried, including low cal/high exercise, Atkins, South Beach, NutriSystem, etc. All those times I gained the weight back, it was not the fault of the method I chose to lose the weight. It was my own fault for not having self control, and indulging my sweet tooth and eating at restaurants too much.
And if you go off the HCG and eat the way you did before, you will gain weight. In fact, you are likely to gain more because you have lowered your resting metabolic rate by losing muscle if you take in less than about 1200 calories per day.

Quote:
With the HCG, I am dropping weight and my body is reshaping. Is it easy? Heck no, it's not. It's certainly not a miracle cure that allows one to eat whatever they want. It's very strict and regimented. Is it possible that the loss is occurring from the low calorie level, and not from the HCG? Sure, it's possible, but as long as I'm losing I don't really care. I'm not hungry, and my energy levels are fine. For me, that's good enough. I have had a good experience with HCG, but I would not recommend it to anyone who is lacking the motivation to stick with the protocol.
See my reply above. With the same diet, you would lose exactly the same amount of weight with or without the HCG.

Quote:
I think what it comes down to is that there is not just one solution that works for everyone. There are many different diets and lifestyle choices that work, depending on the individual. I have no doubt that lots of people find success with WW or Jenny Craig or whatever. We all just have to find what works best for us. For me, HCG gives me comparable weight loss to when I did Atkins, and slightly higher losses than when I did NutriSystem. All 3 work well though, if you can stick to them.

Anyway, I just wanted to post my experience, since I see that everyone who posts anything positive about HCG gets accused of making an account just to promote it. I've been a member since long before I ever even heard of HCG, and I've tried to present my honest account of my successes and failures at weight loss. I wish success to everyone who is trying to lose weight. I would recommend HCG, but I would also recommend Atkins or NutriSystem. NutriSystem for me was the easiest of the 3, but I got bored with it because I was vegetarian at the time, which greatly limited the available food options.
Testimonials like yours do not prove HCG helps weight loss. Multiple double blind placebo controlled studies have shown it does not.

Quote:
I am not obese, but am someone who has a major sweet tooth and love of carbs, so as a result I am constantly taking off and putting back on the same 20 pounds. At this point, I think it's more about my mental state than my diet- I just need to have better will power to avoid the bad stuff. HCG has helped me get the pounds off, and now it's up to me to do the maintenance. The one common theme between all these diets, and the one thing I'm sure we can all agree on, is to avoid excess sugar and refined carbs. That's probably the best place to start for anyone who doesn't want to do an extreme diet.
There you have it. You have made a commitment this time. HCG has nothing to do with it. If you want to spend your money on a placebo, that is fine. The science shows HCG does not cause weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argarcia View Post
Hi, I would like to ask were you bought the HCG. So how much have you lost since you've been on it?
I would suggest that you read the entire thread before wasting your money on HCG.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argarcia View Post
Hi, I would like to ask were you bought the HCG. So how much have you lost since you've been on it?
I went to a naturopathic doctor and I think the 40 day injections was $500. I lost 48 lbs.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 PM

439 posts, read 852,610 times
HCG does work, there is research behind it. If you are one of the ppl who did not go over the program and is just talking hearsay please do not.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
....... there is research behind it.
Yeah, research by the fed govt who says its a scam.
Research by several doctors that I know who says its ineffective at best, harmful at worst.
Research by certified personal trainers who know its a horrible way to lose weight.
Research by nutritionists who say its a horrible way to lose weight.
Research that I put into it myself with more than 15 years in health/fitness.

If you had a 12 year old daughter who was severely overweight would you put her on a diet that calls for her to binge on pancakes and starchy sugary fattening foods like cake sausage, doughnuts, etc. for a day or two then have her eat ONLY 500 calories per day while injecting some proven-to-be ineffective and a scam HCG into her veins? Of course you would not do this to your child because it would be child endangerment if you did.

DO NOT DO HCG PEOPLE!! DO NOT TAKE HCG!!!! There are hundreds of safer, more effective ways to lose weight out there. Do not do this HCG. Even your own Primary Care Physician will tell you NOT to do this diet.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
The FDA said HCG was a fraud earlier this year.
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) said there was no statistically significant difference between those receiving HCG vs. placebo during any phase of study.
I personally know physicians who refuse to administer HCG.
Duh...eat 500 calories daily and anyone will lose weight (for now).

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
its comical that anyone takes this seriously as some sort of diet. i believe hcg is derived from the urine of pregnant women.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
What the FDA DID approve HCG for:
HCG
This medication is a hormone used in boys (before puberty) to cause the normal dropping of the testicles into the *******. It is also used in certain boys to help with normal sexual development. It works by causing the testes to release male sex hormones (e.g., testosterone).
This medication is also used in women to treat fertility problems. It is given after finishing another medication (menotropins) to cause the release of an egg (ovulation). It should not be used in women whose ovaries no longer make eggs properly (primary ovarian failure).
This medication has not been shown to be effective for weight loss and should not be used for this purpose.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Yeah, research by the fed govt who says its a scam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
The FDA said HCG was a fraud earlier this year..
I won't get into HCG at all (don't know; don't care), but don't use such ridiculous arguments... A fraud announcing something else is a fraud is hardly convincing.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
The FDA said HCG was a fraud earlier this year.
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) said there was no statistically significant difference between those receiving HCG vs. placebo during any phase of study.
I personally know physicians who refuse to administer HCG.
Duh...eat 500 calories daily and anyone will lose weight (for now).
I know two people that lost a lot of weight on this....and gained it all back and more. I agree....with 500 calories a day...anyone will lose weight. This diet is not healthy. Who knows the damage it is causing to your body and the damage might not be evident till years later.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss